Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of my other 'hobby lives' I was recently introduced to a rattle can textured paint which in my opinion closely imitates the look and feel of concrete. The product is marketed by Rust-Oleum, and the specific product I've used is their "Fine Textured Finish" Sandstone color. I believe there are other colors available in the Fine Textured Finish as well. It has all the foibles associated with rattle cans (paint can run so use light sweeping coats, and it should be applied outdoors-the fumes are pretty strong), but I found that it adheres very well to styrene, and dries to a very nice finish, meaning it does look like concrete. I did find that it takes considerably longer to fully dry then what the instructions would suggest-overnight seems to be about right. I would particularly think this product would be useful when painting structures having texture (like concrete or stucco), although it might have use also for painting track. Again, it does have quite an odor, so wouldn't suggest painting indoors. I used it to replicate concrete building foundations for some of my N-Scale railroad structures, and really liked the results. The texturing is probably a bit 'strong' for N-Scale, but would be nearly perfect for our 1:32 purposes. So, for whatever its worth, I'm passing along a recommendation. And if this has already been introduced elsewhere, I apologize for repeating the discussion.

Best,

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm afraid that I can't answer the question regarding availability in the UK, but here in the states I bought the product at my local Home Depot. As regards the need for primer; I wondered about that and did buy a can of their (Rust-Oleum) primer for that purpose. However, I applied the textured paint directly onto the styrene as an experiment and it worked so well that I've put the primer on the shelf. I really don't have a picture that shows the textured areas of my buildings very well, however I might be able to post a picture of a test square that I did and put it into my slot car gallery. I'll see if I can come up with sandpaper grit equivalent based on 'feel' if that might help. The rattle can costs about 6 USD, and could probably last a lifetime.

·
Dave Capelen
2,766 Posts
Evening folks

B&Q in the Isle of Man have Plasti-kote Stone Touch rattle cans in various shades of brown and grey.

I bought some (but have not used it) for scenery, such as paths, rough tracks and perhaps rally stages.

Edit:- Instruction say clean surface well and if necessary use a primer.

I think our B&Q also have some Rustoleum paints in cans.

Cheers
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts