Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For two or three years I've been amazed at how awful slotcar industries and retailers have been at capturing Christmas as a pretty useful time to sell stuff while making a few kids - and adults - happy people on Christmas Day.

Three questions:

Why don't slotcar manufacturers release cars that people are likely to want to buy through the month before Christmas so that people will buy them as gifts?

Why don't slotcar retailers have a few pre-Christmas sales to get rid of old stock so people can buy these as gifts?

Basically, as every other industry is going crazy stepping up to Christmas, why is the whole slotcar world so sluggish this time of year?

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I totally agree, I can't remember where is saw the latest release date for Scalextric but it looked as if the cars were waiting for would either not be out till next year or delivered to the retailer on the 19th dec, so NO chance of them getting in santas present sack for Christmas day - poor show!!!

Scalextric are not alone, carrera still have the best cars of the 2011 line up to be released, two of which in are sure not to be available till 2012, also just found out several ther cars by other makers will fall into the same situation :-(

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I know I'm going to be wasting my time mentioning real world factors, but it's not always the company at fault. Release dates tend to change due to production timetables. And where are most slot car and toys produced currently?????

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Embs,

I appreciate this, however this is not the 1st year this has happened and it's not as if December the 25th doesn't happen the same time every year lol.

Ah well, not much we can do but buy what's already available, either that or buy the Xbox games that are released on time (Forza 4 cough cough)

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 3 Dec 2011, 07:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it's not as if December the 25th doesn't happen the same time every year lol.

Yes, but remember that as we all get older it comes around quicker every year.

Maybe it suits them to have the stuff we are eagerly anticipating come out in jan/feb to boost sales in the post Xmas slump?
Cheers
Richard

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 3 Dec 2011, 05:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why don't slotcar manufacturers release cars that people are likely to want to buy through the month before Christmas so that people will buy them as gifts?

Basically, as every other industry is going crazy stepping up to Christmas, why is the whole slotcar world so sluggish this time of year?
I can't give you a direct answer to this, but I can give a point of view as a Scalextric dealer.
The answer I would give is 'because it's Hornby/Scalextric'.
They do it every Christmas and every time there is some sort of promotion - James May springs to mind.
One year, our old rep proudly said just before Christmas "our warehouse is empty".
"Thats great" we said, "so we can't order anything then?!". "Oh, I suppose not" he said.

QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 3 Dec 2011, 11:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe it suits them to have the stuff we are eagerly anticipating come out in jan/feb to boost sales in the post Xmas slump?
It won't really happen.
Hornby/Scalextric will generally get nothing out in January, and you'll be lucky to see much in February either.
Stock reserves run out in November/December, so by the time production is re-scheduled and re-starts in China, you can be waiting months for some things.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
And you know the worst thing? The smaller Scalextric stockists (those that don't sell enough to buy from Hornby direct) haven't been able to buy straight lane changers from the wholesaler since September 2011 and the wholesaler apparently has no idea when Hornby will be shipping the next batch.

What's the first thing you want to buy after playing with your standard digital set for 5 minutes? More lane changers.

What idiots.

It would appear slot cars are enjoying a bit of a renaissance DESPITE the manufacturers, not because of them!

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 6 Dec 2011, 09:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The smaller Scalextric stockists (those that don't sell enough to buy from Hornby direct) haven't been able to buy straight lane changers from the wholesaler since September 2011 and the wholesaler apparently has no idea when Hornby will be shipping the next batch.
Whilst I'm not defending Hornby, thats an issue with the shops you're talking abouts 'wholesaler'.
Hornby have them in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts