SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ey Up Guys,

We are about to install Slotmaster to "Big G" and secondly change from tape pick-up to copper braid.

Can anyone who has done this kindly post any tips you think might be appropriate please ??.

Have any of you had to do this under a bridge section where a router just can't go ??.

I would prefer not to cut and dismount the bridge section just to route the braid lands on 500mm of each lane.

You can see the track at Gainsborough Club site.

VBR Chris A.

ps: we intend to be holding invite meetings next year in both Slot-it Challenge and CSCRA formats.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Slot car corner has the special bit to cut the "gains", the groove that holds the braid, and they also have the two-sided tape for affixing the braid to the track. It works great, much easier than the old contact cement routine, although you need to paint the wood in the gains first so the tape will stick.

For under the bridge, you could "fake it" with a Dremel if there's room for that and a small milling bit. It would be tricky 'though.

Randy

·
Registered
522 Posts
There's really no good way to route under a bridge. I'd advise you to bite the bullet and dismount the bridge; you'll be happier if you do. The Slot Car Corner stuff is ideal for braiding. The double sided tape works really well (it's also used for hanging outdoor signage, so it's very strong). On my track (housed outside on a covered veranda), I've had no issues with braid coming unstuck in a good year of use.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
A few tips
Buy the braid first and check out how thick it is before cutting the braid recess. Then you can cut the recess just the right depth for your braid.
Degrease the braid before laying. It'll stay stuck better.
3M tape is a great way to stick braid - I think AB Slotsport has the right size tape in stock.

Routing under the bridge - well if you don't want to rout it, don't. A section of copper tape instead of braid under the bridge isn't really a problem.

Tape won't last for ever, so one day maybe you'll have to cut and dismount the bridge section to fix it.
Once you've bitten that bullet you might as well route the recesses and lay braid.

·
David Collins
2,454 Posts
Chris,

You know that Wellingborough did this to our Scalex track three year's ago did you speak to **** Kerr or Dave Farrow about it at the Classic Open? If not, it would be worth PM'ing them about it. I can't say much about it myself - I was conveniently on holiday or something...

Best of luck!

David

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Dave, enjoyed the recent meet, despite the "flood", good company,

re: braiding - I thought, in the dim recesses, that you had done this, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the response, any thoughts from the guys would be appreciated, especially about routing under the bridge section.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ey Up Our Kev.

Jeez, that is even beyond "left field" !!??.

I will have to adjust my brain and think about that.

Kev, you just never know, that is either genius or mad !!.

Give me a day or two.

vbr Chris.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We went down this path for one local track about 20 months ago. We bit the bullet and removed the overbridge.

We routed the gains painted, re-fitted the bridge, and taped and braided, from memory we passed the open braid under the bridge as we did each run, with a tail and hole near it.

Here is the finished article.

For my own new track, I simply made the bridge high enough to accomodate Fly Trucks, and the roll of braid, and did my new track in-situ.
So that may be an option for you once you have routed the gains. We painted my track with the bridge in place, including laying down layers of masking tape and paint for yellow lines" etc.

·
Lee Beswick
1,217 Posts
Thanks for the tips Slotcrazy....this bridge section is going to the trickiest bit for us and we'll try anything to avoid chopping it out, but like you say we might have to in the end

You track looks great by the way
What is it painted with?

Kev - we going to see you back at G once the big track is up and running again?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
that's not my track, it's another member of our club. I think he's a member here, but not sure. It is painted in a dove grey gloss enamel, and it's a blast to drive.

Some of our local members tracks tracks are enamel, some are acrylic (water based) semi-gloss or gloss, and those then mostly have a clear coat over them,

eg mine with a high gloss clear-coat.

[URL=]http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry642339

1 - 20 of 22 Posts