SlotForum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 29 Dec 2011, 18:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>not being anal about whether or not a car has the right stickers.

Apart from the national Nascar class, which only insists on factory colour schemes because there are so many, that is not where the focus is. It is more about the cars looking good, by whatever means. Missing wings don't fit that, so if there are ways to help people keep them on that has to be a good thing. Personally I think the answer lies in using the bodies less likely to lose the wings in the first place, especially as these are probably the best racing bodies as well.

Wings and other bits breaking off has always been an issue, always will be, and even more so with older bodies (as LeeH says). It is what you do about it that counts.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Deane, I knew you'd bite

If you've got a supply of G+ F1 bodies apart from Ferraris and Mclarens could you share it with the rest of us.

I agree the other bodies are better to race and more crash proof, but they're hardly common.
Mine, which had previously broke on the spoiler support, broke right across the rear of the body, it's going to need some serious bracing to be usable again, it's a horrible handling body though.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bite what? I guess I just get a bit tired of a national rule which says you must run one of hundreds of bodies, all of which fit with no modification, being described thus. Again.

I have some of the McLarens, indeed, but I am not going to let them go if they can't be braced and end up running around wingless.

As for the other bodies being scarce, indeed, but people will source them. It is one of the bugbears of running what you do. I suggest you look at getting copies made.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Dec 2011, 18:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess I just get a bit tired of a national rule which says you must run one of hundreds of bodies, all of which fit with no modification, being described thus.

A so called national rule, that is made up by you for a race series that runs in East Anglia, Kent, Worthing and Wiltshire, how can something be national that doesn't have any rounds north of the Wash? You seem to think you have some right to critcise other people's racing yet will accept no mild criticism of your own rules.

I suggest if you can't take a bit of mild winding up then you stop trying to wind other people up, the fact is I don't really care about EAHORC rules as they don't effect me.

LeeH, welcome to the wonderful world of HO racing in the UK, it's always a bit snippy.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Right my turn,

Tony the comment about "people's comments of those there carries more weight" no real need to spell it out as we all know that.

But in fairness to the above Deane, your saying about the video of the cars (look at the trouble you caused LeeT, only joking) from an a event you were not envited too. You go onto every clubs forum page and comment on all them giving your opinion on the way there clubs are running what happening etc and my question is why? There is a couple of clubs that come to mind that have nothing to do with eahorc but yet you try and get involved with them. Every club has it strength and every it's weakness, eahorc weakness with out any doubt is exactly what Julian says, you make the rules, you completely run it. Surely a proper national championship a) should go all over the country and
if all clubs apart from a few are represented in the championship those clubs should have a say how it run as there names are attached. Until this happens HO racing won't go any further fact.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm not attacking eahorc I want as I'm sure everyone does it to be the best series it can be and kudos to Deane for what he has achieved with the series but this has got to stop the battering given to all other series. I will say it out loud and don't care who doesn't like it between Deane, Tony and guys at chorc and DHORC all need heads banging together and get it sorted because it is ruining the enjoyment of HO racing for people who just want to race. Until everyone pulls in same direction nothing going to change.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Lee - If you go to any of the HO races you will have a good time racing. I enjoy my monthly club and EAHORC races and my two appearances at the 24 hour have been awesome.

To force all these to "pull in the same direction" or be run by a committee and I think we would lose some of the character that makes the UK HO scene so much fun.

This banter on the forums is just that - banter. It's very much secondary to the racing. I find it quite entertaining at times. Just so long as we remember to stay cool

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 29 Dec 2011, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I will say it out loud and don't care who doesn't like it between Deane, Tony and guys at chorc and DHORC all need heads banging together

Marvelous Tony and deane get a mention whereas the others are chorc and DHORC
I certainly see some favouritism there between the southerners and northerners

QUOTE (LeeH @ 29 Dec 2011, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Until everyone pulls in same direction nothing going to change.

And who's direction is that, with so many differing personalities there's never going to be every club pulling in the same direction, we all do our own thing the way the majority of our club members want, and enjoy our racing, we don't have to all run the same rules as each other do we?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Sorry guys will make myself clearer the national championship should have every clubs involvement and imput each club does as it wishes at there meetings etc but surely a national championship should give all clubs input.

And some people may not like this but yes a committee should be headed by Deane. People who have a complete go at him are wrong. Yes he opinionated, yes he firey, yes he passionate. Look what he has done for HO racing being the first to put a national championship together. Did anyone else? No. Getting as many people involved as he has as well. Including myself it it wasn't thanks to Deane I would still know nothing of HO.

Yes stuff may have been said in the past that has upset or offended some people but isn't it about time that everyone worked together to run a full nation wide championship?? Maybe just me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (DERBY (UK) HO RACING CLUB @ 29 Dec 2011, 22:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good luck Lee.

Now watch the abuse as I have commented and then you will realise, the blue touch paper is now lit.........

Happy New Year

Cheers
Nick

I take it you're not up for the idea of a national then

1,488 Posts
Absolutely am, we would love to race against others as we do at Le Mans, we were running HO Nationals in Derby in the late 80's, long before DHORC started in 1992, alongside CHORC, Stourbridge, Woodgreen etc etc.

A pity we can't at the moment, for the same reason as CHORC, one day it will change then we will be back

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Obviously banging my head against a brick wall so will just stick to racing and leave handbag fights to others.

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 29 Dec 2011, 23:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Obviously banging my head against a brick wall so will just stick to racing and leave handbag fights to others.

That's the best way, this same topic has been gone over dozens of times and nothing ever gets resolved, CHORC and DHORC will not hold Deane's Nationals for reasons going back many years, and there's many people who see this the fault of the two clubs and others who see it as Deane's, one thing for certain is that few of us really no what it's all about, we hear one story then another from the other side. It would be nice if it got resolved but too many people are too set in their ways.

There's just too many people pulling in different directions, even CHORC and DHORC, less that 20 miles apart but how often do they race together? Maybe they should pull together and put on some "Northern Nationals" and get more people interested around here

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Northern nationals would be funny, setting aside stretching the word northern way past breaking point
- They have not happened yet, so if they did now that would be very curious. A positive if along the way new people raced, but curious nonetheless.

The problem at hand can best be summed up by post #12. Any attempt to discuss the flaws and problems in HO racing in this country always end up being viewed by Nick as 'abuse'. That is a pretty strong term. Others call anything other than platitude spreading 'snippy', 'contentious', 'stirring' etc. Paul R touches on the disparate attitudes out there, so it stands to reason that for them to come together there has to be some straight talking. Nick implies his club will only come back to the national scene once I am out of it, which I think is very sad. Not least because there will be others who will dare to say 'Hey Nick, how about trying this, why don't your club do that' etc.

The nationals (I will come back to that term later, since it raised comment) actually could bind the clubs together very easily. If one looks at 1/32nd scales you will see clubs with rules far more dissonant than anything that ones sees in HO, and people who have had fallings out, that host rounds of championships. They set aside their rules and procedures for the day/weekend, and their differences, and just race. For all the HO clubs to be hosting a round of the current national series involves 2 phone calls (one from CHORC, one from DHORC) and a 2/3 minute conversation during each, and it's done.

Clearly then the problem is me, not rules. Or is it? As anyone who has attended a national will attest on race day I am focused on race control and enjoying the day, there is no politics, I don't get into discussions about rules past, present or future, I just try and crack on with the races, call gaps and have a laugh where possible. The 'other stuff' happens on forums, where we all have the luxury of ignoring what is said, or debating with our blood pressure at normal levels. I have had a fair bit of provocative stuff said to me on forums and emails, but can honestly say my blood pressure hardly ever rises even a little bit. My dig back at Julian, for which I apologize, was atypical of me. That all being the case then the obstacles preventing all the clubs being part of one series are mostly about pride and ego. If we all just focused on racing, and kept the other stuff in perspective, it could happen as soon as Jan 15th. No banging of any heads needed Lee

In many ways we are in something of a golden age of HO here. There has never been a wider range of chassis being used on any given month, nor as many people racing them, and the guys/gals doing so are about as eclectic as one could wish for. I have played a part in that. I was especially pleased to see all 8 clubs affiliated to eahorc scoring points at the last round, it shows I have not only helped build up the longest sustained and cohesive attempt at a national series with mass appeal, but I have sown seeds at grass level from which we all benefit. The two clubs outside of all that are therefore missing out on that age, both have drivers will talent I would kill for, in their shoes I would be absolutely itching to test myself against Martin Hill, Andy Whorton etc.

As for the legitimacy of using the word 'nationals' to describe the EAHORC series, I suppose one could knock that even if there were rounds in the home town of both Jenson Button and Oliver Turvey, but I have never been one to think small. Back when EAHORC was just EHORC the E stood for Essex, since it was obvious to me there was unlikely to be more than the one any time soon. Calling the club BHORC (it was in Billericay) seemed unnecessarily unambitious to me. The EA part then went on to stand for East Anglia when a venue in Bury-St-Edmunds was added, before taking on the current name. Thinking bigger meant therefore consistency in the name, and using the shorthand of nationals for what we do now seems natural and harmless too.

As for EAHORC Nascar, which I really should not of got tetchy about, it is an example of aesthetics mattering more to me than the rest of you. Nobody seems to wonder why that is, they just assume I am an oddball. It was not that long ago that things like the Pancake Cup and DHORC 4hr as a club vs club meeting would not of been possible, there simply would not of been enough people or clubs to do it. Rightly or wrongly, when we reached a situation where a small sub-set of the national guys in pre-eahorc days and in it's early days wanted to race only one chassis, and only against those who felt the same, Doug from CHORC set himself as the sanctuary for that. This left me with just enough people to carry on, but an incandescent desire not to let a split that I thought was petty and extremely unnecessary kill off the racing for them. This is where the aesthetics came in, if things were to keep going then anything that would help HO's appeal had to be embraced, and whatever anyone thinks now, good looking cars did, as part of a wider package of measures. I expended a lot of time and energy finding people to keep things going, and built it's appeal around what would do so.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.