SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Here are photos of the completed Modified Monogram Grand Sport Roadster. Rather than wasting more bandwidth with a totally new post I thought I just edit this one.

Enjoy!

Greenman62

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Superb work on the car and another absolutley awesome driver figure. Is he the standard figure or constructed from various other body parts like your previous ones?

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your compliments, folks

QUOTE Can we see the chassis?

`Nothing surprising there... It's a stock Monogram GS Vette with aftermarket axles, BWA wheels and centers. I'll get to serious tweeking once I get the body where it needs to be.

QUOTE Is he the standard figure or constructed from various other body parts like your previous ones?

Frankenstein's cuter brother

QUOTE Whats the livery? Where did it run?

It ran at Sebring in 1966 under the banner of a Philadelphia Chevy dealer... Roger Penske.

BTW, the car that ran at Sebring had a different bonnet as it was carburated rather than fuel injected. I like the "slats" bonnet so it stayed. The car is vintage raced with the slats bonnet today.

Greenman62

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Very nice work, Greenman! But I don't think any of the GS vettes were fuel injected, the coupes I've seen all had cross flow Weber set ups. And I believe that the roadsters were converted to big block (427ci/7liter) engines with single 4 barrel carbs? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE But I don't think any of the GS vettes were fuel injected

The Grand Sports from `64 on were cross flow Webers. However the Grand Sport project started in 1963. The `63 cars had the standard Corvette fuel injection on a 327 (L84, I think) early in the season and later in `63 they tried a Rochester fuel injection system. At the end of the season Gulf took the fuel injection systems and later sold them.

(man, it's great to have a good reference source).

In this case we're both right... and wrong...

Greenman62

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
That is interesting Greenman, except that I am very sure that the production Corvette FI was made by Rochester (a division of GM). So I guess that maybe there was another version?

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
QUOTE That is interesting Greenman, except that I am very sure that the production Corvette FI was made by Rochester (a division of GM). So I guess that maybe there was another version?

That would be correct. As you can see on the left is the FI that was installed on the original early 1963 season GS L84. It is if not the same unit that came with standard Vettes it's really similar. The unit on the right is a special dual inlet Rocester unit that was on the GSs at the end of the season... The ones that Gulf took and later sold.

Greenman62

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Wow, I've never seen anything like that unit on the right. It looks very tall, does it protrude through the hood like a dual 4 barrel tunnel ram type intake? I am very interested in these because I work for a company that makes a mechanical fuel injection system for aircraft. It was originally made by Bendix and is based on similar principals to the Rochester system. It was also used on several Indy cars in the 60's and 70's, including the '70 and '71 Indy 500 winner. What book are these pictures from?

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE What book are these pictures from?

The book is "CORVETTE GRAND SPORT" Text: Lowell C. Paddock and Dave Friedman, Photography: Dave Friedman. Pub Motorbooks international ISBN 0-87938-382-8

Greenman62

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.