SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'd like to introduce to you some new members of my Targa Florio collection! First of all the Vaccarella-Scarfiotti Ferrari 330 P4, based on the Scalextric car, with several conversions on the rear cover:

The later heavily crashed Vella-Termini Jag XK 120 from 1955 (shown in best conditions, right from the start of the race...
), a NINCO repaint with a few additions:

A simple repaint was done here with the MRRC Porsche 904, the overall second Linge/Balzarini car of 1964:

And last but not least the Austin Healey 3000 (Bond/Worswick) from 1967, a NINCO conversion:

Actually there are more than 40 slotcars in Targa Florio livery in my showcase, on my homepage you'll find the repaints and conversions of 30 cars, including the description (I'm very sorry, but only in german language - it's so, so much to translate...
). Have a look on it!

cheers

Matthias

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Matthias,

Congrats on your work: those are some very beautiful cars of one of the most exciting racing eras ever! I still have to choose a theme for my modest slot car collection and the Targa Florio seems to be an interesting one, specially now that I intend to start scratch building my cars.

Cheers and thanx for sharing!

BigDog

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello @ all,

thanks for all your compliments, guys! At the moment I'm planning a Targa race track down in my cellar. I hope that it doesn't look like Bill's track at the end... no doubt Bill's Targa is the most impressive example for that theme!!! We'll see...

@ BigDog: do it but do it! Perhaps you could start with some repaints of several Targa liveries. For me it's very intersting that one can race on a track with a sportsprototype against a touring car - just like in the real race. Concerning that point it's in fact very similar to Le Mans, but arranging a Targa track is in my eyes much more challenging!

I'm gonna present my future targa cars in this thread, but (as already mentioned) there's much more of that stuff on my HP.

cheers

Matthias

·
Rod
1,666 Posts
Matthias:
Lovely paint work on the cars & beautifully done. The Healy & Jag are my favs. After seeing your XK120 i'm very tempted to do mine. It's the blue one from Ninco classic range. It looks much more at home in the white. Did you do the decals?

Rod.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (Matthias @ 27 Jul 2009, 06:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The later heavily crashed Vella-Termini Jag XK 120

A simple repaint was done here with the MRRC Porsche 904, the overall second Linge/Balzarini car of 1964:

Matthias, we have done some of the same repaints, but yours always turn out better than mine! You've got the details of these cars just right, and it gives me inspiration to keep tinkering with my Targa liveries.

Here's my comparably feeble attempts! Bill

Redid the roundels and numbers, but haven't gotten all the details the way you did.

I added the license plate, which promptly got lost in racing it. How did you add the extra front light? Where did you get it? How did you get rid of the second driver--isn't he molded in? I see now that the cockpit was supposed to be black, not tan
. I couldn't tell the exact livery color from the old B&W photos, but so I choose an original XK120 off white color. Yours is whiter, and I'm guessing more correct.

Same car, slightly different liveries. I think you got the color of the paint right, much closer than I did.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Rod:

The decals of the Jag are self made, ink jet plus Elwods decal foil. Works much better than the ACT foil I used to work with. Sometimes I work with a laser printer (the one I have in my office), that's the best solution I think.

@ Bill:

Well, I must say, that your track is absolutely outstanding, really! I've got all the pics of the track downloaded...
So many lovingly and authentic details - wow! But sometimes I think: Why doesn't that guy turn his Targa cars into the real shape? Obviously it's not a matter of lacking skill...
For shure you're able to do these conversions, Bill - or are you too impatient? But I could understand this, because I'm impatient too - sometimes... So I missed actually a detail of the Ferrari 412 P, I'm gonne refer about that car in a few days, the clear varnish is drying at the moment.

Let's have a concrete look at the introduced cars: The colour of the Jag... I decided to paint it white, not cream. In the past I was a big fan of Jaguar model cars, in my collection there were more than 100 cars in 1/43rd scale. So I know that the XK 120 was delivered in cream colour too. A pitty that the original pics of that car are only in black/white. Really don't know, Bill, what's the right way... But Homer gave me one important hint: The spoke wheels of the Jag were painted in body colour too!!! You see, another detail I had overlooked! But I'll change it soon.

The second person in the cockpit can easily be removed, the holes filled and sanded. My cover of the cockpit is a paper tissue soaked with acrylic cyanate. Works very well! The third head lamp is a part of a FLY Porsche 917 K which I slaughtered for another project. I simply drilled a hole and plugged the lamp in it, added some struts.

