SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and gals,

Having been back into slot racing for 5 years now, and having contemplated and started a couple of previous tracks but never got to finish them, I now have the time - the energy and most importantly a decent space to build a track. I have also been inspired by many people on here and oldslotracer.com.

So, here are a few pics of where I have got to at the moment, the loft is 3/4's boarded (it should be finished next weekend) then I can start insulating the roof/boarding/and plaster boarding the end walls to make it a nice space.
My sparky mate Jerry came round just after the pics were taken so now the tubes run the length of the loft instead of along a rafter and I now have a proper power feed.

all of this is now in the eves

this collection of bits is mainly 11 suitcases, yes 11, why do 2 people need 11 suitcases ?? if anyone wants a suitcase.........

At some point I will scan in a plan of the room and if you want you can help me decide the layout of the track

I'm sure there will be questions ahead, I do have Luf's how to build a routed slot track DVD

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Good old Jerry - he was poorly too

Don't forget the chairs Dave - saves knees.

Pinewoods banking will be a squeeze ...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
QUOTE I do have Luf's how to build a routed slot track DVD
Then it will be a fine track indeed!
I haven't seen many lofts (we're lucky enough to have 2 car garages and convincable wives down here!!!) but it looks like a nice, dry, warm space you're making for yourself Dave.
How will the loft ladder affect racing? Looks like it'll be sitting right in the middle of the floor!

Cheers,
Dick

·
Dave Capelen
2,773 Posts
Hi Dave

QUOTE this collection of bits is mainly 11 suitcases, yes 11, why do 2 people need 11 suitcases ?? if anyone wants a suitcase.........

I have just the 7, for only little old me...! Is it a collecting thing common to slot enthusiasts

Seriously though, really great to see the good progress in your loft towards a dedicated slotting space.

I'm at a similar stage, part floored, part electrics in, part radiator pipes in, hatch-hole for stairs cut out in garage ceiling. This was it before I started.

I'll be posting images of progress on my own track thread tomorrow (see link in my signature).

Looking forward to watching the updates.

Cheers
Dave

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. The floor is now fully boarded and my good lady and I have spent Saturday clearing and putting more stuff in the eves, we rnow down to 5 suitcases and the centre part is now virtally clear. The ladders sit about 2 feet into the loft space and I have to work that into the design.

I have had a thought about the scenery, as I work for an airline I thought I'd make an airfield, although how that works with elevations I haven't worked out yet ;-))

thanks
Dave

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Dave,
I'm another one with a loft conversion thread on the go...(see link in signature)
It's amazing just how much difference the insulation can make to a space. That and a lick of paint.
Take loads of photos as you do the work, as there's nothing like looking back on how much you've done.
Good luck with it... I'll be watching this one with interest.
Richard
(5 suitcases)

·
Registered
899 Posts
just wondering how cold it will get against the underside of the roof. Bit different where I'm from. That roof would stay too hot to touch well into the evening. Also noticed how close your trusses are together, maybe for the weight of the snow.

Also wondering if your going to have a record for the amount of trusses one can hit with ones head whilst retrieving a de-slotted car WITH and WITHOUT getting knocked out. I reckon you could hit about 3 tops before starting to get a bit woozy, but not 4 surely... of course I'm not taking into account the thickness of the English skull. Perhaps again , the reason for the close trusses if your gonna start incidentily knocking out the webbing while rushing about...

Just wondering !

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think an air field would be great
. Get some nice scenery like air crafts and stuff

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
latest set of pics, i need your help and advice, in the first pic - it shows the white board I have bought to board up to the rafters and to hold the insulation in place, but it is quite flimsy and i'm not sure how it looks and if I should change to plasterboard all over, the white board I have put up so far is about 5mm thick and could do the job, but.......

These boards used to form the the floor in the old days, they are about 10mm ply, again, too flexible to stand on !!
Nice bit of recycling to use them to cover the eaves, and we have almost all our stuff in the eaves now too, and all the suitcases have gone barring 5

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tips needed please gents/ladies, i've finished plasterboarding all the walls, rubbed down and painted, i've also carpeted the whole loft with some carpet we had left over from the rest of the house being done.
So i'm at a stage now to start building the base, I have the wood, just need to put it together now

My question is, i'm using Ninco track - should i put some felt or other material between the base and the track ??
I'm thinking it may allow the cars to run quieter ???

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Couldn't hurt. Plus it'd protect you from any shorts through poorly sunken nails or whatever.

I've got non-slip rubber(ish) matting in some places under ine. Not sure how much effect it really has in sound deadening, but well... Like I said, can't hurt.

Embs

·
Tel
4,034 Posts
Looks at subtitle, looks at last pictures, wonders what happened to the router

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes, well spotted
we as a club (Pinewood) are competing in more plastic track events this year (Ninco World Cup/Wolves 24hr/Verbano 24 hr) and so to get more experience racing on the surface I decided to switch tack and go for a plastic track at home.
How many years it lasts is another matter - as i'm sure at some stage I will want to route !

It also allows me - after all the effort to get the room ship shape - to get racing sooner rather than later, as I already have all the Ninco track I need, also once I have recovered from plasterboarding etc i'm sure I'll want another project to build

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to Steve Hills, who has created a power section of track for my Ninco track, I should be able to take my first laps tonight on the track

I have loads of pictures to load but at the moment am more excited about running cars for the first time, some time soon i'll upload and post.

·
Dave Cummings
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I did about 150 laps the other night and it is a very quick track with different lengths of straight and corner which makes it interesting. For access to the part of the track near the chimney breast, i'm going to change the layout a bit, so i'm glad i've gone plastic at the moment, coz if I had routed i'd be stuck now, so now I have had to buy some extra standard curves to get me to where I want to be, and some more wood for extra legs and I need to go back and make some supports the tables at some point, but it was great to run some cars at home at last

1 - 20 of 83 Posts