SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we've all seen old slot cars packed with clay to provide extra traction - maybe some of us have even done that. I've only seen that on old 1/32 set cars: Strombecker, Eldon, etc. But I recently picked up a pair of 1/24 Strombecker bodies, a Ferrari P2 and a Ford J, both packed with clay front and rear. On the J (which I already cleaned), he had even sculpted the entire front and rear grille areas out of clay, whereas on the P2 only the front was filled in, with clay just added underneath the opening at the rear.

It seemed unusual enough on a 24th scale car to point out. Of course, maybe they were part of a Strombecker 1/24 scale set, with skinnier tires and no traction goop, so needed the extra weight.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Fender Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood

The front "plug"

Wood Trunk Insect Invertebrate Tree

I could also use some advice on these: I soaked the bodies and removed the decals, but the glue seems more or less embedded in the surface. Any good hints on removing that, chemical or physical? I scraped off as much as possible with a sharpened popsicle stick, but before going any further, wanted to know your secret recipes.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Toy Bumper Automotive exterior

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tail & brake light

I usually manage to do this with a combination of sanding, maybe some lighter fluid or another solvent, but if anybody's got a better way, I'm interested!

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
375 Posts
If the glue is hard, rather than still sticky/rubbery, it might polish out with an abrasive metal polish like Brasso or Solvol Autosol (or your local equivalent).

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've got a couple of 1/24 Monagram
lexen bodies and found clay front and rear ,I thought it strange at the time to, than looking at the Monagram chassis it would of been easier to use clay in the body for balist than trying to attach lead to the chassis!
Just my theory 🤔,
John

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't imagine Andy... got any juicy photos left?

John, first I've heard of somebody doing that with vac-formed bodies! If it's the pan type Mono chassis easy to add lead, but if it's the later ladder type chassis, not as easy.

Don

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don, in my esperience, sticker's glue residues come out easily using (ethyl) alcohol, with no harm to the plastic.
That did the trick Eduardo, thanks!

I used the alcohol from our medicine chest, which should protect the body from Covid too...

Anybody have a spare interior for the Ford J? (yes, I know i'm pushing my luck, but even if I could just see what one looks like, and how the mounting posts are arranged...)

Don

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andy, I'm flabbergasted.

I also thought I was pretty anal, but you're the king! (However, I did keep my modified, but never completed HO cars from when I was about 14, as shown below. Yep, I called my modified XKE No. 69 - thought I was pretty urbane, eh?)

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
375 Posts
I keep seeing that name, but don't really know what Plasticine is...

Don
It's an oil based clay, so never actually sets, remaining soft, sculptable and sticky, essentially forever. I'm not 100% sure what's in the proprietary stuff, but a (sorta) homebrew equivalent can be concocted from baby oil, candle wax, talcum powder and petroleum jelly (Vaseline). Which, I can tell you, gets you some looks at the supermarket checkout when you buy the raw ingredients for a large batch.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Wood Laptop Gadget Personal computer Input device

Rectangle Font Circle Art Paper

Harbutt was an art school headmaster and invented it around 1897 for modelling. I use it mainly as a support for paint spraying, thus:

Wood Table Eyewear Hardwood Rectangle

After a while you get a thick multilayer of dry paint that stops anything attaching to it so you just slice off the layer with a scalpel and it's as good as new again. One of those blobs above lasts at least a year.

Andy

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info and warnings guys, good to know.

Of course the lead I generally use as weight is probably toxic too, but maybe not when just being glued on the chassis - bring on the soldering fumes!

Don

1 - 20 of 26 Posts