SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I must say there is a serious problem with SSDC based on my latest findings! In free practice with no pace car for traffic we were able to do 20 laps or more without crashes. As soon as the system was set to race mode and a pace car was active for several laps we were unable to make a whole lap without a crash. Fortunately the bug was short term and self-fixed and racing became more reasonable. Clearly the SSDC needs to invoke a NOT A RACE mode for at leat ten laps before getting into race mode

More seriously we learnt a few things:-

One of the cars (mine of course) regularly came off at one XLC by apparently hitting the plastic point in the middle of the X. My competitor never used that LC. After some trials it became clear that it was my car. It became apparent that after a few thousand laps the guide had worn back about 0.5mm and had some londitudinal wear lines. Basically it looked slightly worn , but very little really. Nontheless the guide was replaced and the difference remarcable. Before there was always a "tap" sound as it passed the X even if it did work. Now it crossed reliably and quietly. So beware guides. However not too bad as I guess we are talking 30 to 40 hrs life for the guide.

First race had a problem re-fueling, we got a track call every time sombody re-fuled. (ps still on 5.4 must upgrade). Found out that refuel time set to 0.5 sec low throttle as was track call. Re set track call to 1 sec and problem went away. Not for us a perfect solution as often when we crash we block the other lane so the delay does not neccessarily bring universal benerfit to the none crashing racers. However it is a very minor irritent. I wounder if this could shed any light on the "pit calls on the straight type issue".

Cheers Brian

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that problem with more crashes during a race. It would be cool if we could set up SSDC to declare that a race is not a race until all the cars cross the finish line.

For the guide hitting the crossover point in the XLC, that was more likely the wiring in the car pulling the guide to one side. Replacing the guide itself caused you to fiddle with the wires, and the result was that the new guide was on-center as it should be. If you have a car do that again, try opening it up and adjusting the wires so that they pull equally on both sides. When the guide centers automatically, it will be much less likely to hit those points, as well as flipper tips! High end cars like Slot.it and NSR have their wires retained on each side specifically to encourage guide centering. This is why some cars have a guide centering spring, but in many cases those are TOO strong. A freely rotating guide with wires that cause it to return to center is the best solution.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AAAGH! Ive thrown the offending guid away ;-). Thanks I will watch for that one in future!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I can't remember where I got this from ..... but it's an interesting concept..
View attachment 9781
It may even be of interest to the occasional analogue racer on a digital track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts