SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I do think that you are being overly cautious here, why don't you just put the track down and race on it . All the cleaning is a bit of a waste of time I know it's the right thing to do , but racing on your track will clean it anyway

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I do think that you are being overly cautious here, why don't you just put the track down and race on it . All the cleaning is a bit of a waste of time I know it's the right thing to do , but racing on your track will clean it anyway
I don't really know why i've decided to do it this way, as you say it seemed to be the right thing to do, will continue with it, will have it done this weekend and then get some track down and hopefully it will have been well worth the effort.

·
Addicted Rugracer
335 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'd take the same approach.
Do it right, do it once.

I'll be watching this come together with interest.

I'll be building myself a new workshop / mancave in the near future and have some latitude with respect to size and shape of the building so I'm trawling through the efforts of others to try to determine what size and shape layouts will best suit my needs.

Do you foresee any issues with line of sight with your U-shaped layout when you have a few drivers arranged around it?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hi Billy, yes do give some thought to the driver position,my track is a U shape , with one leg longer than the other,and it was okay with just me but when we had 4 of us ,we didn't have a line of sight for a lot of the track ,so now I've got to move it !!! Still it's all a learning curve All the best Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Billy, yes do give some thought to the driver position,my track is a U shape , with one leg longer than the other,and it was okay with just me but when we had 4 of us ,we didn't have a line of sight for a lot of the track ,so now I've got to move it !!! Still it's all a learning curve All the best Steve
Thanks for the warning, I haven't got much choice but to go with the U shape and can already see things being a bit tight with more than two drivers, with even two getting in each other's way. But its a price I will be willing to pay, will be the same for each driver.

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
Simple fix with bleacher style driver stations and extra long controller cables.
Been there done that lol
Bob

By bleacher i mean podium style at different heights

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
I used to race a friend with an L shaped track. We put tape on the floor to mark out the long side of the triangle of space that would impede vision and used long leads for drivers - who had to stand outside the triangle along the tape.

When there were a few of us a marshal would sit on a low stool inside the triangle so we could see over him unless he was reslotting a car.

It worked OK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well it's been a long time coming and its not in the right place but at last I've laid some track down, even had some movement on it, so far so good, more to do over the coming week including, remove some cupboards & shelving to make way for the other leg, to make the U shape, more track to go down, still wont be in the right place but gotta get more down for a play.

Im also developing the track design more in UR3, hopefully will have a post of that in the next few days. Also looking at various tracks with scenics, looking for ideas but my scenic building is quite some way off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Good luck with the build. I had two simple temporary layouts while I figured it all out. Funny that the small simple layouts can be a good learning experience and can be a complete blast. I never knew I would have so much fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been busy down at Sheddington, I have nw got track over the full U shape having done a few alterations, opened up a cupboard removed some shelving, although still a few more alterations to go, they can wait.

The tracks currently about 21 meters in length, and gets more crowded as you look from the bottom left and work round clockwise, I did this with a view to having more scenery, pits, garages, hospitality etc down the left side, with viewing / grandstand areas going up the first hill, more hospitality at the top of the hill (maybe an hotel), but much of that is sometime in the future. A bit more scenery but not as much at the top end and little or no scenics on the right hand side.

I'm fairly happy with the track, fairly bendy and probably one too many hairpins, and that fly over with cars flying off into the abyss needs thinking about with regards to barriers, fencing etc.

My next job will be to but a few barriers around both the track and the table tops. But nothing doing with the scenery right now, im going down to Gaydon in a couple of weeks with a view to picking up tips & ideas on how to go about the scenery, I will als of course be going through the wonderful threads on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think I've just about got the track as I want it, I have got room to add a bit of worktop to have run off points around first bend, so next thing to order some foam board and start looking a little more seriously at the scenic side of things as well as backdrop options. There will be more scenery around the first two parts of the course but not so much where the track is crammed in under the shelving

The track averages out at 23 meters per lane, currently using Arc Air power controls but that may change.

Font Line Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Art

Train Track Toy Railway Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
When I tidy up,one spot is great another has all the stuff dumped in it that came from the tidy bit

21 - 40 of 42 Posts