SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here are the Classic Industries Slot Cars of the 60s .
Back row (left to right ) - Stinger , Stinger II , Manta Ray , Manta Ray ( Outlaw) and Viper .
Front Row (left to right) - Competition Asp , Asp , Astro-V , Gamma Ray and Serpent .

The only one missing is the Stinger Roadster , I have a body somewhere , but was it
classified as a true Thingie ? Classic Industries at the time , sure came up with some
brilliant designs , and their cars are still in high demand today ! Zig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have the thingie bug pretty bad Spurman. That Stinger was my first ride in 1966 or 67'. Found a Roadster that is to be brought back to former glory as it has some age, as have I. What is the best way to deal with the crazing or yellowing of the body.Does the compound for plastic light covers on your car with a vari speed dremel help or is that certain Fubar for this great slot. Shure this is not the right thread for such a question but it is a classic and I hope I can be forgiven. I have 30 or 40 thingies much like yours and the Roadster is the most cherished of the stable. It deserves better than the Mantle rookie cards stuffed in the spokes of my sting-ray. I have stripped the paint with good results with pine-sol. But the fog and pitting has me wondering the absolute best way to proceed. Any help may save a Roadster. Will post my progress.If I can fig. out how to upload pics.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Skid Marks - and welcome ! There are 2 guys that are far more qualified to answer your questions --- Jairus and Ray ! Hope they see your post and add their input . I do paint bodies as well - but have very little to do with refurbishing older butirate bodies , and I don't want to steer you on the wrong path ! Zig

·
R.E.F.
1,672 Posts

Great collection of Classic's Zig, I see your missing the Tornado ?

As for Skid Marks problem? Why did you strip the paint ? I would have just cleaned it up with warm water & dawn dish soap. You could try this to see if it cleans up the yellowing? Use a napkin in water and littlely clean surface & dry with non-abresive cloth. The pitting of the plastic, how much & where? You might be out of luck. You might have to fine a repop?

i-ray

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ray --- thanks for assisting Skid marks !

I didn't bother to collect the Tornado , as it is not considered a Thingie , and based on a production car ! Zig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Ray, followed your topics on SF for sometime with much respect. Was hoping your reply would not include the words "out of luck". To your question of why not just clean with soap and water and non abrasive, I fought with this for over a year and I will do my best to explain my crazed and pitted thinging
. Of the many Classics, BZ . Testor thingies I have amassed over the years most are of the VG to mint variety. Then there is the roadster
Straight chassis , dry checked foamies, and a body that was painted with loving care by an impatient 9 year old with a 5 in. deck brush and finished with a bastard file. There are as many beliefs or philosophies as their are people in this hobby. For me I like the org. pristine look and I wish to still run or play with them. I reside in Iowa and the last 2 commercial slot tracks have closed
This leaves me with the restoration part of my personal quest. I have all the skills of a 9 yr. old armed with a bastard file a little time and a great love for period "thingies". I have read the forum blog and know I am not alone. Epic builds, how to true tires, tumble brass chassis with amazing results, how to pull vintage motors apart and build a better mouse trap. Covers about all aspects of bringing a 60's slot back to its former glory. It can be done. But the body??? Ray, your a titan,have I have committed a slotting sin by stripping the body? Is there a re pop of the classic roadster? I have not seen one. And, I would consider the sacrifice of mine to make it happen for others. But, again I do not know if the condition of mine would make this all for not. Are there any "agents" left in the great "Thingie Kingdom" ? This is a call for help to the best and respected humans in the slot world. I believe this is a part of vintage thingies that deserves best. And I will do my part to respect any help. Dave

·
R.E.F.
1,672 Posts
QUOTE (Skid Marks @ 9 Jul 2012, 11:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Ray, followed your topics on SF for sometime with much respect. Was hoping your reply would not include the words "out of luck". To your question of why not just clean with soap and water and non abrasive, I fought with this for over a year and I will do my best to explain my crazed and pitted thinging
. Of the many Classics, BZ . Testor thingies I have amassed over the years most are of the VG to mint variety. Then there is the roadster
Straight chassis , dry checked foamies, and a body that was painted with loving care by an impatient 9 year old with a 5 in. deck brush and finished with a bastard file. There are as many beliefs or philosophies as their are people in this hobby. For me I like the org. pristine look and I wish to still run or play with them. I reside in Iowa and the last 2 commercial slot tracks have closed
This leaves me with the restoration part of my personal quest. I have all the skills of a 9 yr. old armed with a bastard file a little time and a great love for period "thingies". I have read the forum blog and know I am not alone. Epic builds, how to true tires, tumble brass chassis with amazing results, how to pull vintage motors apart and build a better mouse trap. Covers about all aspects of bringing a 60's slot back to its former glory. It can be done. But the body??? Ray, your a titan,have I have committed a slotting sin by stripping the body? Is there a re pop of the classic roadster? I have not seen one. And, I would consider the sacrifice of mine to make it happen for others. But, again I do not know if the condition of mine would make this all for not. Are there any "agents" left in the great "Thingie Kingdom" ? This is a call for help to the best and respected humans in the slot world. I believe this is a part of vintage thingies that deserves best. And I will do my part to respect any help. Dave

HI Skid Marks,

Yes ! there is a couple repoppes out there. I have apic of a couple of mine- the one on the left is a wider version, the one on the right is like the one I have with the roof openned,(could fined a body to use in this pic sorry) I didn't not have and original to copy at the time of these 2 moldings. So, I winged it lol. On the other hand, Gene/ZR1 has a repop done from and original- pretty nice too! We havn't heard from him lately though- a bussy man. If you want ? I could make a original copy if you send your body to me I would mold it and return it to you with a repop & original body, ( condition of your body won't matter, I'll do my thing and bring it back to life). Just PM me for my address if your interested. Also, if you have any other thingie you want repopped ? send them too..As for the other stuff, it's a learn experience for all.

I know people are driing to see your collection, if you can do pic's and post them here, the drools will be out in force

Viva the Revolution !!

Go-Noda.com

i-ray

·
R.E.F.
1,672 Posts
Skid marks,

If you go to the next page of threads, go to where Gene is discussing a vacuum system, you will see his mold copy of the Stinger- nice. Check it out

I was checking it out for his vac set-up, I plan on up-grading to that kind of system soon.

i-ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I try to insert image I am asked for a url. Is this to the image I would like to upload that is on my computer? I don't understand the process of this. Anyone tired of hand holding. I have a hard enough time finding the pics that our mine. My wife owns this area.

Yes, Ray I will get with you and send roadster Via USPS.Do your majic . Would still like to know if there is any merit in polishing the surface with care that would add to the luster of repaint. I have read on forum that 400 grit is used for adhesion purposes my guess.But the benefit may extend returning vintage butyrate back to former glory.

The Classic stinger was my first ride. The Waveland track was the place back in the day. 1966-67. Des Moines Iowa. Slots were everywhere even central Iowa. If you went to that location on the corner of Polk Blv and University walked in, take a deep breath you could still smell the dog rockets the local boys huffed on, mixed with wintergreen. The competitive atmosphere was as thick as the smoke. I was 9 And my bright new Stinger going fffffaaaap fffffaappp around the track made me a target much like the guy in the cage cart at the driving range.These are good memories Ray.

The Stinger has a low center, great lines and the Air foil brake action takes things over the top.[/center]But all in all the Roadster would be my choice if I was to send something to the thingie proxy. Or an MDC Bat. Yes, I have a thing for thingies that legends are made of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Don.

I will work on classics for my thingie friends to oogle
. A few are not ready for the stage yet. I can do this
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have not forgotten. I am sending Classic Roadster to Ray for a pop. Moving home and work 60 miles south and will post thingies. They should be shared.

·
Registered
23 Posts

This is the stripped roadster that has been sent to Ray for re-pop. And hope to bring back to former glory the 45yr old body like the coupe. A project upon return.

This will look like a repeat of spurmans so I with focus on the roadster and it rebirth. Its my personnel all time favorite as it has many small differences in body and chassis.
Its the same but different

No, he is not headless just not in the pic.

Some of the boys.

Thanks, Ray

·
R.E.F.
1,672 Posts
Hey Skidmark,

Pic's look great
The Stinger conv. will make a great repop plus the interior super !! I got to get my Stinger flipper done so I can paint up a bunch of paint schemes !! Got to love those Classic cars !!
Keep on posting my friend

·
Registered
23 Posts

Prefer the green to classic orange.

The astro V needs some clean up an light cosmetic.

Never understood why classic would put ribbon thin foamies on the stinger.Guess with the RTR's ...
if it fits it ships. Seems if you do find a good pair of orange classic's get out the pocket book.Have a few pairs going to try to revive. The roadster has the same O-ring fronts as the serpent this is nice, but again it seems that classic had the tooling to do some nice stuff, 6 spoke rears are sharp,
and they lost an opportunity to add some bling. Form and function.

Will share with all, that Ray informed me that the Roaster arrived and he will do his magic. I also requested sunburst paint job java script:add_smilie(":wub:","smid_14")

Need to thank Spurman for the Classic thingie revival.

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Sweet cars,

I have that Manta Ray in that color in 1:32 thanks to Zig aka Spurman.

Been hunting a Stinger chassis for a while now,
one day...one day

Same goes for the complete Astro V but i get outbid every time

(when my budget allows me to bid)

·
Registered
228 Posts
QUOTE (JaakBeentjes @ 12 Sep 2012, 16:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sweet cars,

I have that Manta Ray in that color in 1:32 thanks to Zig aka Spurman.

1/32?!? I never knew it was made in 1/32! Anyone have pictures?

Thanks,
Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Think, Jacks 1/32 beauty is something Spurman whittled, but they might answer that better and I saw pics on one of Jacks threads {very cool} of the 1/32 that got a riggen 1/32 chassis. Just another great example of what the some of the lads can do.Its like if you can imagine it it can happen! My self,I am awaiting a re-pop of my favorite of the classics, "Stinger Roaster"
and will post the progress of restoration of the orig. and pics of the repop. I asked ray to give it one of his trademark sunburst paint jobs

Jack:I could be persuaded to trade you for a "Serpent" chassis. Have a chassis that the wing works
, but as usual the foamies are dry and checked. Why did Classic have those beautiful 6 spoke wheels with nice foamies but thinner than a open wheel
front????

·
R.E.F.
1,672 Posts
A Serpent chassis ???? I'll trade if Jaak doesn't

And Yes ! I do make a classic 1/32 manta ray too
I'll post some pic's.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts