SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again just for fun whilst you are sipping that Coffee..

I have a slight problem with the width of the wheels on the Girona Rally car, I didn't until I had a conversation on SF awhile back as I assumed they just widened the wheels but now...

I will trim them in and retake the pic. Wheels are very nice though I WISH the manufacturers would ensure their builders paid atention to details like getting the wheel inserts squared to the rim!

Still, I read and agreed with a post on SCI about the fact that we tend to expect too much from model toys in the standard price bracket.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I missed this one somehow.
Great pics of really nice cars.
It's been said before, if only Pink Kar would tighten up on a few points, they could make some of their cars as desirable, every bit as desirable, as any other maker.
How could you not LOVE those sexy Ferrari bods?

Incidentally, that looks like a parking ticket shoved under the windscreen wiper of number 81 - remarkable detailing!

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Anyone Interested in aquiring one?........I'm still after a home for my unused Rally car (complete with overwide axles!). See the Swap section of the Forum....
Sorry to pinch the thread Swiss but it was too good an opportunity!.

Regards

Alan

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
As re-issues of an old car (Revell?) I think the Pink Kar GTO is great, but to try to tart it up as they have is deserving of all the criticism they are getting for it.

Scott

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Oooh sourpuss!

It's not a Revell re-issue but their own body and pretty enough to be worth a little tittivating the mechanicals. I must dig out my ancent wreck of wrevell and phot0graph the poor old baggage. Messy . . .

G

·
I am sure you will find it's the old Revell slot body, as I have about six of the Revell cars and you can see were the body match perfectly.

RR

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I hate to contradict such an illustrious historian but . . .
I have both sitting in front of me now and they are very similar but . . .
See the three small cut through vents over the Pink Kar radiator grille?
These are marked only as flush surface flaps on my Revell.
Similarly, the three slits behind the front wheel arches are cut right through on the Pink Kar, only indented on my Revell.
Separate chromed fuel filler cap on Pink Kar, moulded into surface on my Revell.
Boot lid button moulded into surface on Pink Kar, not present on Revell.
Four separate tail lights on Pink Kar, moulded into surface on Revell.
A small flap moulded behind each side window in Pink Kar is not present on my Revell.
The sills below the doors look slightly different depths
The 'curve under' below the radiator intake is much more pronounced on the Revell - perhaps the only area where the Revell is distinctly better looking.
There are some other very tiny detail differences too.
They are REMARKABLY similar in size and overall 'look', so much so that it is possible the Pink Kar mould was in some way based on the Revell mould but they are not quite the same.

There again, could Revell have had more than one mould shape?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I just had to go and get one of each and remove the bodies to take a closer look. I have never given any consideration that they could be based on the same mould. They are incredibly similar, but then they are supposed to be scale models of the same car, but I think there are enough differences to conclude that they are actually from different sources. Interesting though and kept me amused for half an hour

So its now 2 all, RR & EE against Tropi and myself, Anybody want to swing the balance?

Mr.M

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to keep it balanced - I vote don't know also

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Oh you buggers!
Forced me stay up late to take photos in support!

Here you can clearly see one of the biggest differences in those three small vents over the rad intake and the less obvious but different shapes running from the wing, down and under the rad intake. The Pink Kar stops short at the bottom, where the Revell curves under, beautifully.

Here you can just about pick out the outlined flap behind the side window on the Pink Kar - not present on Revell. You might also see the fuel filler cap differences. Not really possible to see that the three 'gills' behind the Revell front wheel arch are not cut clean through the side as on the Pink Kar. But believe me, they aren't!

Here you can see the fuel filler caps and the differences in the rear lights. You will also see a bit of the Riko brass chassis (with drop arm) under the Revell and its 'Treblicks' tyres. Plus the thirty-odd year old plastic wood to cover the fat fellows! Not seen are the brass gears and hairy Riko 16D motor!
Nothing to do with the bodies of course!

Convinced yet?
You really need them in your hands

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Tropi, that is an excellently detailed model of a "barn find" Ferrari, complete with ragged and rusty rear wheel arch and paint being pushed off by the corrosion around the windscreen frame. And the 1/32 Isopon on the other rear arch is a magic touch, too. That's my sort of slot car

Cheers Mr.M

G

·
Hi It's the same mould,

look underneath the PinkKar Ferrari body at the front there are still half of the mould holes left from were the Revell vents are and Check all the length ,width and high are the same.

In the same way as the PinkKar Bug is the old Scalextric mould.

RR

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
RR
I have listed eight differences that are present in my two bodies.

Here is another pic showing the valance and scallops underneath the rad intakes, which are very different

Unfortunately, I haven't time now, but if I can remember this evening, I'll take a similar shot of the underside of the bodies but with the chassis removed, showing the biggest difference of all, which is the underside of the three vents above the rad intake. They bear no resemblance to each other. There are NO vents in the Revell but there are in the Pink Kar. It's certainly possible that the Revell mould has been used to produce as the pattern for Pink Kar, but the definite differences present, as listed, indicate that they are not actually one and the same.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
...and against my better judgement

Tropi, your Revell is definitely a Revell yes? (ducks quickly)

From the photo I can only make out 2 side slits. You talk about 3 in the text so I guess there must be 3 but as you say the "custom finish" tends to make it hard to see what's going on with this.

BUT, it made me wonder if this was a possibility.

I don't know if anyone else made these shells to 1/32. Strombecker did one in about 1/30th (which I have in traditional Ferrari black
) and it's quite possible that the likes of Aurora or Atlas might have made this car too. Aurora certainly did a 2 slit in 1/25.

I'm still a "don't know" - just throwing in a wild card

G

·
Hi,
I will prove it to you trim the front valance on the Revell shell back about the point were just have the three little curves as on the Pink Kar shell and they are identical. the PinkKar body is not mould quite as far around as the Revell shell on the front valance.

RR

1 - 20 of 49 Posts