SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Bearing in mind that I have not as yet spoke to the HONK guys other than a brief chat to David last Sunday on the matter. I have not discussed the consequences with Julian either as yet.

The plan is to combine the 4th running of the HOGP with EAHORC's 10th birthday and with the first ever EAHORC meeting using a six lane track. The consequences of this mean moving Kesgrave to February, not using all six lanes on October 30th, and of course the HOGP being at Chatham.

I am thinking of either holding the event over two days, or having the Championship stuff on the Sunday with some kind of meaningful race meet the day before. Racing at Chatham, with their permanent track makes either option workable. Either way I would be encouraging as many as possible to make a weekend of it and really celebrate 10 years in style.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I have no problem with that, but we need to discuss the Kesgrave round, as we could have really done with more setting up time, which will mean hiring the hall for two days, doubling the cost, it also depends if people want the long journey to Kesgrave in February.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am trying to move to each club having a set month, with those that have a second round per season rotating amongst those who wish too. Things are very fluid for many reason, which makes that tough, but it is something I would like to get closer to in coming seasons.

In this case you could keep April (it worked very well this year after all), with a one year 'blip' for 2012 for the HOGP.

Other fixed dates? Starting the season at Edmo and finishing it down on the Worthing coast, FLBT in March, Kings Lynn first week in December, SCHORC not in the colder months when they are more likely to want to make it a double header.

Julian, PM me or email me re: saturday costs for your venue.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 May 2011, 18:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am trying to move to each club having a set month, with those that have a second round per season rotating amongst those who wish too. Things are very fluid for many reason, which makes that tough, but it is something I would like to get closer to in coming seasons.

Sounds fine, May is good to go, with us

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 May 2011, 18:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SCHORC not in the colder months when they are more likely to want to make it a double header.

That would be a given seeing as our club meetings in the winter months are moved to Saturday's, to avoid winter weather travelling problems and two meetings at our facility in one winter month may be difficult.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,

I am more than happy to have May be the month we race at Yelling.

Your winter policy, which I completely understand, makes it a little harder for your club to take it's turn hosting a second round, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

If Roy is racing tomorrow can you decide who, if anyone, is bringing the Tyco cup down to Worthing?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although the 2012 HO Grand Prix seems a long way off I will be looking to sort the date by August, so get suggesting things to do on the Saturday.

if you would all rather not bother, let me know that too. I think it would only work if 10 or more stayed overnight locally, but I am hoping people will be up for that in sufficient numbers.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
I'd almost certainly be up for two days.

So, we'd have the HO:GP and EAHORC afternoon classes on the Sunday - as per usual.

As it's the 10th anniversary, would it be fun to race cars on the Saturday to the rules of the early years? Maybe in IROC-style, with one car on each lane?

And maybe - if we can hook up the necessary amps - have an unlimited race?

That would mean the day is looking to the past and - maybe - to the future.

Plus some food in the evening, of course

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds good.

We could throw in a Nascar race - the five most recent champions going head-to-head one minute per lane, as so on.

It really depends how many people would come the day before. So far we have....three!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 5 Jun 2011, 14:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like the idea of a quick pancake race.

They wont be 'exactly quick' but they will be a challenge to drive

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the pancake cars might be a bit wheezy on such a big track, but that can be checked out easily enough ahead of time.

Another option would be to have an 11 round season, with two rounds over the 10th BD weekend, best 9 scores to count for the season.

At the moment there is nowhere near enough feedback to do anything other than a normal round, and forget the birthday.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 7 Jun 2011, 13:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the moment there is nowhere near enough feedback to do anything other than a normal round, and forget the birthday.

This is a new thread, it is in 10 months time, plenty of time for ideas to come to the fore.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes and no.

The date will be fixed within the next 3 months, so it would be good to know if it is going to be a 2 day event so people can plan accordingly, book hotels etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
2 day events make more sence to me with the price of fuel as its and the apparent low costs of cheep hotels (if booked early).

If it was a 2 days event, would it not also make sence to start slightly later on the saturday, to give people time to get down and start earlyer on the sunday, so people can get home at a fair time on sunday?

But i guess this all depends on the costs for having the venue for 2 days.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I suspect the really cheap rooms have already gone, unless you are brave and wait them out. The discounts start again as the date in question draws near.

You are spot on about the start times. We would probably start whatever we did at 11am on the Saturday, and start the heats for the Sunday at 9am for those staying over. Those only coming for day 2 would commence their racing at 10am (the usual time).

If we can get 10 people to commit to an overnight stay and/or racing 2 days that would be good. But ideally the Saturday needs to include some of the big names from over the years to make it meaningful. I am not saying others would not be welcome, of course they would, but the anniversary would really be well marked by having a 'star studded' field.

It could be the date means little to people. I am not that enamored of longevity for it's own sake in the way that, for example, Nick Sismey is, with me it is more about marking a decade of changing the HO landscape in the UK fundamentally and (hopefully) permanently. If nobody wants to bother I will just do a private little fist pump on the actual 3650th day

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'd be up for 2 days at Honk, especially with a Pancake race, a classic NASCAR race on an oval would be good, I think they're okay on a big track speed wise, but anything too technical is horrible with them as they are tricky to drive, they do work very well on 4 x 8 tracks though, Andy Whorton's Demo track that was at Gaydon would make a very good Pancake track.

If anyone needs any hotel recomendations for the area I can help as sometimes I have to stay in the area for work and maybe when HONK gets going I could tie in work trips with visits to HONK.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would not mind in the slightest if you want to do 2 days at Honk,and we have lots of places people can stay at, not too far away as we are within 5 miles to medway towns and maidstone

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 7 Jun 2011, 13:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The date will be fixed within the next 3 months, so it would be good to know if it is going to be a 2 day event so people can plan accordingly, book hotels etc.

What are you worried about, just book it! Tony is ok with it!

I would think it would be best to plan it as a two day meeting, and IF You have to scale it back, it really is not a problem. I am sure with the strong southern base of the EAHORC National Series, getting enough racers to do two days of racing, in whatever form it takes, won't be a problem!

What do the other EAHORC'ers think?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Deane just to assist with numbers, me and Craig would be there for the Sunday racing side of things. It's a little too far off to commit fully to any Saturday racing but depending on where and when we would be up for any Saturday night celebrations that may happen, Craig would struggle to get into a strip club though

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (slowracer @ 8 Jun 2011, 08:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are you worried about, just book it!

I am not yet in a position to book it, as I want to wait to see when Gaydon2 happens, but I was not 'worried' in any case. When it comes to EAHORC I don't really do 'worried'.

QUOTE (mission65 @ 8 Jun 2011, 07:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i would not mind in the slightest if you want to do 2 days at Honk,and we have lots of places people can stay at, not too far away as we are within 5 miles to medway towns and maidstone

Thanks Tony, that is very kind of you.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts