SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , ALL - Looking for opinion- what is the best h.o. chassis , ever made for home track fun.. No super-duper technical spped demons. Thanks for any responses.....

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
That question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" as it depends very much on your home track and also what you consider to be fun, personally I find modern high downforce cars a bit too fast and grippy for home tracks, so my answer would be Aurora Magnatraction, but Tomy Turbos can be just as much fun on 14 volts and the standard tyres, but my tastes are different to Montoya's when it comes to home racing, but we raced against each other at the weekend using Mega Gs on a big circuit, which was fun.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Out of the box, I would say the Tomy Mega-G and Tomy Racing Turbo.

They are very different cars, but great fun. The Tyco/Mattel 440x2 would be up there too.

Some of the other cars - Tomy SG+, Life Like FastTracker and the Autoworld cars - need a bit of work to get them right.

All the HO cars benefit from a pair of silicone tires on the rear, in my opinion.

Have fun

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
For a regular sized home track I agree with Julian in that the Aurora Magnatraction or the remade version (which is the Autoworld X-Traction) are best. Not too quick that you can't see them, a bit slidey in the corners and with enough speed range that you can attack the track and even accelerate and brake again on a 15" straight. Also look at the LifeLike M Chassis, Aurora G+ and Rokar chassis for similar characteristics but with different balances of speed, grip and torque.

After that the old staples of the Tomy Turbo, Tyco 440 X2 etc are good.

And if you do like quick and great handling cars then the Mega G and SG+ are where it is at. And the LifeLike T and on and on we go.

So much choice! I recommend buying a couple of each and experimenting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, opinions. I am new to H.O., ran t-jets as a child , and I am trying to play catchup. Missed all of the cars and technology for the past 45 yr.s / but it's all fun.. thanks again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Lifelike is good (my NASCAR is quick but a little light), but for my money - the simplicity, torque and weight of micro Scaley cannot be beaten for a simple home layout. Even more so with the magnets loosened slightly. And of course there's a lot of variation through the range. The MINI is brick where as my Aston gives anything a run for its money.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Reggio3 @ 15 Feb 2012, 23:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the thoughts, opinions. I am new to H.O., ran t-jets as a child , and I am trying to play catchup. Missed all of the cars and technology for the past 45 yr.s / but it's all fun.. thanks again.

You can still get T-Jets, either new old stock or the Autoworld copies.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A.F.X. Mega G for me too, in fact it's on a smaller layout that they come into their own I feel. Best looking bodies too and available in frankly amazing value sets with the best track system too.

X-tractions and the like are fun.

I too have a lot of time for Micro Scalextric and Lifelike M chassis but the appeal of the former is diminished when not racing on it's own track system (without modification) and the latter is no longer in production.

All that said I enjoy all of the above at home as do my children, happy racing.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 16 Feb 2012, 08:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can still get T-Jets, either new old stock or the Autoworld copies.

And Dash will be doing a chassis soon-ish too, this will be the real deal rather than the AW one, which is a tuff ones copy.

Right now you can get magnets, with arms and shoes to follow very soon, and eventually the chassis.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
That's interesting as the quality of Autoworld products is variable.
I think any slot car can be fun, it's just when you try to race different brands/chassis against each other things get complicated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tomy Turbos for me. Fast, not too much downforce, hit a curve just right and they will give a slide that is nothing short of awesome! After that it's: SRT's, Aurora G+; Amrac, Tyco HP7 or HP2; Life-Like is super fast on the straights, but doesn't handle fast curves too well. Mega G's and Super G+ get a bit boring after a while because of the super strong magnets, IMO.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I can't help myself...

I ran some of my HO this evening, as I got these five new MT's to love and tender and see racing after thirty year in some dusty closet.
My first cars where Faller (actually my big brother's) and I went on to Tyco Pro (still got the silicone tyres on 'em), Riggen and Aurora MT and G+.
Thirty years later I find myself looking for the same as back then. As little magnatraction as possible.

My recipe for a really nice HO is:
Tyco 440: rip out all magnets. Yes, all four.
And the rear tyres.
And the guide pin.

Then off to first eBay and get two round Ø4x3mm neodym magnets. Then across the Atlantic to Scale Auto and get their biggest silicone tyres. Dark Grey IIRC. And then off to Ed Binachi and his HORacePro. And get his trimmed Slide Guides. Yes, trimmed. You haven't a routed track, right? Not routed, then trimmed. Or trued, or whatever Ed call them.
You might want a 5x5mm brass rod to. A square one. I think it's 5mm. You better check. The size of the tractionmagnet, without the chevron.

So, what to do now then?
1) True them tyres real good. You want round edges. As round as possible. Oops, sorry. First you cut them in half. Then you true them.
2) Glue the neo's as motor magnets. I'd say glue them to the chassis wall and then fixate them with hot-glue. Yes, I have chosen them magnet's size to be fair replacements.
3) Cut and trim the flat of the Slide Guide so it turns freely inside the pick-up shoes. Yes, you keep them shoes. But that flat mustn't go in under them while turning, so trim it good.

Dust wipe the track, tape the tyres and off you go. Might want them brass rods now?
Cut them in 6mm long bits and slide them in where the tractionmagnets where.

Yeah, on more thing. You will probably want to lower the voltage. 10 volts perhaps?

Go enjoy really nice power slides and come back tell me this wasn't fun at all...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts