SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after some intensive build work, the loft area is finally mine again.
The removal of a chimney, for more space, and the addition of a large Velux, has let a whole lotta natural light in there, and a lovely breeze too.

I now have a floor area of 6m x 5.2m, and this is what is sitting upon it right now:

The track flows from top left to bottom right along the main straight. It is 46m in length, and an average lap is 12 seconds.
The RMS program shows the 2 bridges incorrectly. The main straight is flat, and the 2 bridges go over it.
I think there is a good mix of flat out straights and technical curved sections to keep it interesting, and challenge all varietys of cars.

I am toying with the idea of going digital??, but looking at the layout i think there is only one place where a curved LC would go. (behind the laptop). Any other LC's would have to be of the straight variety, or involve track design alteration. Still undecided at the mo?? Any advice??

Pix will follow in a few days.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Zipp,
I know full well you only posted to make me jealous and you have succeeded

QUOTE " addition of a large Velux, has let a whole lotta natural light in there, and a lovely breeze too"
I have been confined to downstairs for what seems like a lifetime with the heat! No seriously I am jealous! But you have done the right thing one day I will do the same.

Now you must do the right thing again and "go digital" you know it's you, PC timing switching lanes, blocking DJ….the cutting edge of the hobby.

There is an initial cost involved but you can climb over that hurdle gradually. It probably would involve some design changes to your track I think you may be running the wrong way for Digital but that is a minor consideration. It would be a shame to have all that track and not put it to full use.

I know you have wanted quietly to switch for some time, but you need to get in now before the Four car powerbases take over you do need the Six car one with Rich's cable to connect to your PC.

All the powering of the LC's etc would be fun to you, and I can see that the pit lane would be a fantastic addition to your track.

Start saving your pennies up now, you know it makes sense.

Ian

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys

Ian,
QUOTE Now you must do the right thing again and "go digital"You know that link you sent with the digi converter kit for sale?..........Well i kinda bought it!
(you did say you were paying half, right)?

Rob, Astro,
I dont think i will be going down the scenic route on this one.
It may be fun to create different circuits in that space, rarther than be restricted by landscape? Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed doing the smaller scenic stuff, but i don't have your patience for tackling a big track.
I think i will stick to what interests me the most, and that is track designing, and pulling the throttle. I am kinda hoping this digital stuff is gonna light my fire?
A bit of bumper to bumper action?

DJ,
Always room for you here mate.
Oh, by the way, you may need to shell out about £1000 to chip all your cars now?
Don't worry though,
Bleep says he will pay half, as he pushed the digi idea at me in the first place!!

LMP,
46 metres is not bad for an attic track, me thinks.
It is actually a longer lap length than when we hired out the badminton court that time. Linky

Alan,
Here are some pix, not very exciting, but at least you get the gist.

looking left from controller positions. Across the final bridge into the tight, tricky esses section, up to the top corner and then into the main (17 piece) straight.

Down the main straight, under both bridges along the way, into the medium left hander which leads in to another short (8 piece) straight, and the heart of the circuit.

Under the Good Year bridge into the 1st of two hairpins, out into a mellow kink left, and then a couple of right handers and down a short straight before coming almost full circle in R2's and then a series of switchbacks. These open out into a straightaway with a single R4 midway.

Hard braking on the approach to the R1 chicane, immediately followed by the 2nd hairpin.

Two medium straights follow, with only a 90deg R4 curve to quickly lift off for, and then straight back on the power. This leads you around to the second over bridge, and into the infield section with a sneaky little R2/R3 combo, which can easily get you all crossed up!!

back round over the second bridge, to complete the lap.

I think i will put a short video clip together soon , to better show the flow.
Laterz

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
HI, you do realise you don't have to use every piece of track you own.
Impressive

·
Ian
99 Posts
Zipp,
I Just put the cheque in the post I'm sure you'll have it soon.

You have been really spoilt of late Flashy new window new floor chimney removed and now going Digital how much was your lottery win then?

As for chipping "all" the cars, I would start just with the ones you use the most.

This may help with the new track design to incorporate three/ four lanes etc

Here

One or two little bits of information to read

Here

One of the most important bits of software you Must get!

here

Oh and of course Rich's cable!!!

And this from Rubenio

here

That would keep any one else busy for a few days I'll post some more for you in the morning

Ian

NB just checked your track and it does run the right way for SSD

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Nitro,
Cheers,
I think i have used all of mine and some of DJ's too.
(shhh, don't tell him)

Ian,
Yeah, the lottery win. How did you know anyway? I was trying to keep that quiet.
We got six numbers up, 4 weeks ago, the only problem was, they were spread over two tickets, but I am sure the £20 will cover the work done so far!?

Cheers for all the info. I will start reading then, i may be gone for a while...............

·
Ian
99 Posts
zipp,

Fantastic to see all the old threads being revisited and the name thats opening them all up "zipp". I know it won't be long before your up and running with all the latest info. I think you are joining at a great time despite what is said in the "Why are Clubs not using Digital" Thread. Everything is really coming together I am very happy with the functionality I have and I'm not the only one. It is getting better by the day. With people like Rich & Rubenio others to numerous to mention I can see you will be adding your name to the list soon!!!!!! I know how you question things.

Ian

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
the 'back' straights are fast, is it an R3 or R4 radius link..are you using magnets? Scenery to look like Laguna Seca or Dubai would be 'easiest' for this scale and very effective.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nitro,

4x R4's make the link on the outside straights.
Yes, magnets are in effect on the slot.it Audi in the vid, although most of my fleet is now shod in Ortmanns and magless, so those laptimes will be closer to 20secs, i suspect.
QUOTE Scenery to look like Laguna Seca or Dubai would be 'easiest' for this scale and very effective.One ton bag of sand to be ordered then.
Are you coming round to help cart it up?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Great driving lines, and HUGE, and you could eleven curved LC's if you see Drummers post (dont have the link with me sorry), effectively you can put a curved LC anywhere you can fit two standard curves together.
obviously you use a car "grabber" to grab your cars?
Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.