Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching a testing bench for slot cars, less expensive than Kelvin Light;
no r.p.m. probes, no PC connections but only a way to do some running in of motors and gears.
Have you seen them anywhere?
Ciao

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
there's a nice little do it yourself thing on southend slot car clubs site, I cant find the address as my HD went the same way as Swiss' about a week before!

yes, built one myself, works great and you can make your own additions!

Rob.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I made this dyno for testing ,the roller drives a motor which in turn generates a voltage and gives a read on an ANOLOG meter although I also have digital tacho for motor tests

The scale to the left of the pic will also read negative grams and is usefull for checking downforce

I also find this circular test track useful for final setup

Graham

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
For running in motors and gears you don't need anything fancy just a variable power supply with enough amps to turn the motors you intend to run in. The highest amp motor I have run in is a Scaleaouto 35k thing and for that and anything else I've just got a plug in transformer that has a little switch giving me a choice of 0.5v thru to 15v with 5 increments.

Then to run in motors but the motor in a little vice and with crocodile clips attach the motor wires to a terminal off an old scaly track power thingy (see pic below) and hey presto. Cost is cheap - the price of a trasformer (?), 4 crocodile clips (50p) and a old scaly termial (£1) and a tidgy vice (?)

Matt

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply; currently I am already using what Matt describes, but I would like something more refined, as a tracklike bench with rollers mounted on ball bearings, like that of Grah1. I think I must build it by myself, since nothing seems to be on the market.
Ciao

·
Registered
67 Posts
This might be an option Sprint although it doesn't have the rollers as you describe.

DWI Portable Pit Power Supply

I have one of these and use it all the time. You might want to keep a hold of sidewinders while breaking in though as the cars sometimes vibrate to the gear side and when it catches it could go flying!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts