SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Snappy thread title, eh?

If you've ventured over to the scratchbuild section you might have seen my efforts to make a slot car go slow, but look cool while it's doing it. Racing cars should corner flat like a go-kart, old American cars should be squealing their whitewall crossplies and making a Citroen 2CV look composed through the curves.
Youtube link

I've got one bodyshell to go with my chassis

and one more on the way

I'd like to get a few more cars made up with different bodyshells so I thought I'd throw it open to you knowledgeable lot here. CJA built used this very nice Torino shell on the chassis

I've trawled the web and auction sites, below are a few I've found and have got my wallet twitching...
'69 Javelin

'65 Coronet

Great looking Plymouth Fury from 1965

Oldsmobile Omega is maybe a little new for me at 1980, but I bet they were making rollcages for these by the dozen in Hollywood

Plymouth Barracuda, always reminds me of the song "Summer Fun" from the early '80s

Great Impala

So what am I missing? Where else should I look? I'm really looking forward to the replies!

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
The Carrera Plymouth Roadrunner springs to mind, they did a couple of Police/Sheriff liveries, one black and white and one blue and white. They'd be perfect for one of your chassis. Bit expensive if you find one, but there should be plenty in classic NASCAR guise.
Carrera also do lots of other classic american iron, perfectly suited to a blamange chassis

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi choc-ice...now you'e on dangerous ground not all yank tanks wallow like pigs, the Barracuda, Impala Coupe S/S, Torino and Javelin don't....(well not as much), but Plymouth's, Caddy's & Old's do, unless they're in NASCAR trim, now if you can find a FABULOUS HUDSON HORNET, I'd be impressed and buy one,....yes the same car as in CARS, an impressive beast, it all went down hill from there.
Keep up the great work!

Chris an ex-pat living in the land of Moon Shine (yes really...you want some?...disgusting stuff!)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (BeardogRacing @ 18 Jan 2012, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi choc-ice...now you'e on dangerous ground not all yank tanks wallow like pigs, the Barracuda, Impala Coupe S/S, Torino and Javelin don't....

Oh really?

Coop

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Gunze Sangyo do static kits of a few classic 'beached whale' type Americanos. Impala, Bel Air, T'Bird and Fairlane Sunliner. Not always easy to come by but worth searching out. And I've a resin casting of a '65 'Cuda that I was given as a present from MoparDevil. Now, I believe the original source was a static model, but I don't remember what brand.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Coop...

I said (well not as much), is there an icon for sarcasm?

You know even now US cars are different.

Like: what the difference between a Euro Volvo and a U.S. Volvo? You got it, the U.S. version wallows like a Pig, dressed in Swedish/Chinese clothes. (they put mushy springs in them for American tastes) I used to sell them, Volvo even has a chart showing how much softer the spring rates are than the Euro version.

Sorry choc-ice didn't mean to take your thread off track...but how about the Hudson?

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Miker @ 17 Jan 2012, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Carrera Plymouth Roadrunner springs to mind, they did a couple of Police/Sheriff liveries, one black and white and one blue and white. They'd be perfect for one of your chassis. Bit expensive if you find one, but there should be plenty in classic NASCAR guise.
Carrera also do lots of other classic american iron, perfectly suited to a blamange chassis

That's a good call, but as you say they're really expensive!

QUOTE (BeardogRacing @ 17 Jan 2012, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi choc-ice...now you'e on dangerous ground not all yank tanks wallow like pigs, the Barracuda, Impala Coupe S/S, Torino and Javelin don't....(well not as much), but Plymouth's, Caddy's & Old's do, unless they're in NASCAR trim, now if you can find a FABULOUS HUDSON HORNET, I'd be impressed and buy one,....yes the same car as in CARS, an impressive beast, it all went down hill from there.
Keep up the great work!

Chris an ex-pat living in the land of Moon Shine (yes really...you want some?...disgusting stuff!)
I had no idea that some American cars could corner at less than 30 degrees of lean, I can show you carefully collected scientific evidence from The Rockford Files, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Fall Guy, CHiPs&#8230; the list goes on!

It's true that anything set up for racing will (or at least should) corner nicely, even 2CV racers look undramtic when cornering and they're more or less flirting with 35mph. But that's not where my interest is&#8230; And the Hudson Hornet is a little early for my tastes; my childhood TV was watching '60s and '70s cars, not late '40s stuff.

QUOTE (Ember @ 17 Jan 2012, 22:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gunze Sangyo do static kits of a few classic 'beached whale' type Americanos. Impala, Bel Air, T'Bird and Fairlane Sunliner. Not always easy to come by but worth searching out. And I've a resin casting of a '65 'Cuda that I was given as a present from MoparDevil. Now, I believe the original source was a static model, but I don't remember what brand.
That's a new one on me, I will hit Google with a new optimism!

QUOTE (alfetta @ 17 Jan 2012, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pioneer produce some nice American iron
Alfetta
This is very true, my last purchase was a Pioneer car and I was very pleased with it, but it seems a bit of a waste to get a complete car and throw half of it away. Having said that, if I can find a cheap used Carrera Pontiac Firebird which can be painted gold I'm all over it like a cheap suit!

·
6,455 Posts
Gunze have done a few others over the years.

This is the Impala version I have.

The Thunderbird

The Fairlane

The Bel Air

Oh, they did two Eldorados that I might have to hunt up.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Pendles have a Revell Snaptite set of 3 cars for about £18, 68 Pontiac GTO, 68 Camaro, and mid 70s Corvette, Revell also made a snaptite Firebird in 1:32 scale.

Also American cars don't have to wallow, AMXs wallow no more than a Capri and Camaros can be made to handle for very little money, but a lot of the brakes on American cars are appalling.

·
6,455 Posts
And seeing as there was mention of Emigre. He found a good source for 1:32 diecasts. I'm sure there's more than the odd one of them that would make appropriate casting fodder.

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 18 Jan 2012, 09:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a good call, but as you say they're really expensive!

Are you after one to use the body? NASCAR versions can be had for about £30 on the bay.
If you just need one to take a mold of, I'll happily loan you the orange one seen here, do what you like to it, as long as I get all the pieces back after

Drop me a p.m. if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Cordoba with fine Corinthian leather.

·
David Farrow
1,225 Posts
Hi Guys

Over weight! Slow, out of date, inefficient, over size, lumbers along well that's enough about me. I got Gunze.

I think this is all they made.

The Pontiac is a MPS slot racing body.

Deals can be done Pm me

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 18 Jan 2012, 10:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pendles have a Revell Snaptite set of 3 cars for about £18, 68 Pontiac GTO, 68 Camaro, and mid 70s Corvette, Revell also made a snaptite Firebird in 1:32 scale.

Also American cars don't have to wallow, AMXs wallow no more than a Capri and Camaros can be made to handle for very little money, but a lot of the brakes on American cars are appalling.
The muscle cars like the Camaro have been done pretty well as racers, agreed that they don't all handle badly. However holding up a Capri as a comparison of cornering behaviour puts you on very shaky ground if I remember my teenage years&#8230;

QUOTE (Miker @ 18 Jan 2012, 11:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you after one to use the body? NASCAR versions can be had for about £30 on the bay.
If you just need one to take a mold of, I'll happily loan you the orange one seen here, do what you like to it, as long as I get all the pieces back after

Drop me a p.m. if you're interested.
That's very kind but taking a mould wouldn't leave the shell in a state I'd be happy to give back!

QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 18 Jan 2012, 14:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also look up RMS resin bodies
Have done, Dave has been very kind measuring up some shells to make sure they'll fit and I'm just about to order one from him.

QUOTE (ironman @ 18 Jan 2012, 14:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so the big question is when can we buy these chassis?
PM on its way

QUOTE (loud bloke @ 18 Jan 2012, 14:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys

Over weight! Slow, out of date, inefficient, over size, lumbers along well that's enough about me. I got Gunze.

Deals can be done Pm me
Wow! I commend your determination. You've got it bad!

QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 18 Jan 2012, 15:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love my Gunze Caddy!

It looks great, they didn't race them for real, did they? The anti-roll bars must have been 8 inches diameter!

I'm very impressed with what's been mentioned, thanks to everyone who contributed. I thought before that America has forgotten most of its '70s heritage through model kits and unfortunately that seems to be correct. There aren't many kits of cars made after the fuel crisis, other than the odd Corvette or Firebird.

·
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (loud bloke @ 19 Jan 2012, 00:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh oh oh. I want. I want! That's one that I don't have. Don't know why I like the wagons better, but I do.

A friend's new baby just arrived home yesterday.

Yeah yeah. I know it's not the same model.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts