SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a new layout. Space is limited to three 150cmx90cm (5'x3') tables arranged in an L. The general concept behind the track is to simulate a Targa Florio sort of climb through a number of hairpins combined with some faster sections including a full table length straight and some R2+ turns at the table ends. A minimum of space has to be left for landscaping and scenery. After a couple of trials, here is the latest incarnation:

- and and collage of 'aerial' photos (skewed, but makes for an interesting perspective):

A few comments: I respect that some SF members have strong and relevant objections against R1 turns in general and R1 hairpin turns in particular, but knowing the downsides I have deliberately thrown six of them in there in order to realize my overall ideas (by the way, there is a thread for the pro/con R1 discussion elswhere on SF). The #5 single lane hairpin has been designed to be easily replaced with a two-lane solution. The #6 hairpin overhangs #1. I am working towards eliminating this.

LH lane length is 14m 19cm (46' 7"), RH lane is 13m 56cm (44' 6").

Ideas, comments, and suggestions are needed and will be appreciated!

/Christian

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
That's a gerat use of space Mr O. I like what you've done with the pit entrance.
Will there be lots of up & down over the hairpin bit?
Cheers,
Richard

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops, a little late I'm afraid, test driving just made me forget all about the time. And a couple of cars needed their chips before bedtime.

Thanks, Snurfen and Richard, glad you like it. I have made a slight change so hairpin no. 6 (the last one in the upper LH corner) no longer hangs above no. 1 (the chicane). The plan is not really precise due to the elevation, in reality no. 6 and no. 1 are only a cm or two apart now, but a different levels.

To your questions about climbing and ups and downs, the chicane is at table top level, and there is a steady incline to hairpin no. 6 to a total altitude (!) of 30cm above the table top. The rear straight declines all the way to the pit lane entry. Before eventually constructing the support and scenery, I might experiment a little with the climb, both as regards the total incline and as regards variation over the course of the six hairpin turns.

Snurfen is right; it is a quite exiting drive indeed! I had to mount barriers everywhere racing a magless Slot.it T33/3 and a single magnet NSR 917K. Neither the PC nor the Scalex display are connected yet, so I don't know about lap times, but I know about the fun I had. After succesfully negotiating the climb without getting airborne there is a tendency to gun it for the pits/large U risking a deslot. When racing magless, a deslot in the pit lane or the RH lane in this part of the track from time to time results in an involuntary lane change, the car simply settles in the next lane and continues. Great entertainment.

Br,
Christian

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
From a purely scenic perspective, I like it. A lot! Actually, I'd like to drive it. I can see some big potential in this.

Looking forward to developments.

Embs

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Embs, thanks for the encouraging words. The fact that a creative force and master craftswoman like you sees some potential here really spurs me on.

Now, the garage is well stocked with styrofoam and plywood. I just have to come up with a name, then I might start a 'my track' thread. Maybe telling fellow SF members about developments will make me commit to actually finishing this project...

Br,
Christian

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Wow... another great layout!

And the pit entrance on a corner... we will want to see that one in more detail!

Many thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi sealevel, thanks for the kind words. Not really a BC sort of mountainside but a climb nonetheless.

Here's a close-up:

I've just posted a plan too in the SSD Pitlane Library Thread. I see you've been there already admiring MartinT's impressive post.

/Christian

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree with the others, like it, great use of space, we haven't all got loads to spare, makes it technical, only reason I keep away from the R1's is the 3 kids would find it too challenging (for now).

my space is a similar corner shape.

keep up the good work, really like the pit lane!

S

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
" Now, the garage is well stocked with styrofoam and plywood. I just have to come up with a name, then I might start a 'my track' thread. Maybe telling fellow SF members about developments will make me commit to actually finishing this project..."

Hi Mr. Olufsen...

...looks like you have already !

Nice job on the photo-collage; brilliant !!!

Track looks cool !!!

I'm guessing, as collapsable; the board-lines & where bends & track are is important ?

Cheers

Si.

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you share that view, Capt S. Don't worry, the kids will learn. My youngest one is 12 years old and a lot better at effectively negotiating those R1 than I am.

Br,
Christian

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts

The jury has been out on this one, but they are just about to take their seats again. Here's what testing has revealed beginning at the start line:
- The pitlane exit under the no. 3 hairpin didn't make sense from a scenery perspective, and having the exit partially obscured led to some unnecessary crashes. Instead, Mr. Stanley and Mr. Dremel did some work on the exit piece so it could be moved back.
- There will be some inevitable deslots under hairpin no. 3. To better manage them, before making the final supports I want to increase the total elevation by at least 10cm to make more space for re-slotting cars here.
- In particular with magless cars there are quite a few misses at both the first XLC and the first CLC. Eventually, this will mean extra optosensors. However, a quick fix in the form of an extra short piece before the XLC and a change from 45deg R2/45deg R1 to 22.5deg R2/45deg R1/22.5deg R2 has improved the situation slightly.
- For most drivers, sideswipe hairpin no. 1 was completely hidden from view. Swapping no. 1 and no. 2 has solved this problem.
- Hairpin no. 5 needed a little tweaking in my opinion, so Stanley and Dremel did a bit of work on the exit piece btw. no. 4 and 5, and the curve has changed its look and feel.
- The single lane part of the track is great, and will be fun when doing the scenery. However, racing it is only fun up to three drivers, with four drivers a four car queue tends to form every other lap. So, thinking modularly(?) a two lane option is ready whenever this is needed. To solve this in scenery terms will be a nice challenge.
- When exiting hairpin no. 6 to go full throttle down the straight, people tend to think that all is safe after the last R1 piece only to realize that a deslot is waiting for them on the R2 piece before the straight. Adding an R3 instead has changed this pattern a little.

So, the layout has undergone small changes in five steps, and here's what I've come up with so far. Soon, the real work will begin when the landscape architect takes over where the transportation planner has left. Here's the current basement serpentine:

After our SSD DK meet the other day, I have been thinking about how I could possibly host a future event. It's not going to happen in the 13 square meter room in the basement, but being modular, the whole thing could be taken to the garage during summer, and maybe another table or two could be added... Plans are being made...

Si,
As regards the modular design... Thanks for reminding me of thinking of how to position the bends! As you can see, the number of challenges has decreased because hairpins nos. 1 and 5 no longer overlaps the places where the table ends meet.

You're correct, all the single lane curves are inner R3. As you can see, I have done a little bit of track hacking and sawing, and I think I will leave it at that for now.

/Christian
_ _ _
Thanks for reading!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Congratulations for solving your 'issues' without negating the need to drive the track. This track has still got my imagination firing. Would love to be able to drive it somewhere along the line. Of course that is extremely unlikely without a lottery win or the death of a favourite billionaire 'uncle' (of which I have none).

Eagerly looking forward to watching the landscape develop.

Embs

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Mr. Olufsen

"MAMMA MIA !!!"
"We love a d racing here in Sicily !"

Yeah...your're little 'tweeks' look to be what you needed.
Nice to move those bends off the joins a bit; don't think it looks less challenging for that !

Pit exit looks more 'practical' as well.

Scenery...well...
A dry dusty day in the Sicilian hills, the smell of garlic & sausage, washed down with a GENEROUS glass of village wine !
I can hear the locals boooing the Porsches, as the beloved Ferrari take the lead of the race !!!

Nice work Christian, keep us posted.
I think you've got a corker of a fun track growing in your basement !!!

Cheers

Si.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts