Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a couple of cars in the 80's Marlboro orange and white. One of them being this car here.

Looking around for suitable spray paints I've come across this.

It says not suitable for plastic models, I'm using plasticard, anyone got any experience with these paints or have suggestions on other paints I could use?

Thanks, Marlon.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Marlon..

My local model store sells mostly R/C stuff and he stocks this Tamiya paint for their polycarbonate clear bodies..

As Tamiya do some intresting colours in this range, I asked him what the difference was between the two types of paints. He said as far as he knows not a lot, as due to the very tight health and safety regs surrounding paint cans nowadays, they are both Acrylic based.

He seemed to think that the main difference, is that the polycarbonate paint dries matt, so if you are painting a body on the outside with it, you would have to use an acrylic clear top coat for a shine. If it had any adverse effect on styrene plastic, he did not know.

If its acrylic based, I cant see myself that there would be any adverse effects, apart from it drying matt.

Possible someone on here has tried this polycarbonate paint already on the outside of a plastic slotcar body, and would like to let us know how they got on.

When I find the time, I will purchase a can and experiment with it, just to see if you can use it on the "outside" of styrene plastics without any nasty after effects..

I will keep you posted on the outcome..

All the best.. Martin.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Works fine but dries matte as Martin said. No adverse affect noticed on either Scalex body or Lindberg static kit with plasticard additions. I've used the silver PS Tamiya paint for an undercoat to the clear colours of the TS range and it works well. One day I must get back to those particular projects and finish them off.

Embs

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how I get on if I go for the Tamiya Spray.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Despite lots of advice to the contrary I've never had any problems with using polycarbonate paint on stuff that wasn't lexan or PETG. I tend to use polycarbonate white sprays as an undercoat on flexible plastic Airfix-type soldiers and "tupperware" Scalextric shells as it has more of an etching effect and is flexible so resists chipping.

In my experience Tamiya doesn't dry as matte as other brands such as Custom Colour and Pactra which can dry like 6000 sandpaper especially if misted on in the correct technique.

Polycarbonate paint is quite "hot" (in the etching sense) but not as hot as conventional automotive primer anyway (I've tried using grey primer on lexan shells and the hottness splits them pretty much immediately). The only thing to watch out for is that Tamiya White for polycarbonate is a very aggressive paint and not the best thing for overcoating other paint types. Even when "backing" Tamiya colours on a clear shell you have to mist it on gently to avoid it melting through the other colour.

Coop

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Wandering through my local hardware shop today, I noticed that Plasti-kote do actually do a hobby fluorescent orange spray aerosol.

See Flourescents on the Plastikote website

Only drawback seems to be that looks to be available only in the quite large 400ml size, not the more handy 100ml that Plastikote do for their other colours .

Cheers !

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Thanks Britfix, I had another look around and found this can from halfords Orange. This should do the job without any drama's hopefully!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I bought a can of Customcolour (HorizonHobby) from a shop that stocks R/C cars.

It says "Acrylic based Polycarbonate Paint" so that kind of confirms what Martin said. Its gone onto a Ninco Megane Whitebody, with no apparent ill effects. However it does now need a gloss coat, but thats fine as I need to seal the decals anyway.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I would suggest caution, not with the paint type but rather, with the colour. Those McLarens were painted with a two part fluorescent paint called Rocket Red. It was certainly not orange.

But then, they're your cars so who cares?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Barry, its not right but close enough for what I'm doing....

it's just for a couple of plasticard efforts.

PS. those wheels are in the post

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
As I said, what does it really matter.

Thank you so much for the wheels. Seems I'm doing quite well.

I'm flying back to the U.K. tomorrow for my daughter's wedding but I'll probably be back near enough at the same time as the wheels, if not before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts