SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Back when I was trying to determine how many amps the cars were using as they were circulating around the track the method that I used was to point a video camera at the power supply digital display and record the changing readings. The two sets of results that I posted earlier were done that way. Now I have a VRP dynamometer connected to a regulated power supply with volt and amp displays that read to three decimal places. I put the car with the 8.4 ohm double wind armature on the dyno and read 0.4 ohms at 18.5 volts. That confirms that the on track readings are good when the car reaches top speed. For cars with a significant amount of magnetic downforce the VRP device can be adjusted to simulate the on track conditions, but that would not apply to the car with the pancake armature because that has no magnetic downforce to speak of.
Hi RichD that is a great way to check everything out from cars to track conditions. when i do my builds i first start with what type of racing it will be for. then i do the motor first and what ohms would be needed to live a long race. but still being fast with all lap times. after armature is done i always check ohms on each pole and check the run out on the comm. and balance armature . then build the car. i try to use all the vintage aurora speed parts and tuff one parts when i can. like i was saying the aurora parts are crazy pricing on them now. so yes i do have to go with after market parts. i will say this all the aurora builds with the speed parts come out the very best. i never chop or hack up any body new or old . always run stock body. i always check all my builds with volt/ohm/ amp meters. also track and all transformers the same way.. i am a home racer and enjoy building and racing . i just became a club member a few days ago. this is a great group of people that still enjoy this great hobby. everyone enjoys what they build /race and share there thoughts on what they do and build i do like some of the tyco/pro HP7 and the 440 and the 440x2 cars, when i have extra time i also enjoy 1/32 scale racing vintage with the 16d can motors and the 1/24 scale with 36d motors, and do the builds the same way,

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi GK58,

I have TJETS, but don't race them yet. Our Club will setup a small 3lane Viper track and I think we will race TJETS there.

I race Autoworlds TJETS on the Drag Strip, but I guess we will also race those in the future.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi GK58,

I have TJETS, but don't race them yet. Our Club will setup a small 3lane Viper track and I think we will race TJETS there.

I race Autoworlds TJETS on the Drag Strip, but I guess we will also race those in the future.
sounds great drag racing is getting big all over auto world has some great ho cars. i do like them also i have a few of them. there t/jets and 4/gears i also like there dragsters. i do have the John Force one but not set up yet. all ho slot car racing is great . i still race the vintage aurora t/jets on my aurora track. i am a home racer and also like all the new ho items out also. i also see auto/world is coming out with there own tires now . that is a much need item . i am still running on the AJS ones . or Twin/k ones.

· Rich Dumas
4,570 Posts
Drag racing is somewhat different from oval and road course racing. What happens when the car first starts up is much more critical. The starting current for a DC motor is over ten times the running current, with high performance motors and a higher 24 volt track voltage you might need 10-20 amps per lane. With 16 ohm pancake cars you would need almost 2 amps per lane, if you used a separate AFX TriPower per lane those would be marginal.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi RichD yes very true on drag racing and road racing. set ups are not the same. as i was saying 3 to 5 ohm armatures are great for drag racing. road racing 10 to 16 ohm armatures for road racing. pancake armatures only . not inline armatures. on drag racing i use the aurora 20v transformers . each lane gets 2 transformers so the volts stay the same but doubling on the amps that is were the power is better amps. on road racing each lane gets one transformer per lane . when i wire all my tracks each lane gets it own power supply . so each lane is the same on power. so you can race any build you do . and at times i do run 2 transformers per lane for big layouts for roading. and many jumper leads for no power drops on the layouts.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi nkarres yes 3 to 5 ohms for drag racing only. pancake only armatures . on inline armatures there are way more racing armatures out there ready to go. on the pancake style there are not that many out there. dash motor sports is one of the pancake style racing armatures.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi nkarres i dont have the OS3 pancake armatures in 5 Ohms but do have 2 of there cars when they came out. 16 and 20 ohms they have. and yes OS3 is a great company. great parts line also. i only said dash motor sports because a lot of people run there cars and parts. i my self do not use any of his items cars or parts. Vintage aurora speed parts OS3 REH and the vintage AFX ho parts. with the new items auto world . and wizzard cars parts. i will never use any dash motor sports cars or items. also the OS3 has blank armatures which is great . i do rewind my own armatures . for all my hot builds. but like all stock ho racing also all drag racing and road racing are all great. all slot car racing is great.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi KensRedZed i myself do not race or run any of his cars/parts. at one time about 2 years ago i email him on some items i was looking for to buy from him. he was not very nice at all. so i called OS3 the owner is great . he said i will have what you are looking for very soon. when the blank armatures were in he email me . but yes many people do run dash cars/parts . it is just the bad experience i had with him that is why. i look at it this way if you are not nice to your customers your items are probably the same way.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
GK58,

Thank you very kindly for responding. I fully understand.

I've had the opposite treatment from Dan, and really like Dash parts. I've received over 50-chassis from Dash and not a single problem so far.

Another HO vendor/owner with a name that has three "R"s in it wanted $44 from me to ship a $15 body to Canada. When I called him on the phone and asked him to ship the body to a family member in the USA at normal shipping rates. He said "I won't do that because you'll claim you never got the package". Nothing like a total stranger calling you a thief on the first meeting. That's really good for business. I told this R guy "I'll give my money to anyone, but you", and hung up in his ear.

Too bad things didn't work out for you.

Cheers,
Ken

· Rich Dumas
4,570 Posts
I expect that "RRR" has gotten burned a number of times and is reluctant to use the transshipment method. You could ask your family member to place the order and mail it to you when it arrives. Shipping things to Canada from the US can be a PITA sometimes.
Dash is Dan Cashmer, dealing with him may take a light touch. I have a number of the T-Dash cars, the earlier ones had several minor issues that had to be corrected for the cars to run their best. When I posted my review of the cars I believe that Dan got irritated, but with the second generation T-Dash cars the problems had been corrected.
Dan Cashmer did T-Jet fans a great service when he came out with a cloned T-Jet at a very reasonable price and I believe that he should be commended for that.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
There are many US suppliers that are easy to buy from. There's no excuse for calling a stranger a thief straight out of the gate. Dan easily figured that out and instead, happily took my money. I'm only too happy to pay for good a product.

I like Dash Motorsports parts and bodies.

I won't deal with suppliers that without any reason at all, call me a thief before we start doing business. It's not rocket science.

· Registered
49 Posts
GK58,

Thank you very kindly for responding. I fully understand.

I've had the opposite treatment from Dan, and really like Dash parts. I've received over 50-chassis from Dash and not a single problem so far.

Another HO vendor/owner with a name that has three "R"s in it wanted $44 from me to ship a $15 body to Canada. When I called him on the phone and asked him to ship the body to a family member in the USA at normal shipping rates. He said "I won't do that because you'll claim you never got the package". Nothing like a total stranger calling you a thief on the first meeting. That's really good for business. I told this R guy "I'll give my money to anyone, but you", and hung up in his ear.

Too bad things didn't work out for you.

Cheers,
Ken
Hi KensRedZed that is good that dash was nice was nice to you. his parts and cars are good i understand that. i was just trying to buy parts that were maybe returns or sent back damaged . i did tell him what kind of builds i was doing and trying to reach my goals. and he was not very nice about it. . also at one time he was thinking of not making anything anymore. so that is when i asked him. so i spoke with OS3 on what i needed his items were not even out yet and told me he will have those items in very soon. Dash could have bin more nice about it we are all just doing our builds and racing and enjoying this great hobby . i just became a new club member and i think you wrote me first . this is a great club to be in everyone is nice and gives great input on all scales of slot car racing.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts