SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 165 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Sealevel,

Sadly I don't make the transit bodies (wish I was that good!). They are a kids toy with a pull back motor although one that is endorsed by Ford and is actually painted plastic which makes the finish so much nicer.

I do a chop job on the Scalextric chassis and carve chunks out of the transit chassis to accommodate the motor. I use the transit's original front axle holes reamed out to fit the scalextric axle - this makes it easier to get perfect alignment.

I guess I need to set up another thread to explain. If you PM me with your email address I can send you a PDF of the build process with words and pictures.

Good thought on extending the pit lane.

LOVE the Ninco barriers with the netting/chain link on top. I have come across the Scalextric barriers mounted on pins before and that was going to be my approach - I can have one set of holes for kids racing to help keep them on the track and another set of holes to move the barriers out to make it more of a challenge for experienced racers. I have about 4 metres of new Scalextric armco style barriers and some more vintage barriers from the 70's in a box somewhere. There are some flags that mount on the top of the barriers as well if my memory serves right. I think the "pins" used for the barriers are pop rivets - the thicker end being used to mount the barrier and the thinner end inserted into a suitable hole.

Zipp has helpfully sent my design thinking into a tail spin with his last post so I need to spend a few days pondering (and probably ordering more latches!)

Richard

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Hi Zipp,

Nice plans! Now I have to go back to the drawing board and give it some thought.

I do have borders - two sets from two Triple Cup sets, I will need to get more. I didn't draw them in my software because it's not a track design package - just Corel Draw but I know it backwards.

I can see what you have tried to do - add speed and reduce de-slots. are those R2 22.5 degree curves you have used? I don't have any of those. More hammering of my Paypal balance I guess

I'm in two minds. Snurfen has a track of the same length with TWO R1 hairpins and I am always coming off on one but only because he doesn't have borders or barriers on it. The other one does have borders and I'm OK with the Transit on that one.

I like a tricky track - BUT I accept that kids might get frustrated with it (hence the reduced power option).

What you have shown me is that I was artificially constraining my design with rectangular boards. I was originally intending to slot them in to a racking system for storage. But now that I have decided to keep all by the APB/Pit Lane section flat I can have any shape board as long as it fits within an overall size (Mondeo Estate Boot with rear seats down).

I think what I will do is try to design again using some of my favourite bits and some of your sensible bits.

By the way I appreciate the time you must have put into this - thanks.

MORE midnight oil for me then!

Thanks folks - I would rather spend time debating and getting it right than spending time regretting my decisions later.

Richard

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
A note on those Transits - they really are a joy to drive and handle beautifully. They are not noticeably slower than the F40s. Looking forward to seeing 6 of those on track together!

It's very interesting to watch the discussion about the actual positioning of track pieces - I'm always trying to learn from these suggestions and the reasoning behind it. Thanks for taking the time and effort to contribute, as it's not just Mr Modifier gaining from your sharing of knowledge!

I have consciously done an up-and-downy type track Where there are several parallel sections) but this was so I could get maximum slot into the area provided. Hence two sets of R1s inside R2s - something that has fascinated me since I saw my first four laner as a kid in Evans and Evans in Swansea.

A few ideas MR M - I've got a fairly healthy supply of poster board from work, you can take some away next week and try it for infield areas.
Secondly, I've been thinking of scratch building some of the Ninco style catch fencing for a while now. May dig out some plasticard and scrim and get to it next week.

Lastly, Mr M is a very affable bloke, so I can vouch no rudies or slights were edited out! We struck up an immediate rapport on meeting, and I defy anyone not to get on well with the bloke!

In the immortal words of young Mr Grace...... "You're all doing very well - carry on".

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Been busy on the track plan.

Much as I would LOVE to buy more 22.5 degree bends the budget simply won't allow.

However I have modified as follows -
I have replaced the dodgy R1 45 deg curve bottom left with an R2 so there will be less deslots.
I have moved the R1 45 deg curve top right to the side nearest the marshal.
I have extended both pit lanes - the pit lane proper and the driver swap/bonus prize/stop-go penalty pit.

So within the constraints of the wallet I have listened, learned and adapted. It's still a bit parallel but it will have to do and I will try to disguise it with different infield finishes, hoardings (without damaging line-of-sight) and props.

My next one will be a portable routed digital track but let me finish this one first!

Here's the picture...

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Snurfen,

Thanks for the kind words.

The poster board will be great to try out. Loads of sliding space and a great way to hide the electrickery - thanks!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Yes, the barriers were held with either pop rivets or just finishing nails.

I have PM'd you with my email address.

Cheers!

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OK here we go then.

Garage cleared so I can put tables and base boards out and start laying out track.

Here are some photos...

This is one of the tables with an 8' x 4' 12mm MDF sheet on top (that's 2440mm x 1220mm x 12mm).

The boards will need to fit in the back of my Mondeo which means no more than 1100mm wide and ideally not longer than 1400mm to make them easier to manhandle. BUT WHAT ABOUT 6 foot tables I hear you cry?

Easy. Get folding ones like this...

Note the steel frame, central locking pins etc.

According to the manufacturer these will take 150kg each - more than enough for my needs.

The top is "blown plastic" - a bit like the stuff that modern baby slides and other garden toys are made from so it's rot proof and easy to clean.

And here's one folded up with it's integral carry handle out...

And the best part - under £36 each including delivery. Bargain!

Going to lay some track on it now and get my circular saw out!

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Slight aside - I went to visit Snurfen last night for more "testing". We are learning SSDC together.

I took 4 transits (I am going to run a transit class on this track). We grabbed a passing family member and had a 3 way race - what fun! These little white vans take some serious bashing in their stride. Even when Snurfen mischeviously placed my deslotted transit back on the track facing the wrong way and we ended up with a full speed head-on smash in the middle of a 3m straight there were no breakages. Wasn't expecting that little bonus testing event!

To be fair to Snurfen - I don't think he was expecting me to take off at full speed looking at the wrong transit not realising I was about to do a head-on!!!

Need to stop playing on other people's tracks and start on my own. This weekend I promise

·
4,284 Posts
Fair play, those three way races with the Trannys were great fun - the essence of diigital! I think we may have hooked Rachael, if we can drag her away from A Level maths and Facebook.

Whats first for you? Cutting boards to spec?

Good luck on the weekend, the forecast suggests not much outdoor action this weekend (25 mph winds plus) so plenty of action in the garage it is. Doubt if I'll go to Pembrey for the racing, it's a windy old spot even on a sunny day.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Got to work on Sunday morning
so going to find time limited on the weekend. SO I decided not to go to Badminton this evening and spend a few hours in the garage instead.

The good news is my wife had a look at the end result and was actually impressed - might make it easier to get garage passes on the weekends from now on!

SO here's what I did...

Placed my MDF sheet across two tables and made the first cut. The Amman Valley Raceway is now officially "Under Construction".

Cutting 12mm MDF with a laminate saw is actually really easy both in terms of effort and in accuracy - tip worth knowing.

I have toyed with all sorts of ideas in my head with regard to securing the boards to the tables. The boards are quite heavy and will be even more so with track fixed to them so no complicated locating pegs, dowels or biscuit joints then. Here's my approach. Gravity plus some simple locating tongues that get the surfaces flat to each other.

A few more photos should make it clearer...

The board is upside down so you can see! The table sits inside the retaining blocks. The board with the central tongues cloest to the table gets laid on the table first. The second board is slid onto the table with the end away from the centre raised a few inches. This allows the tongue to easily slide alongside each other and the ends of the track to mate. As the boards get closer the end is lowered and it all fits nicely together.

Final fixing together will be using case latches that will apply a slight pulling action to hold things tight. I am not relying on track ends mating for electrical connection - this will be done by power taps with push fit connections (one 4-way connector for each join across boards.

Here's a closer look at the joining bit...

It seems to work quite well. It's simple and robust. The tongues are glued as well as screwed. I will seal the MDF which makes it less prone to damp AND adds a degree of toughness to the edges which can wear quite badly with regular moving.

Just got to make another 2 tables worth and I can start laying track!

Took me 2 hours but the next 2 will be quicker now I know what I am doing.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks Mr Flippant. It's a simple solution but took quite a lot of "round-the-houses" thinking to get to it!!!

All my track is flat so the raising of one end to make it easier to locate the tongues will work well. Of course I will have to butcher the plastic tabs on the track at the board edges because once I push them together I want to be able to get them apart again without unscrewing the track from the board!!! I will trim the tabs quite short so they act as locators rather than a means of preventing the track from pulling apart.

With boards that have raised track sections that cross boards this tipping to locate technique wont work. However - I have been thinking about this and if I were to lightly sand the projecting ends of the tongues so they are a bit rounded I can see no reason why they shouldn't lay flat and simply push together. I may even try this with my boards - it will probably make it easier to get all the stubby tabs and rails to connect. A bit of furniture polish on the tongues will also help the boards slide together better.

·
4,284 Posts
Like Mr F, I think the locating and interlocking methods are both very clever.

Do you mean you will chamfer the upper leading edge of each tongue? If so, you could be quite liberal with a fair old 45 degree chamfer.

Also, once sealed and polished, a good rubbing with an ordinary candle will ease the joining/unjoining action considerably.

Looking good mate. will bring some faux champagne to the capping off ceremony!

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Snurfen,

I think just adding a small radius to each edge and corner of each tongue will be enough - it only needs a little play in it to allow for an easy fit.

Looking forward to the faux champagne!

·
Greg Gaub
14,983 Posts
Yeah, chamfer the tongues, but you don't need to cut the track tabs short. Just cut out the little bit in the center of the rounded tabs. Those are the locking bits, and with them removed, the tracks will come right apart. Maybe chamfer the tips of the square tabs on the pieces that connect at each table piece, too, so that they become "locating" as well, rather than cause problems when pieces don't feel like lining up.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
[/quote]And here's one folded up with it's integral carry handle out...

And the best part - under £36 each including delivery. Bargain!

Going to lay some track on it now and get my circular saw out![/quote]

Mr Modifier, where did you get those tables from please?

Stevef1964

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Hi Steve,

Got them on Ebay

Just search for "6FT TRESTLE TABLE, FOLDING, FOLDS IN HALF, V TOUGH"

I just checked and the guy I bought them from has just put his prices up by £2 !!! I Paid £35.85 each including delivery at the end of September 2011.

There are a few sellers and strangely they are cheaper on Ebay than buying direct off supplier websites. Nuts.

Richard

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 7 Oct 2011, 14:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah, chamfer the tongues, but you don't need to cut the track tabs short. Just cut out the little bit in the center of the rounded tabs. Those are the locking bits, and with them removed, the tracks will come right apart. Maybe chamfer the tips of the square tabs on the pieces that connect at each table piece, too, so that they become "locating" as well, rather than cause problems when pieces don't feel like lining up.

Good idea. I'll give it a go.

I was a bit concerned about catching the ends if they stick out too much but if that becomes an issue I'll trim them shorter.

Thanks.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
MAJOR UPDATE

Saturday - It's been a good day!

I prepared the first of three main boards on Thursday - this was the critical one that needed to be cut to size before I could "offer up" the other two to see exactly how big they needed to be.

So today I was able to get a load done - as follows:

First I laid out the three tables with boards...

Then I got the track out and started laying it. Father-in-law came over to help as I had mentioned it in the week - thanks David.

It didn't take long to get the track laid out according to my plans.

But then the fun and games started.

It's amazing what little adjustments you need to make to make things more practical in the flesh. Drawings on a screen or paper never quite live up to expectations. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the track looked but there were some minor tweaks.

By a stroke of luck my racing buddy Snurfen was in the area so he popped over and we messed about with subtle track changes to make it more workable.

Can you see the difference in the middle of the track from the last picture to the next one?

So here we are - the finished version of the track.

By the way - the track difference was a shortening of the middle track section with the hairpin nearest the camera - there seemed little point in the hairpin being on the next board over - another point to lose power. We also lengthened the second pit lane (the one for stop-go and various kiddy games like knock down the barrels for a packet of sweets).

I then marked up the boards with the location of the track because the track need to go away while I cut the two end boards and do the table fitting stuff I did to the first board last Thursday.

No barriers yet but we couldn't have a track without running some cars could we!!!

First to run on the Amman Valley Raceway was a transit driven by my son. Second was a Viper driven by Snurfen and then we suddenly had 5 cars racing and not a single pacer in sight!

Only one car came off the board and on to the concrete and that was a transit - not driven by my son (was it Snurfen
).

Just as well I make the transits myself really.

Here are a couple of action photos.

Next steps?

Got to work tomorrow morning so not much more will get done this weekend.

Snurfen is coming around on Tuesday so we can work out where to route all the wiring and suchlike. Hopefully I can get the boards finished in terms of table fixings and maybe the case latches. At this rate the Amman Valley Raceway will be ready in a month.

Does that sound a bit like famous last words?!?

What do you think of it so far folks?

PS IN case anybody asks - I know the pit lanes aren't complete - the Royal Mail has some track in it's system winging it's way towards me as we speak.

·
Greg Gaub
14,983 Posts
Since you're wanting to keep things flat and flush, you could router wide channels for wiring. That way the wiring won't mess up the way the sheets lay flat on the tables.
Just drill the holes where the wiring will come through, and then rout the channels between them.

Oh, and why not use those squeeze tracks for the pits? If you don't want the full track width, well, slice them down the middle. Way cheaper than single straights, and less connections to lose power over.

21 - 40 of 165 Posts