SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last another car is finished. This George Turner car was started back in the summer and has been pretty much a straight build, almost as intended.

The chassis is the standard GTM item, though the two halves were bonded together rather than screwed. The motor is Scaley FF, the guide also Scalextric.

The wheels of course are my own, with urethane tyres made to suit.

The blue is probably too dark, the next car is painted in Tamiya French Blue, much closer to what looks right.

The choice of car I cannot explain. Guy Mairesse, a Frenchman, had a few successes early in his career, but didn't do so well later on. He died (1952?) after swerving to avoid another car.

ERA next, almost done...

Peter.

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Lovely!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
That just looks simply superb,............simply superb.
I painted my Mac Pinches Lago with Tamiya French blue and I think it
looks a tad too light. The colour on yours looks great. Then theres
the detail............fantastic.
Thanks for posting.

Eric

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Beautifully detailed, many congratulations, it's fabulous.
(love the heat discolouration on the exhaust manifold)

·
Administrator
9,837 Posts
Beautiful job Peter, I'm sure you'll make a lot of my friends here in France very jealous.

Was Guy the father of Willy? (believe it or not, a member of our slot club here was also named Willy Mairesse...)

Don

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Peter,

Super work, those wheels look really nice, and set the model off a treat. Are they brake drums I see through the spokes?

George's shells are definatly some of the best on the market. My only comment would be is that the louvre's are a little thick, but other than that, it is superb.

How did you do the heat discolouration on the exhaust?

Regards
Jon

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank for the kind compliments.

Don. To the best of my knowledge Guy (French) was no relation to the excellent Willy Mairesse who did so well in the yellow cars. Has any manufacturer done the Mairesse GT40?

Jon. The exhaust is the standard resin part from George Turner with an aluminium foil coating. For the discolouration, a few permanent markers were borrowed/stolen from Mrs Sussex, black, blue, orange and yellow. it took ages to get it right. Yes, I'd agree, the louvres are too heavy, as in chunky. I'm still looking into scale louvres. The Healey 100S is not dead, merely sleeping...

Kev. Only this evening I saw a Cartrix car on eBay, cream coloured everything. A pity as the detail could not be seen.

Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Beautiful workmanship, Peter, including your wheels, the cockpit, exhaust and front suspension.
I've always loved the full-scale cars, since seeing them as a youngster, and nowadays have a print of a painting of one in my study.
Guy Mairesse died in 1954 in practice for the Coupe de Paris at Montlhery, driving someone else's car. He'd been a lorry (truck) driver before the war and built up a long-distance haulage business. His brief racing career was mainly for his friend Paul Vallee's Ecurie France team and included 2nd at Le Mans in 1950. He bought two of the team's Talbots when it wound up, but his business commitments meant he didn't do much racing in them.
He probably wasn't related to Willy. Besides one being French and the other Belgian, no connection is mentioned by Steve Small in his comprehensive The Grand Prix Who's Who. However, Guy did have Belgian motorsport friends and drove a few times for Ecurie Belgique in 1951, in both its yellow Talbot (at San Remo) and his own car with Ecurie Belgique support. He seems to have driven his own car in the two championship races that he contested in 1951 (the Swiss and French GPs), though entered under the Ecurie Belgique name.
The age difference is inconclusive: Guy b1910, Willy 1928. Guy was born in La Capelle, l'Aisne, so if he grew up there too and was a truck driver at 17 or 18, well, Belgium wasn't far away.
The Ecurie Belgique Talbot was also driven in a few GPs by Andre Pilette and Jacques Swaters. The better-known Belgian Talbot at the time, of course, was that of Johnny Claes, generally entered under the name of Ecurie Belge.
I lost a built-up Merit Talbot in a house fire in 1994 but have since found two replacements kits, one Merit, one the SMER repro. You inspire me to build them, Peter, even as 1/24 statics.
Rob J

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is my ProtoSlot version.

I wish I had your wheels on this. Don't get me wrong...the ProtoSlot ones are good but yours are perfection!

I think I like the louvers better on mine...less chunky but some are still the wrong way round.

Can I get your tyres? mine are very plain. I just realized the mold flash has not been trimmed off the exhaust either. Poop!

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hi Peter, the cream Cartrix one is a limited edition of 200 . They sometimes bring out a very limited edition before the main run of 1500.
When I saw it with cream tyres I thought that it would be a static, but that is not the case.
Belkris, your model is also beautiful.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Registered
229 Posts

WOW, Peter. This model is an absolute masterpiece. I think that this is the limit that you can go in scratch building, it takes my breath away, welldone.
Cheers,
Danny

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
That is excellent work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts