SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
It's opening debut was at the 1969 Genévé motor Show, it never raced in anger and came from a growing need to explore safety and design in what was a very dangerous time for Formula 1 racing.

The Sigma Grand Prix monoposto F1....

QUOTE Space-age Pininfarina design showing the F1 car of the future. Never intended to race, it showed innovations such as a driver survival cell, multi-layer fuel tanks, a fire extinguisher system and sidepods protruding behind the rear wheels to prevent interlocking wheels. Uneligible for contemporary F1 and overweight at 590kg.

I will leave the full details of this fascinating car for you to explore should you aquire the model from SCX or go surfing the Net but here is a short snippet explaining WHY it was made and who was involved...

QUOTE As a consequence of the fatal accidents which occured following the introduction of Formula 1 with 3.0 litres engines in 1966, various international organisations called for greater safety in signle seaters and tracks. The Swiss, always keen on humanitarian causes, were pioneers in proposing new measures to make the narrow 'pure' F1 cars less lethal; these cars were grossly over-powered (450HP) and at the time had tyres which were too narrow.
The prestigious Swiss Revue Automobile and the French ex.driver and journalist Paul Frere managed to set up a project for a 'safe' F1 single seater in 1968, the very year in which there were most accidents, as a consequence of the introduction of ailerons.
The Revue Automobile had the backing of two of the big names of the time: Scuderia Ferrari and the bodywork maker Pininfarina.
It also had two leading scientists and expperts in car safety, Professor Ernst Fiala and Doctor Michael henderson. Ferrari contributed to the project, known by the Greek letter 'Sigma, one of its F-1 312s including the V12 engine.
For this reason the Sigma would have exactly the same measruements as the Ferrari which was racing in the championship.
The gearbow, wheels..everything was real and in use in the 1968 Grand Prix

The Formula 1 Grand Prix championship was won that year by Jackie Stewart in a Matra Ford.

SCX made a few versions of the Sigma (REF: 4047), in unrealistic and gaudy colours (white, yellow and orange), back in the 1970s to 1980s, where it enjoyed a production run stretching over 9 years. But the real Sigma Jewel (IMHO) came for them with the two year old re release.

It follows closely the design and colour of the real thing and comes in a collector tin (below) complete with a full history of the car and people involved.

Detailing and finish are good, it could do with a light colour wash round the engine bay to give a level of depth but that is just me.

Although the motor looks archaic, it really suits this non magnet car. Pushing it quietly and smoothly round the track at very reasonable speeds, although it requires concentration.

All we really require are some affordable F1 cars from the same Era to run with it! Come on you Manufacturers - how about it?

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Very Interesting Swiss......but that is one ugly car!.

Regards

Alan

PS I guess it comes in a tin so no one has to look at it.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I too had never been very fond of the rather chubby looking SCX model. But the photo of the actual car looks considerably more sleek and graceful - THAT I really do like.
It's lovely.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Actually, the Swiss DO still build a Formula 1 car, Swiss.

In the town of Hinwil near Zurich, there is an opertation run by a gentleman by the name of Peter Sauber....

Sauber of course brought Mercedes back into motor racing and the partnership netted victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1989 and the World Sportscar Championship manufacturers' and drivers' title in 1989 and 1990. Sauber entered Formula One in 1993, with the Sauber C12, powered by a Mercedes-Ilmor engine.

The Sigma reminds me of the 1964 Harvey Aluminum Special:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Nice to see the Harvey Aluminium Spl again, Russell! Always had a soft spot for it despite it often being the only bodyshell on the grid at 'F1' races back in the old days. Easy to see why- you could slip your best sports car chassis right in there. But it has a kind of squat purposefulness about it- and a great paint job!
Anyone still got an old slot racing example to show?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts

Yep! a seriously bad title choice there ehh Russell?

Especially when I live 10 minutes from Hinwil

I have, it seems, a bad blind spot for Sauber this is at least the second time I have made reference to Swiss Motor Sport and forgotten them entirely.

I am suitably chastened and maybe should invite them to the Swiss Race Bahn so I won't forget them next time.

Lotus - I doubt it is competitive at all, but then to my mind there is more to the hobby than just competitive racing. It is simply alot of fun to drive.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
You really should invite the Sauber guys, Swiss. I'm sure that they would love it and it would be great publicity for Swiss Racebahn. You could race Carrera F1 Saubers, but keep Massa away -- he's likely to have a 'massa'ive crash

Howmet, about two years ago I was fortunate to visit Chas Keeling at his home in Leeds. Chas showed me his magnificent 1/32nd scale Harvey Aluminum Special, which he had built for the 1st ECRA British National Championships, held in Watford in November 1964.

It is probably the most fabulous 1/32nd scale car that I've ever seen. Appropriately, the body was formed from aluminium sheet. It is 4-wheel drive, with steering and has beautifully made tiny brass universal joints. Interestingly, the motor layout is an 'anglewinder'.... back in 1964! Chas positioned the motor like that (a K's, if I recall correctly) to drive bevelled contrate gears on each axle. There is a small picture of the car on the cover of the February 1965 issue of Model Cars magazine; it came second in Concours to Dick Parker's Mercedes-Benz 20SSK. I really wished that I had taken my camera.

If anyone ever gets up to see Chas, please be sure to photograph the car for us!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the SCX Sigma; I think pictures don't do the model justice : on the track it is a beautiful model, and runs reasonably well. Of course no chance to tune or modify : originality is the word, and it's a pleasure to have on the shelf.

Ciao

1 - 9 of 9 Posts