SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi Guys.
I mounted a body from this series of cars onto a slot chassis without any great problem.
It was the van called, I think, "Lunchbox", and it went straight onto a spare Fly Lola T70 chassis that I had laying around. The only difficulty was to make up some body mounting posts but I have a method for this worked out over years of converting static models into racers.
The Lola body went onto a Slot.it HRS chassis and one of my boy's toys donated a body to the Tamiya battery running gear.
Regards,
Lowrider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Coincidentally, I've just finished one of these.

(Apologies for the big photos)

The colour is actually a more green than these photos show (Vauxhall Caribic Blue).

The chassis is my first attempt at a home made TT setup. The motor holder is from an old metro. To make space for the drop arm I've angled it upwards and added two struts coming forward through which the front axle is mounted. This setup uses up a lot of room in the body and does raise the C of G. The dark windows hide the workings. No suspension, and only two wheel drive (as is the 1:1 baja beetle). The front wheels are ninco 356a the rears are mrrc cobra with ninco raid tyres. The drop arm is U section from a shop with a genuine STS spring. Looking at these photos now I realise I should have used black wire for the pickup.

I've not had time to test it on the track yet but it is designed to cope with SCX TT track obstacles.

I have some other bodies suitable for this type of conversion (incl. Tamiya Range Rover, Fujimi Porsche 959) so perhaps I'll perfect things in a later project.

Any comments welcome.

mdhnn

·
Registered
26 Posts
The drop arm is 71mm from pivot point to centre of guide flag hole. As compared to 67mm for a standard scx TT. The angle it drops by is slightly smaller to make the total drop the same as for a TT (approx 35mm below the bottom of the front tyre). I think it looks bigger in the photos because the beetle wheelbase is shorter (74mm as against 81mm for a TT) and the camera has a slightly wide angle lens. With the beetle being so short and the front of the body being immediately in front of the axle I had to put the guide flag out front. I'd already drilled the holes for the pivot point so the length of the arm was determined for me. As for handling, I still haven't tested it, I'll let you know. I think the lack of suspension and 4wd will be more of a factor though.

I would have also liked to have fitted a proper TT guide blade with the braids wrapping over the front for better contact when the arm is dropped. However, one of my SCX TT cars has a standard scalextric pickup and it doesn't seem to affect performance.

Cheers.

mdhnn

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
I got one of these! Hooray!

It's going to the back of the queue, as I want to get my '38 Beetle right for the small car proxy first, but as mine is hardly likely to go off-roading I'm probably going to keep mine on a trimmed Pink Kar chassis with Ninco Raid wheels all round, Raid tyres on the back and whatever skinnier covers will fit over the front ones for an authentic look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts