Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the US legs of the World Proxy Race over and the Tassie race only 4 weeks away thoughts have turned to the next project. Several people have show interset in a '50's sports /GT race and dave has drafted some rules and would be interested in any comment and possible entrants. Sorry we have not set a date at this time but we do nor want to clash with any other race,this is not part of the World Proxy race and although the race format will be similar Concourse will be part of the overall points.
Link to Tassie Targa Rules can be found at our new home page.

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Phil

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
"Sports or GT cars from 1949 to 1959 inclusive that would have been eligible to compete in FIA/SCCA or similar races."

So I guess that the Xylon would be legal!?

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok,I'm ready to go,but....."Note:tyre must be at least 50%profile.IE:7mm wide tyre must have 3.5mm from wheel to outside of tyre.No ultra low profile tyres.".......Now as we know I'm a bit raw on this 32nd scale caper and my fairly sparse resources are proving to be light on with an appropiate wheel,so I need a little assistance here,can you point me in the general direction please Phil,I'm hoping (with the correct wheel /tyre combo )to put a couple of cars together.

cheers terry

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
I'm interested in this series... Look for at least one Allard

After a quick scan of the rules may I suggest specifying a particular motor or motors with similar RPM range?

We have a "Ninco NC1/no magnets/rubber tires" class at my local group. The cars within this group range from a `49 Top Slot/Ninco chassis Ferrari 166 Touring to modified Monogram Cobra Daytonas and Vette GS. Competition is fierce with blinding speed not the issue. We can easily reel off dozens of laps with no more than a car length or two between the competitors.

It's loads of fun.

Greenamn62

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terry: Dave based the rules around the Ninco Classic wheel as the minium. The profile rule is to stop someone usinga large diameter wheel and puttinga low profile tyre on it. Suitable wheels are the Ninco Classis( plastic) Patto can supply a 7mm wide wheel. Unfortunattly the 13mm dia may be a bit small I have not seen them,his 16mm dia are good but the rubber tyres need to be reduced in diameter. But if sponge will stand the narrow width they would be great.

Greg: he left the motor rule open simply because we believe that the restriction on tyre width and the tracks we race on will limit the power output,these car have to be easy to drive.

Phil

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Well, you certainly caught my attention - back to the days when cars were cars, not aerodynamic rolling billboards! - And I quite agree that effective enforcement of a "scale" tire width rule and a restriction on total width obviates the need for a motor spec.

The 55 mm width restriction is quite generous - a quick tour of my collection of 50s era cars with a caliper yielded no results over 52 mm and that was for a race-prepared Ninco XK 120 which is acknowleged to be too wide. Most fell in the 46 - 48 mm range. Recalling that the big Ferraris were among the wider cars of the day, I consulted Tanner's book - Almost all the cars through the 312 Le Mans fell in the range of 1.25 - 1.30 M maximum track. Allowing for an 8" tire section (again, generous - I do not recall seeing anything beyond a 7.00 section but why quibble over 0.8 mm) and thus adding 203 mm to the track dimension to get the O/A width, one gets to 47 mm. The sole exception cited is the 410 SA with a 1.455 M front track yielding a scale 52 mm. Perhaps the most advantageous prototype would be a car that never really pretended to be sports car (although I did once see one show up at the old Thompson track with numbers stuck on it*) - the '55 Ford Thunderbird!

For those of us working at a distance, a brief decription of the type of set-up (tire, motor, weight) that is generally successful at each of the contemplated tracks would be very useful.

EM

* The owner succeeded in scaring himself silly in two or three laps and left the premises. "Tech" in those days was pretty rudimentary - mostly about making certain that no one was trying to coax another 6.36 hp out of a 1250 cc MG by hiding a Shorrock blower under the generator. The "1250 cc" Alfas routinely ran Chinnetti's 1400 cc sleeves and I even knew of an Ace Bristol or two that had the dry liners removed from the block to run directly on the cast iron at 2250 cc.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EM: Dave can't post for some reason so I will respond. He checked the Ninco cars and measured them and also I have checked the specs of the A6GCS one of the wider cars of that era and that was how he came up with the 55mm. The A6 I think the Ninco TR 250 is a bit too wide but it is a nice body and several guys are interested in running them. The LE Monster would probably be that wide as well ? I an sure Russell can tell us!

Phil

·
Registered
69 Posts
Back in, sorry guys, senior moment!!

55mm in fact came from a Ninco wire wheel & axle set that I had in my spares box at home.Didn't even contemplate lookking at the era and seeing what would be reasonable. At least 5mm too wide for my A6GCS but that's my problem if that's what I choose to build. Looks like Le Monstre might just scrape in then Russell!!

Please note they are at this stage "draft for comment" so keep commenting

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts