SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
David H
3,901 Posts
A new phenomenon has overtaken the overused "Rare" on eBay: "Test Laps Only", often prefixed by "New, Mint in Box." Just what the heck does this ridiculous expression mean, and who do these sellers think they are kidding?

How does a "test" lap differ from any other lap? Does it miraculously leave no marks on the braids and the tyres unblemished? What exactly are you testing? The track for continuity, your throttle finger, your eyesight, your mastery of hyperbole, or something else? If you're one of the sellers who uses this ludicrous selling technique, please explain. It should make interesting reading.

Perhaps we should have a poll: How many "test" laps is a car allowed to complete before its laps become "ordinary"?

PS. I have a number of ultra rare new cars for sale, all mint in box and all with fewer than 700 test laps. Any interest? Oh yes, I nearly forgot, the boxes were only opened for photographs. The cars just happened to fall onto the track and complete their multiple test laps. They're still new, honest.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Ahhh yes. Nice to know someone else has a matching pet gripe. Test laps. Parade laps. A quiet little pootle around the track on a Sunday afternoon.

Dopamine, I think we should build a test lap track. A couple of kilometres long should do it.

And since when did 'New, Mint in Box' come to mean anything other than what it says. That it's brand new, never been used and has never been out of the box. Even the air within the box, should it be tested, should still be from the country of origin.

Hmmm... Perhaps I should sell a couple of skanky old used and abused cars and put an unopened packet of TicTacs in the box. Then I could happily claim NEW, MINT IN BOX.

·
Registered
543 Posts
QUOTE Hmmm... Perhaps I should sell a couple of skanky old used and abused cars and put an unopened packet of TicTacs in the box. Then I could happily claim NEW, MINT IN BOX. wink.gif

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,832 Posts
Come on every who buys a slot car takes it out of the box and drives a lap or two to make sure it is working and then puts it back in the box........don't they

Maybe it is like the phrase only driven to church on Sunday.

or it means - I bought drove it around the track it went like carp so now I am selling it

·
Registered
20 Posts
sig worthy!

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Why a packet, Ember?

Surely that would be "Mints in Box"!

No, there should only be one lone Tic Tac.

Preferably test sucked!

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
QUOTE (dangermouse @ 19 Mar 2012, 06:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on every who buys a slot car takes it out of the box and drives a lap or two to make sure it is working and then puts it back in the box........don't they

Maybe it is like the phrase only driven to church on Sunday.

or it means - I bought drove it around the track it went like carp so now I am selling it

Well I think there must be something wrong with me. I have some shelf queens that have genuinely never been out of the box. The box lid has been removed so I can take a look BUT the screw holding the car in the box has NEVER been removed.

If I sell a brilliant condition car that has touched a track - be it for 1 meter or several laps - I describe it as "Excellent condition, like new but has done X metres on my track without crashing". Substitute X for estimated distance at 20m per lap. I still list it as USED.

I also read "test laps" as meaning - "I drove it, it's rubbish so now I want some mug to buy it from me".

I have changed my mind about shelf queens and now every car I own will either be run in full-on racing or sold on.

I happily buy cars that are used and honestly described because there's no point paying extra for mint when I know full well I am going to scratch it

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Happy to know I amuse y'all.

QUOTE (Mr.M @ 19 Mar 2012, 19:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why a packet, Ember?

Surely that would be "Mints in Box"!
Well... It was originally going to be a Mintie, but I didn't think you blokes had them. Personally I'd rather a Jila than a TicTac any day.

QUOTE No, there should only be one lone Tic Tac.

Preferably test sucked!
Bingo!

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Younger, less geeky folk than us have re appropriated the word 'mint' to mean 'cool/wicked' etc

street definition of MINT.

Ember, if that tictac was awesome too, it could be a mint mint mint.

Well, it might be partly responsible for the confusion, as we all know slot cars are almost all 'mint' by that def.
Some of them might even be 'sick' too but they're not poorly. Personally, the sooner the word 'mint' gets banned from ebay descriptions the better.

Test laps? I've got a General Lee that's never been raced, only done test laps... trouble is I was testing for flight.
Cheers,
Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts