SlotForum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you portals for a very considered reply.

Back story is that more years ago than I care to recall I was a very enthusiastic rug racer, let's just say that it was Airfix 1/32, most of which was sold off long ago, apart from two Ferrari/Cooper F1 sets, both of which I still have in their original (albeit somewhat tatty) boxes. I gave the hobby away in favor of model railways about the time I was married, a small semi-permanent model railway being more easily managed domestically than miles of slots on a small apartment floor.

However I now find the lure of digital slots drawing me back into the hobby. I am now of an age and disposition though which makes rug racing impossible, however a reasonably sized semi-permanent track, easily set up and dismantled is very do-able. Hence the table tennis table idea...

How will it be used? All of the above! Mostly though, I suspect it will be me driving something reasonably tuned, no mags, against the clock or pacers. There will also be times though when a small group of adults will get together to race not too seriously over a beer or two, using standard scaleys, mags included. And kids down to about 9-year-olds, driving handicapped cars of the low-detail, high impact sort. To me this seems to be one of the appeals of digital, I have the Magic app and although I have yet to seriously try it out, it seems ideal for adapting one track to multiple uses.

Modeling wise, the years in toy trains weren't wasted, and I have no problems building up level infield/outfield, adding lines etc. Track barriers will be scratch built, I don't like scaley barriers, and I think mostly of the fake stacked tire rubber tube sort, but whatever I use, it won't be of the slide-around-on-the-rear-guard sort. There will be a perspex (or leaf-guard) barrier around the edge of the board to prevent deslots meeting the floor, and that's what I was referring to above, that particular plan having two curves right on the edge of the board, both of them hairpins....

The more I look at that last plan though, the better I like it. I think though it will drive better in the opposite direction, although that puts the power base back in a less than perfect location since I can't move it to the other end of the pits. Anyway here is another spammed version, together with the source file for anyone interested in having a play. Critical issues are the board can't be bigger, and board joins must coincide with track joins. Custom cut-to-fit straights are not a problem...

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
if you took the 1/4 straight on the rh end of the pit straight and put it up to the start of the sweeper bend ,that would bring the track away from the edge

basically just pushing that inner section a bit closer to the middle of the table

havent thought about the other bend on the edge yet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
you know you can change the direction of travel of the PB in it's settings, so no need to re-site it.

And as I said before if you separate the PB from it track piece you can place it anywhere.
Wasn't certain about the direction being re-set-able, so it can be flipped to outside the track, but it still can't be on the main straight, LH end is right after a curve the rest of it is pit entry/exit and lxc...

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I think it is a matter of getting some track down on the table now and just having a go .. that is if it is not already there. Don’t stick it down though because it does not matter how good it looks on paper, you are bound to want to change it several times, or more, once you begin to experiment with cars underway.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
For the space constraints you have there, these layouts look all good to me.

I read you saying that you have the Magic app: are you going to use it with this layout?

Because if this is the case then it will work with the Arc Pro: this powerbase has a full straight and not a half as for the APB (as per your layout).

I am sure that you are aware of this but wanted to double check.

If you want to stick with the APB then you need to get RCS64, a PC/laptop and a cable to connect the APB to the PC/laptop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
the Arc Pro: this powerbase has a full straight and not a half as for the APB (as per your layout).

I am sure that you are aware of this but wanted to double check.
Oops. Yup, Arc Pro base....

UR3 has no full straight power base, and when I started designing I used a half straight graphic with a grid half alongside, but somewhere along the line that constraint got forgotten and I've blithely carried on with just the half. Bum,bum,bum. That's opened a whole new can of worms!

Best I got on the fly is this, either that or put the pb back in the middle of the RH board...

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
I might be wrong, but you might have another problem with the Arc Pro: out of the box can count laps only in one direction.

I don't recall if DrC has a fix for this as well.

Sorry to be such a bearer of bad news...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.