SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit, I am totally inept and tools hate me...truly! LOL I have been looking at tables here and they all seem homemade! They look very strong and sturdy. What size are the tables? I know there are more than one placed next to each other and can be moved around to cover any track layout. I really have nobody to ask for help to even build one for me, so may just end up placing my track on a cement floor in the basement. Not ideal, but don't know what other option there is. Any advice or ideas are very welcome! Thank you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I highly recommend the 30" wide by 72" long folding plastic tables from Menards. They are about $45 a piece, and you'll need 4 or 5 of them, but they are easy to transport, easy to store, easy to setup, water/moisture resistant, and plenty strong. If you measure them, they are only about 28 to 29" wide, which is a little disappointing. I use Harbor Freight clamps (about $3 a piece) to clamp the table tops together, making the whole thing feel pretty solid.

With lumber prices where they are right now, I don't think you can beat them on price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the great idea! I was thinking along that line, but wasn't sure how to connect those kinds of folding leg tables together! I appreciate the help...you saved me a lot of headaches! I totally forgot how expensive lumber is now, due to the fools in D.C. :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:(y)

·
David H
4,207 Posts
I designed a table frame out of box-section steel and commissioned a steel fabricator to make it for me, onto which I've laid 15mm MDF sheets. It wasn't much more expensive than buying several ready-made tables, or building one myself out of wood.

The main reason for designing it myself and using steel was so that it was strong enough not to need loads of legs, which means that the space underneath is completely free of obstructions and can be used for storage.

So that the frame would fit through the largest door into my house, it was made in three sections, plus its legs, then bolted together. Even with the MDF sheet just laid on top, rather than screwed into place, it's rock solid, with no vibration or resonance at all.

Property Shade Wood Wall Fixture

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Table

Automotive design Wood Flooring Floor Art

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Given your background with tools, I also recommend these folding tables.
I used them in my previous garage as a base for the track. I think I ended up with 9 of them.
You can still use the space underneath them to store boxes, as dopamine shows in his pics, but you will have to negotiate more legs.
In my new place, a fiend of mine built one for me with caster wheels so I can move the track when parking the car in the garage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have an Ikea near to you could also use this at the front for substructure:

Without the rolls and with an 18mm/2/3 inch plate you will have a nice height for your Racetrack.
And already enough space for cars, equipment and spare parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I designed a table frame out of box-section steel and commissioned a steel fabricator to make it for me, onto which I've laid 15mm MDF sheets. It wasn't much more expensive than buying several ready-made tables, or building one myself out of wood.

The main reason for designing it myself and using steel was so that it was strong enough not to need loads of legs, which means that the space underneath is completely free of obstructions and can be used for storage.

So that the frame would fit through the largest door into my house, it was made in three sections, plus its legs, then bolted together. Even with the MDF sheet just laid on top, rather than screwed into place, it's rock solid, with no vibration or resonance at all.

View attachment 283582
View attachment 283583
View attachment 283584
What are the dimension's of this track?

Bob

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Gas
I am finally starting to build my table on which to mount my plastic track.

Supports are a couple of five tier plastic garage/pantry storage shelves that cost me $68 total at Home Depot.

These can be use to create 5 double shelf support tables at any height using sections of schedule 40 PVC plastic pipe.

Lightweight $10 4x8 foam wall insulation sheets are set on top of /attacked to the top shelf on 8’ centers allowing the creation of a sturdy but lightweight table in a 4’x32’ footprint. Other smaller/larger sizes can be created.

A 4’x32’ table can be created for ~$120 US.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
I love this track! 4 laner in such a space is a feast and the flow seems really good.
I wish I could make something like that with carrera.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
It is not just the space but also the limitation to only 4 radii.
The could do easily an R0 and R5 which would bring them to the same number of radii as Scaleauto track system.
And the rant i have is with the weird angles of their corners (eg, why not making an R3 of 15 to match up with the R4).

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Reactions: Laudafan

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is actually a very good idea.
I extended the table to the maximum size I can make in my living room. I also need to be able to sit somewhere :)
I drilled the holes for the beams and with a bigger drillbit, so I can hide the screws. I will fill the space around the screws with some woodfiller.
The total size of the table is now 264 x 325 cm. At one side I extended it with 61 cm. I propped that part up with hard cardboard cores. 12 cm. diameter, thickness of the cardboard 1 cm. I work in a paper mill where these cores are used to roll paper. Those are sturdy! At the other side I extended it with MDF 20 cm. At the front also 20 cm. I choosed MDF 18 mm. thick. Wasn´t that expensive either: 2440 x 1220 x 18 mm. was € 34.00.

Hood Automotive tire Tread Bumper Wood
Asphalt Road surface Flooring Wood Sidewalk
Water Wood Floor Road surface Gas
Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey Floor
Road surface Asphalt Flag Tar Wood
Furniture Table Wood Desk Stool

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last week I bought another table to go in the spare room. To put the analog track (Policar starting set) on. For transportation I took the legs off. Coming home I put them back on. Stubborn as I am, I tried to turn back the table on his legs on my own. Never do that! One leg collapsed. Holy ****. What to do now? Phoned IKEA if they sell them separately. No. Buying another second hand table? No. Solution... I mounted a beam against the wall, there where a leg is missing. The table is resting on that beam. It works out perfectly. I just need to attach the table to the wall with some long screws to secure it. For now it´s fine, but my grandchildren will try to climb on it. I know them 😂 o_O On that table I will put an MDF piece of wood. 2440 x 1220 x 18 mm. Because I cannot move the table, that MDF will stick out at two sides. Underneath there I will get some more cores from work to support the MDF.

Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Hardwood
Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain Composite material
Wood Rectangle Textile Art Floor

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.