SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts
G

·
Hi All,

Although I have my own personal forum login, I've also created one for 'company use only' - so please get in touch via the forum, or through the contact details on the website mentioned in the review.

Regards,

Lawrence

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi

After a recent thread about fire extinguishers, Lawerance sent me a few pre-production samples. These were great, I then got another parcel with 2 figures, which also are very nice. Well Done!

Jon

·
.. Leo A Capaldi ..
2,482 Posts
Great stuff, on the expensive side though including shipping.

I see that you offer discount on the shipping, any other discounts available? Perhaps an SF member's or for bulk purchases?

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
It's great to see a company making figures specially for slot racing. The prices do seem to be a little on the high side and I think the metal is a bit pitted, but that may be due to the photos. It may be due to the molten metal being too hot. Do you use a rubber or silicone mould?

G

·
Wednesday night is race night, hence the delay in replying!

>col de turini says

>Great stuff, on the expensive side though including shipping.

>I see that you offer discount on the shipping, any other discounts available? Perhaps an SF member's or for bulk purchases?

Multiple / Bulk orders will attract a discount, and the idea is to offer discounted 'sets' of figures as more come out and can be grouped into such sets.

>Graham Lane says

>It's great to see a company making figures specially for slot racing. The prices do seem to be a little on the high side and I think the metal is a bit pitted, but that may be due to the photos. It may be due to the molten metal being too hot. Do you use a rubber or silicone mould?

The technical bit: Silicone mould, individually hand cast. Any figures I consider 'imperfect' are thrown back into the pot.

My metal supplier has 3 grades,

-#2 resulting in very shiny casts - rarely used
-#3 resulting in a matt finish with better flow - most figures are cast in this grade
-#4 excellent flow, but at a premium - used for heads, arms and detail parts only

The white metal costs have gone up in excess of 25% in the last two years, and the #4 grade has increased by about 100% due to greater global demand for the raw materials used.

I will be doing sets later this year, as the number of figures available is increased, and natural 'groupings' of figures come together.

Regards

Lawrence
Tarn Model Foundry

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Another reason why scenery is not top of my priority list!

£3 per figure?
One car or ten figures?
No brainer that one...another one in the garage I think for me.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
The guy with the anorak is a very nice model

Prices, well it depends on your perspective doesn't it? I've got well over 1,000 figures around my track so there's no way I would have paid £3 each for all of them!

But look at the price of 1/35, 1/32 or 54mm military and collector's figures, some of them cost £10 - £12 per figure, or more! Ok that's high end figures, but there are some very ordinary figures around at £5 - £6 each.

As an aside, I've just been having a look through the Historex Agents website. They import and distribute a lot of white metal figures in various scales. Andreas Miniatures, who make high quality figures, list a beautiful 1/35 Roman Bireme (ship). Cast resin hull, photo etch and white metal detail parts, 43 figures - yours for only £1458.29
No, that's not a typo!! Linky

£3 per figure suddenly sounds pretty good to me!

cheers,

Rob

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
RIP OFF! WHY WOULD YOU PAY THAT MUCH FOR A SHIP?

£2 may have been realistic, but I got 2 for free so i am happy!

TMF: Did you recieve my PM's could you answer?

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you look at the work that goes into the model ship you'll see why it costs so much...there is a lot of time and effort gone into models like this.

As for the Tarn models I think the price is about right for stuff like this...although sets of figures a bit cheaper would be nice.

I'll have to get some when I get my track up and running.

Alan

·
.. Leo A Capaldi ..
2,482 Posts
Will that ship run OK on plastic track ?? LOL

I am away to count the figures around my layout or is that like "never count your slot cars" ?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Really, the figures are not THE most important feature on your beautiful layouts.
They are a part of the over all effect...and therefore £3 each is rediculous (in my opinion).
They arn't even assembled / painted / delivered for that...

·
Registered
998 Posts
It's a bit of a shame that so may people are not prepared to pay what in my honest opinion is a small price to pay for some very nice, and at last different looking figures.

I doubt the Trarn Foundary is going to get amazingly rich off a product like this and I really do wish them well and I will certaily be getting some.

Now that SRA are no longer about a company producing 1/32 scale figures is very important and I wish you every sucess.

Alan

·
Registered
123 Posts
The figures look very nice. I will buy a few later on when there are a few more to pick from. £3 is a fair price. If I take a look at what I spend on cars and all, I could buy at least 10 figures and the price of those wouldn't even come near what I spend on Ebay sometimes. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I agree the figures are priced about where I'd want them for a cottage industry. I have no issue assembling and painting them. They look nice, don't look like every other figure out there, and are made with pride by someone into slotcars. It takes a lot of work, time, and money to produce them.

Great job guys!

G

·
QUOTE (alan1302 @ 20 Oct 2007, 23:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a bit of a shame that so may people are not prepared to pay what in my honest opinion is a small price to pay for some very nice, and at last different looking figures.

I doubt the Trarn Foundary is going to get amazingly rich off a product like this and I really do wish them well and I will certaily be getting some.

Now that SRA are no longer about a company producing 1/32 scale figures is very important and I wish you every sucess.

Alan

Alan - Thank you for the support.

We've taken on board earlier comments, and as a result, have reduced the postage costs on all the current eBay auctions. For those who have already paid the higher price for postage for figures, we shall be shipping a complementary set of 1:32 extinguishers to you later in the week.

Regards,

Lawrence.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
QUOTE (Tarn Model Foundry @ 21 Oct 2007, 14:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alan - Thank you for the support.

We've taken on board earlier comments, and as a result, have reduced the postage costs on all the current eBay auctions. For those who have already paid the higher price for postage for figures, we shall be shipping a complementary set of 1:32 extinguishers to you later in the week.

Regards,

Lawrence.

That's service!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts