SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is guys... The 2005 World Championship Winning car

I'd apologise for all the pictures, but you know you love them.

So these are the first pictures of the new McLaren MP4-20. Kimi Raikkonen took the car out for a few laps of the Barcelona track ahead of its formal launch later on Monday.

At first glimpse, the biggest difference between the new car and it's predecessor, the MP4-19B, is a much wider nose. However, even this is not much of a surprise because McLaren ran a very similar nose at last year's Italian Grand Prix. The car also boasts larger and more noticeable sidepod chimneys, similar to those on the Ferrari F2004.

Kimi Raikkonen said his first impressions of the new McLaren MP4-20 were overwhelmingly positive. He took the car out for a shakedown first thing on Monday morning at Barcelona. The Finn is hopeful that the car will live up to expectations - but warned that this is only the beginning of the team's work. He said: "A lot of time, effort and work has been invested in the new car, with the engineers working more for us than ever before. "My first impression after these few laps is a good one, however, the work for me and my driver colleagues starts only now."

Team boss Ron Dennis added: "Since MP4-20 was fired up for the first time at 2.30am on Thursday at the McLaren Technology Centre, the anticipation of the car's initial run has been building and we are pleased to have completed its shakedown this morning. Today's unveiling is the first tangible demonstration of the team's preparations for the 2005 season, a year that has the potential to be exciting and positive for all the teams, our partners and the fans alike. There is feverish work taking place across the team to achieve the best possible result for the this year."

Team principal Ron Dennis has also demonstrated his enthusiasm for the coming season, explaining that the team has never been better prepared. "Today's unveiling is the first tangible demonstration of the team's preparations for the 2005 season, a year that has the potential to be exciting and positive for all the teams, and fans alike."

The design of the MP4-20 has been heavily influenced by significant revisions to both the sporting and technical regulations that govern Formula One in four key areas: engine lifespan, limitations on tyre use, aerodynamics and race weekend format particularly for qualifying.

"The revisions created an interesting challenge for our design team under Adrian Newey, Mike Coughlan and Neil Oatley, and the result is a car that looks quite different from last year," said McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh. "Mercedes-Ilmor on the engine side has to cope with similar technical and timescale challenges."

The car is also the first to have been completely designed and produced in McLaren's state of the art Technology Centre, allowing the team to spend even more time in the wind tunnel to be able to optimise its aerodynamic capabilities.

"The aerodynamic modifications have led to the most visible differences on the car, to the design of the chassis, which has been exclusively developed in the McLaren Technology Centre," Whitmarsh added. "These include the raising of the front wing by 50mm, restricting the height of the diffuser to 125mm and bringing the rear wing package forward by 150mm.

"We have an intensive schedule to complete before the cars leave for Australia on Wednesday 23rd February, which will see us test at Valencia, Jerez and back to Barcelona," he continued. "By the second week in February at Jerez, we will have the second MP4-20 chassis in attendance, with the third due to come on line in the following week."

Pedro de la Rosa will test alongside Kimi today in the MP4-19B, evaluating components and systems alongside the programme for the 2005 car, sharing driving duties during the week with Alex Wurz.

I dunno if it's just me, but I can't wait 'til March!

Andy

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Will Kimi pass a breath test before driving?

From grandprix.com:
QUOTE The driver line-up of Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya seems on paper to be a very strong one. However there have been one or two strange signals in recent months which may be worrying the folk in Woking. Raikkonen has been in the newspapers twice in three months for wild sprees: the first on the island of Gran Canaria in November having been photographed. Raikkonen later apologised for his behaviour and we did not expect to hear anything else on the subject as Kimi would presumably have learned his lesson. However at the weekend there were new reports of another drunken spree at a London club. This may have no effect at all on his performance but it is unusual in the modern age for F1 drivers to get into the newspapers more than once for such activities.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So what type of braking system does it use, Andy?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, but can anyone remind me of the number on the front of Senna's first world championship McLaren?

Andy

PS. It's 12.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good answer! But can someone remind me what else changed when Senna - da Silva joined McLaren?

Hint: it was a Honda engine!

Actually Ive always been a McLaren fan, even before their first Indy 500 win and World Championship year. I think the big factor will be how much power and torque the M-B has.

I'd love to see more competition in F-1 this year. I get abused by everyone that says F-1 is more boring than NASCAR and women's soccer (football to most of the world) and I can't argue with them.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Restraining myself from making Pope jokes, so back to the new McLaren.

Why no sponsorship on the wings?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it's a shame to see Button getting lapped by Kimi... but oh well. If he doesn't drive for McLaren, I don't care.

I think it's a bit off for Schumie to go to see the Pope when clearly it's his contract with an alternative power that brings him so much success...

Andy

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
It looks like Michael is giving the Pope a packet of Marlboro lights....

I guess that the space on the McLaren wing is reserved for Johnnie Walker and will only carry the logo once an official announcement is made. No doubt Kimi approves of the new sponsorship deal!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
QUOTE Here it is guys... The 2005 World Championship Winning car

Gotta admire your optimism Mac!

Let's hope that the new technical regs result in cars that can actually be raced (you know - slipstreaming, overtaking, that kind of thing!!)

I'm just hoping/deluding myself (delete as appropriate!) that McLaren, Williams, BAR, Renault and Toyota can all field competitive cars and really take the battle to Ferrari.

Hey, I'm entitled to be optimistic too!

Rob

PS No disrespect to Sauber, Jordan and Minardi, but even my delusions only go so far!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I remember this time last year reading endless articles in the motor press about how close the new season was going to be. A five way battle between Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault and BAR. Then looked what happened...

I suppose it would take a miracle for two, let alone five or six teams to make equal standard cars. One car is always going to be slightly faster than the others.

I suppose that if it is the Mclaren that comes out on top this season we should at least be in for some exciting battles between Montoya and Kimi!

As ever I am looking forward to the first race when we will finally find out how all effectively the teams have spent all those millions of dollars.

JS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts