SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
It 's been an idea of mine for sometime to build a Mini Clubman front wheel drive anglewinder, a chance find of a motorless Scalextric Clubman at a boot sale sparked the build. Starting off with a Proslot Euromotor fitted with a US Proslot Puppy Dog armature (80 turns of 31 guage, 25 deg. timing) and a ballrace in the can. A 3/32'' axle in class 7 shielded ballraces using a Betta 38 tooth 64 pitch spur gear and 9 tooth pinion will provide the drive via 16mm wide x 18mm dia. black sponge tyres. Drive section completed, next job is the pivoted centre section and back end with rear axle mount. Haven't settled on a system to mount the body yet, any polite suggestions would be of interest bearing in mind it will have hinged brass pans. To be continued .....
Tony

·
Mike
629 Posts
Cor blimey I got lost on the motor and gearing description but will watch with interest the rest of the build

Mike

·
re member
4,019 Posts
This is what I call a challenge.
Why not quickly edit the title and flick the drive line around to the rear?

The body looks nice.

When I read the title I envisaged a ff030 slimcan/shortcan motor but this will be a beast to say the least.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Before you build this car you should read the section on posting pics! Maximum size is recommended at 650 pixels wide NOT 2288!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yikes, I think you'll have ample horsepower to push it along

I'd love to see a video of it in action.

Nice work.

- Cam

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Phil
I have only just found out how to post pics, I'd love to be able to resize them but that's black magic as far as I'm concerned. I'm a new member and have found that there are some people who like to criticise and make snidey remarks . Doesn't give the site a good image, why not be helpful and make positive suggestions rather than sitting back and sniping at easy targets.

Tony

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Munter
Nah, turning it round would make it too easy, always like a challenge. The body will look even better when it's been de-seamed and painted fluorescent orange
Tony

Camber, well as you see I have been knocked for the size of my pictures, so if I did manage to video it you would probably need a cinema to watch and not a pc/laptop

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Tony
when you signed up for membership to this forum you agreed to the rules of the forum so would have read the info about posting pics as you are asked to do when you agree to the forum rules. There is all the information on the forum on how to resize and post pics.
Posting large size pics not only takes up large amounts of storage space but it also locks up mobile devices that people may be using.

Posting Pics

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's quite a bit of a challenge you've taken on. From what I know, the Scalex Clubman is 52.5mm wide at the extended front fenders. Your two 16mm wide wheels will add up to 32mm minus boss width. Add the Pro-slot motor at 28mm - even if installed as a/winder, you'll probably need at least 25 - 26mm width, and you'll be left with no more than about 5 - 6mm of space for the a/w gear and clearance. That's going to be a real tight fit unless you're going to allow the wheels to poke out beyond the fenders, or have you extended them even more?! I was considering building a sidewinder rear wheel drive with the same bodyshell, but using a much smaller motor and narrower wheels. I think I'll wait and see how your build progresses.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Tony,
Phil is correct in what he has posted, please resize your photos prior to posting, his comments express the feelings of those who do not have superfast internet and are not meant in anyway to criticise or be snidey its a simple fact your actions must be in-line with SF Policy it's there for a reason.

In this instance I have resized it for you.

Please check out How to post photos.

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
A similar Mini was built by John Secchi some years ago, I believe there are pics of it somewhere here on the forum.
It went very well indeed!

Re. oversized pictures, simply set you camera to take smaller pictures in the first place, if you are not printing the picture then a lower resolution will be perfectly adequate for internet use.

·
Registered
627 Posts
not wishing to inflame the situation or be confrontational but....

QUOTE (Phil Kalbfell @ 29 Jun 2012, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Before you build this car you should read the section on posting pics! Maximum size is recommended at 650 pixels wide NOT 2288!

we are all new to something at some point and going in at the deep end with capitals and exclamation marks may not be the best way to help new boys (or girls)?

QUOTE (Phil Kalbfell @ 30 Jun 2012, 10:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tony
when you signed up for membership to this forum you agreed to the rules of the forum so would have read the info about posting pics as you are asked to do when you agree to the forum rules. There is all the information on the forum on how to resize and post pics.
Posting large size pics not only takes up large amounts of storage space but it also locks up mobile devices that people may be using.

Posting Pics

do you really read all the small print on everything these days?...if so you must anticipate living to 465.

its very easy to criticise but its no more difficult to help in a polite manner. just because a person is on an internet forum it doesnt always follow that they are fully up to speed with the wizardry of modernity.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoa, talk about pick on the newbie, as racer dude says who reads the small print, not enough time in the day. Thanks Phil for a positive suggestion but my camera is ancient and won't let me do as you suggest. Thanks whoever resized my pic, I have now had lessons from my son and my pics will be 25% of the size they were.
Chenglaw, I am using boss less wheels , the track of the car is going to be 60mm, I haven't decided whether to extend the arches or not as I like the look with about 3mm of tyre protruding. I will post the next installment tomorrow with SMALLER PICTURES.

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Thanks Phil, I immediately thought of John's car when I saw this topic - one of the more impressive cars I've seen in the last 10 years!

Bigtone, people aren't picking on you, really, just a few gentle reminders.... (you should see when guys really get into it, lots of fun for us mods).

We all started out in your case (or at least I did...), and slowly learned how to do this stuff. Perhaps your kids explained it, but you can also reduce pic size using Photoshop or a similar program, and there should be a simplified version with each digital camera - or on your kids' computers.

Your car looks like a good start, looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

Don

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Evening Bigtone interesting build in the 1960's i tried many variants of powering mini's using the only thing available at the time many Airfix bodies, i tried F.W.D with milliperms / microperms even tried one with an airfix motor and made a plasticard chassis for it, i tried 4.W.D. with filed down kays motors and later small can's with extended shaft's all to no availe with the rubber tyres available then, the F.W.D's were terrible esp up any rise, the 4.W.D were better but oh dear the cornering, Ken Holmes built the fastest mini i ever saw from this period it was 4.W.D. with a worked on M.R.R.C 6 pole motor picture of which is on the Wellgate slot stox site, but had the same cornering problem, i like the look of John Secchi's min and will keep an eye on your build as i quite fancy doing a min again especially an anglewinder keep us posted mate.
I must send some pictures sometime as it seems to gather comment, now where is my box brownie !!. Keith.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Part 2. The centre section is now finished it is made up of 2 piano wire side rails and a central pivot/spine. The spine is not fixed into place and is just fitted into 2 brass tubes to keep the chassis flexibility. The centre section that the pans will be hinged on pivots on the central spine. The rear axle is mounted on a separate pivoting section and mounted in 2 oilite bearings. The rear axle wiil split and each wheel be aloud to rotate independently. The guide is mounted to the front axle tube by 2 brackes. The guide rotates in a brass tube which has a spring inside to allow a movement 4mm. Next job is to fabricate the side pans and hinges and fit various stops to limit movement. Any suggestions for mounting the body to the higed brass pans would be welcome
Tony

·
re member
4,019 Posts
That looks good Bigtone. The tires dont look too far out of the flares.

Next I want you to build a standard Mini....no flares, no tires beyond the body edges, no guide showing out the front ! Oh hang on, that is what I am planning.

·
Registered
577 Posts
John, I don't think it's impossible but it won't be possible with those steam roller tyres! The standard classic Mini is only about 42mm wide - no way can you install a decent motor anglewinder style with about 10mm of space left! Maybe you can try to prove me wrong!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts