SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got round to doing something about my carpet problems...

Wanted a base for layouts for ages to get them off the floor, away from dog hairs and help my back.

Here is my three piece (sweet)!

Three sections of 6'x3' MDF, 1"x2" supports, 2"x2" between sections - drilled with three holes to take bolts and wing-nuts to hold together and aline (not fitted yet, too impatient!).

I was unsure what to use for legs, so I didn't bother!

The whole thing is raised up on...18 storage boxes stacked two high. Sturdy and useful when not lifting my tracks. Sorted.

More pics in my gallery "Temptracks and bits".

Next part is to the paint surface with green rubberised paint (I think) and get the bolts sorted.
Then I will construct a different layout next time...keep watching!

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Yeeha, ride 'em cowboy. Oh, sorry, thats the Lone ranger

I knew you would succumb in the end

Looking good Phil

Before you know it, you'll be creating a fully sceniced track

Mike

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hold on Tonto... I've only just got board!

The only problem, Mike, is that all layouts are sized without borders, so my temptrack boards are half a straight too short!
That is why there is a two piece gap in the border / barriers and no barriers on the inside (not vital) after the first turn.

£100 and counting and the ba**ard thing is too small!

Scenery...now what can I do next?

Hi-ho Silver

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, funny you should ask...

Slow.
Spent all the time it was up driving.
Now it is down the paint brush will come out when it gets a bit cooler!

Muddy paws has not been up yet, but if he reads this post it may give his ideas.

I will post some images when progress progresses...

Thanks for the interest, Mike.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Hey Lone Ranger. Your layout is similar to mine and many others. Just add another section and then you can insert some more straights.

One thing I did was to leave the carpet I had first put down under the track. Seems to cushion some of the noise. You can cut your own borders if the Scaley ones do not fit.

Have fun

My track pics

·
Registered
425 Posts
QUOTE (The Lone Racer @ 15 Jul 2007, 12:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£100 and counting and the ba**ard thing is too small!

I know the feeling, except my problem was that although I measured the garage I did not allow sufficient space to pass between the wall and the table, so in my case the garage is too small.

·
David Collins
2,492 Posts
Let us know how you get on with the rubberised paint. I've tried abrasive floor paint, exterior paint, but can't find anything that gives decent grip for non-mag cars. So rubberised paint might be the next thing to try...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
justDave, the rubberised paint, if I go down that route, will be as a surface on the boards to lay the track onto.

I am not up to the standard for routing yet!

Mind you, I do like the idea of a routed rally stage in a box...

MPJBud...the space available is NEVER big enough!
How did you get round your problem?
(
Did you see what I did there? Get round your problem...garage too small!
)

Black3sr, the problem is space (the same as everyone else's) and another panel will prevent the use of the conservatory, which doubles as a second living room and our dining room.
Perhaps just a little piece...450mm wide to be introduced when Mrs Lone Racer is out.

Now it's not down, I really ought to get some work done.
It's just another thing to do, isn't it.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Hey Lonely - conservatory - we don't have those here - just track rooms - lol.

I have crammed about as much as I can in my garage with a 5' x 13'. Being on castors is really handy to get at the back and also my main electrical panel for the house. I do have my mower and snowblower parked under one end so have to pull those out to the drive sometimes.

I like my size. Any bigger and it would be getting too far to walk to re-slot cars. As it is I need to use a grabber to retrieve some offs.

bill

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was time to get my holes filled, if you know what I mean...so last night, I did just that.

This was good!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, last night reminded me why there are "Big Red Sheds" in The United Kingdom.

It's to give the no-hoper school leavers, with no qualifications, a position of false self-importance when dealing with customers who ask them for advice (my own opinion, but based on experience, having been previously employed by this shower).

The paint I was advised to purchase by a member of staff was Garden Green (B9) plasti-kote Fast Dry Enamel which I was assured would give a fantastic surface to untreated MDF.
Wrong!

"It is suitable for unprimed wood, will leave a tough and streak free surface" I was informed.

Look.

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Ooh, that does'nt look too good.
It's a shame you've gone to the trouble of painting to find out it's pants.
I know it's to late now, but you should always get an MDF sealer before painting it.
Sometime's that stuff is like chipboard, when it gets any liquid on it, it just blows the particles out.
All is not lost (possibly) how about some green grass mat from the war gaming boys

Or cover what you've done with some hardboard, and try a repaint.
Hope it works out Phil,
Mike

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well, there is a more positive end to this very insignificant tale...

I went to the local Dulux Decorator Centre and enquired what would be suitable for my needs, seeing as I was slightly down-hearted.

After describing what it was looking for, I was asked to follow the helpful bloke into the back room!

I know what you are thinking, and the thought did cross my mind too...

This guy knows what he is on about!

And he did.
He handed me a 2.5 litre tin of ICI Cuprinol Trade Landscape Shades "Landscape" stuff (water based garden furniture treatment in green), reduced from £22 to £11 in a slightly dented tin.

Well, if it does what I want...I thought to myself

"I need a small roller to go with that and a tray, please." I said.

"No problem," he replied "that'll be £2.50, mate!".

After stating that I thought he had made a mistake, he said that the tin was "written off" due to it's condition, and it would only go to a chap who collects tins of paint for charity (he paints other people's things for free, they can't chose the colour, but it looks clean and fresh!).

After a slight debate that I didn't expect anything for nothing, I told the most helpful person I have met in a retail outlet for a long time, to put my change in the Charity box on the counter.

He was right, two coats later...ta dah!

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
and you didn't spill any on the stonework - good boy.
Now it is time to cover it up with landscaping. Ohyou need legs of some sort first. We need more carpenters here for advice.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I was very careful about the paving stones...not laying them again!

The next coat made them look better...

Some of the local birds even showed interest

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Nice save Phil

Now they look really good. Perhaps now you could make some small modular pieces of scenery, that you could move around for when you fancy a layout change, like hills and embankments. Would add a bit more atmosphere

Mike

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good idea Mike.

I haven't quite finished yet though...

The birds stuck their sticky beaks in last night, so some remedial painting required, after low flying planes got them in a flap just as it was drying and feathers got stuck to surface.

Here's a picture of some of them doing what birds do best...watching someone else work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.