The Porsches in that era were usually painted in silver, so the Targa 904 too. There are a lot of pics existing in the web, like this (depict from the Forum Auto):

So far for today, best regards

Matthias

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (Matthias @ 29 Jul 2009, 03:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, I must say, that your track is absolutely outstanding, really! I've got all the pics of the track downloaded...
So many lovingly and authentic details - wow! But sometimes I think: Why doesn't that guy turn his Targa cars into the real shape? Obviously it's not a matter of lacking skill...
For shure you're able to do these conversions, Bill - or are you too impatient? But I could understand this, because I'm impatient too - sometimes...Well, Matthias, I suppose I never really intended to focus on the cars. It just happened as I became more obsessed with the track. I still like to marvel at your work on these cars. Most of my Targa cars are actually driven on the track so they can get dinged up a bit. And, it's a bit harder to "fix" a car than the scenery on the track when it's damaged. Some of my cars I'm planning on redoing again, but there's not much incentive if I'm just going to drive them again. As with anything, it's a learning process. I got some excellent tips recently at the MMM from Allan Wakefield that I'll try to put into practice in doing a Targa livery of a Jag E-type. For now, I'm just enjoying your work on the Targa cars and gathering tips on how you do it! --Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Bill,

I understand that very well! That's indeed my own major problem... Several times I discuss that theme with Frank, a friend of mine (i.e."findulini" in the german scratchbuilding forum, have a look on his articles - really great!). He races all of his repaints, conversions and scratchbuilts, not the hardest way, but always trying to get good laps. As you might have noticed by looking on my own hp I'm coming from the classic/static plastic modelling. So I'm not the "real" slot racer. And that's why I'm always too shy and overcautious by driving my own models. Shooting one of these into the landscape and hitting it badly, cracking some details and parts... I feel queasy...

For shure I have some more cars in the showcase to race with. But for example my "Le Mans 1970 collection": There is only one car missing (the Ligier JS1) and the starting grid of that remarkable race is absolutely completed, as 1:32nd scaled slotcars probably for the first time worldwide! But these cars will definitely never see the race track - only for taking some pics...

Frank is always chaffing me, his position is: "Every model car with a motor inside got to be raced! Otherwise it's a static model and static models don't need a motor!"
Hmmm... really true, but I have some problems with my precious buildings on the track. Your thinking in that case is the better one, for shure. You can race the cars in the Targa colours, ok, some details are missing, but I'm shure that you have a lot of fun too!

Maybe the solution is to collect two sets of Targa cars?
One minor detailed for racing and one set highly detailed only for the showcase and for taking pics on your wonderful track!

Never mind, the most important thing is to have fun with that hobby and to exchange thoughts and hints here at the forum.

As I anounced here are some pics from my Ferrari 412 P, Targa Florio 1967:

The only "conversion" is the addition of a bigger/steeper lip in front of the windscreen (like the 330 P4 too) and a little air scoop on the right side door. But there's a little mistake, I noticed that circumstance too late, the car was already painted: The two oval openings in the rear had to be much closer together. The white stripe touches them and in my case there's to much space there between. The holes got to be filled and sanded, afterwards new holes to be drilled. But now it's too late for me...

Although this 412 P isn't really correct I hope you all enjoy the pics!

cheers

Matthias

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Rod,

many thanks for your compliments! For the paint finish I use a two component acrylic clear varnish, the brand name is "MiPa". Unfortunately it's a german product and I don't know if it's available out of Germany. But I'm shure that there's a similar product in the US and the UK. It works very well, the application is easy and the finish is really fine! No problems with other products like Revell, Tamiya, Humbrol and definitely NO problems with the decals! An important aspect, I think!

But it's a little bit expensive...

cheers

Matthias

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys,

here comes a little update concerning my Targa Florio collection! A kitbash/repaint of two Slot.it Alfas (SICA 11a rear cover, SICA 11b body and chassis)... not the cheapest way...

And here the very rare PROTO kit of the Alfa TZ1 from 1964:

cheers

Matthias

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hi guys. Mipa is available in the UK. I know the importer personally but i'm not sure if he stocks the 2K clear. And Matthias, the paint finish you have achieved on the last two models is just out of this world my friend! Utterly fabulous! Regards, Graham.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Graham,

many thanks for your compliments! In my opinion MiPa is very easy to apply and gives a very good result! Years before I did various tests with different clear varnishes. For me MiPa is really the best, especially for slotcars. MiPa ist really, definitely touch-proof and that's it what slotcars need...

Best regards

Matthias

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Matthias !

Beautiful Alfa 33/3 !

I do not know why Slot-It made the 1971 Sebring model when there are 3 Alfa 33/3 that won races in 1971 and always with a Italian driver (Adamich/Pescarolo, Vaccarella/Hezemans, Adamich/Peterson) ...

Anyway, I am waiting for these Alfas.

Where are the decals from ?

Best regards.

André Acker.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi André,

many thanks for your kindly words! The politics of the slotcar brands concerning the new issues are something like a deep, black hole... Nobody knows what's inside...

Some of the decals I used on the Alfa are self made, only the FIRESTONE, LOCKHEED and BOSCH sticker are serial-production decals.

Best regards

Matthias

1 - 20 of 158 Posts