SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 190 Posts

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi Joe, its about 1" x 4" (metric 2.3 x 10cm) and 1" x 2"(2,3 x 5cm) for the diagonals. They are put together to frames, two of them screwed together and reinforced by another 1"x4" from the front and back. Thus giving an everywhere-total of 2"x4"; stabel enough to carry me crawling over the table...
Regards Jens

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hi Ben, first the base is done with grey primer, then mat white and mat black are paintbrushed (spraycan works as well) thinly onto the grey...thats all! Oily surface in the curves or tyremarks can be done with dark grey later if wanted. Surface gets relatively rough with this method - good grip! Regards Jens

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hi all,

couldnt start routing yet because the delivery of the routerpin I ordered (no toy - hardmetel this time!) is late. Use the time to test here and there. Asked myself how to get cobblestones without carving every single stone with a dremel and without loosing smooth tracksurface... My seven year old daughter had a brilliant idea: She made me carve a stamp out of a potato! The photo shows just the first results but I like it!

What do you think? Regards Jens

·
Frank
612 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think your daughter is brilliant! It's a great effect and a real time-saver.

I love carved detail as much as the next person - but sometimes you have to really consider that most of the scenery is viewed from 4-6 feet away. If it looks good from there - that's not a bad thing. Hats off to those who can do the superb detail that stands up to photo close-ups (and we know you can do that) - but it's not always necessary on EVERY part of the track.

Really - this is a great idea.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 9 Feb 2011, 22:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Isn't the point of having cobbles to have a change in surface? The potato print looks ok. Depends what you want out of it I suppose.

Embs
Nah, the point of cobbles is to hurt your feet when you walk about, we all know that.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Okay girls and boys, I agree with you: the technique has to be approved a little bit. What you see on the photo is just a little color on the stamp and bang, bang, bang hammered the potato on the ply. That can be done better. Definetely I wont dremel out the cobble like detailfreak Frank asked for. Thats a job for someone who had killed father AND mother...
, I didnt. Additionally I dont want to rough the surface of the track, thus worsening the driving comfort too much, raising the risk of desloting. On the other hand the look of the cobble, especially for a targa track, is very attractive in my opinion. And like Mark wrote: It wont be to be seen from a little distance...Im not thru with this thoughts yet but I think it could work even on a highly detailed trackscenery!? We will see.
Regards Jens

PS: Arrival of the routerpin estimated tomorrow...

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (4.3 ZOOK @ 11 Feb 2011, 03:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If there is a way to index the stamp so you can get a shadow effect,that would look good.....
You should be able to index it without too many issues. It'd just take some patience. As Jens said the other job was just a quick imprint to see if it works. Should be able to key a potato print the same as you would a standard block print. If you're looking to get a little more detail or cover a larger area at once you could use a square of linoleum and carve the surface of that for a lino-print instead of the potato. If you plan well enough you can even do a multi-block print, but that's probably not necessary. Keep the paint on your application pallet fairly loosely mixed for colour variation.

If you add a bit of acrylic medium to the colour mix you should still be able to get a bit of texture into the prints without getting it too extreme.

·
Frank
612 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
while it is possible to get a convinceing 3 D effect just by modelling light and dark it will have some disadvantages. I has an artist friend of mine do a print of a plowed field for a wargames show. I had lots of folk touching the surface to convince themselves it was just a print. However is consisted of a small accurately registerd set of digital tiles. That is OK for a modernn plowed field. For cobbles a fully registered set of cobles would look to uniform. Moving the block to get som "rondomeness" Like pon the picture, would show the poor registration of the shadows, as you up the contrast to get the 3D effect. Presonaly I thought from the pictures it was good enough. I would apply the same criteria as for wargames. If you can't tell at 4 ft the job is correct. The scenary is a means to an end for folk like me not an end in itself.

PS its so good an idea, how many cobbles on the stamp. I would like to "steal" the idea.

41 - 60 of 190 Posts