1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Font Urban design Art Recreation
Automotive tire Asphalt Recreation Racing Motorsport
Boat Rectangle Vehicle Bumper Urban design

The Corkscrew is famous in the world of motorsport. It’s a challenging left-right turn that drops dramatically as you’re turning. I have scaled it down to a Radius 2 (R2) left hander and a Radius 3 (R3) right hander.

You can see it in action on YouTube here. here (22sec).

You can download the stl files, for the price of a cup of coffee, and print your own here.

Thanks for having a look.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
I loathe and despise 3d-printed tomfoolery (especially Shapeways' postage costs :rolleyes:).

I love the cork' in Gran Turismo.

I applaud what you have done here. (y)

• Haha
Reactions: MrFlippant

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
View attachment 309139 View attachment 309140 View attachment 309141
The Corkscrew is famous in the world of motorsport. It’s a challenging left-right turn that drops dramatically as you’re turning. I have scaled it down to a Radius 2 (R2) left hander and a Radius 3 (R3) right hander.

You can see it in action on YouTube here. here (22sec).

You can download the stl files, for the price of a cup of coffee, and print your own here.

Thanks for having a look.
Would be great if you could do something similar with Policar track size mate, that would be a nice piece of track to any slot car circuit.
Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevan. Well spotted, sir! It is the Prusa i3 that did the printing of the track pieces.

GDSLOT. I'm hoping someone takes up your challenge. I'd love to do the design - prefer not to do the print/assembly/test part. I could possibly have time come Christmas holidays season.

I should mention that not all of my slot cars can negotiate the corkscrew. The problem is the inside lane of the R2 left turn. My modern Nascars (strong rear magnets and low ride height) shoot straight on rather than turn. My Slot-it Porsche 956/962s can slither around on their bellies and make it - when you get the speed right. Half of my cars are magless or have weak rear magnets - they're fine. My V8 Supercars have mid-magnets - they're fine. I have two apparently identical IROC Camaros - one is no problem and the other misses every time! One is blue and the other is red so maybe that's the reason.🧐

BTW there's steel wires under the copper tape rails, so the magnets are attracted to that.

The design files on Cults3D have a MAG option (grooves for wires) and a MAGLESS option (no grooves).

·
Gary Skipp
6,691 Posts
Do you have any cars with drop arms? Old NSRs, or rally cars? How about Ninco sprung guides? Be interested if their course is aided with these features.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any cars with drop arms or sprung guides. I imagine they would help the car negotiate the tight dropping turn. The reason some of my rear magnet cars miss the turn is because the magnet holds the car to the track at the rear and the guide blade is lifted out of the slot at the front.

While I'm talking I'll mention that the driving experience is different to any thing I've experienced before because you really do get a sense of entering the corner and having to give gravity time to do its thing. Then the car rushes down the slope due to gravity more than any throttle input. Then you power away from the corner.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I don't have any cars with drop arms or sprung guides. I imagine they would help the car negotiate the tight dropping turn. The reason some of my rear magnet cars miss the turn is because the magnet holds the car to the track at the rear and the guide blade is lifted out of the slot at the front.

While I'm talking I'll mention that the driving experience is different to any thing I've experienced before because you really do get a sense of entering the corner and having to give gravity time to do its thing. Then the car rushes down the slope due to gravity more than any throttle input. Then you power away from the corner.
Maybe if you make the slope less “raw” it would allow all cars go magless, keep in mind that even a slight slope will make any corner a challenge, we’re talking about 1:32 scale so a slope that is 5-10° is a challenge ok into own😉

Take a look at the old Ninco raid tracks, they may have very small jumps but if you run a car at full throttle on a straight, it will end up in pieces rolling on its owns body in a way that only kids love (because they don’t pay for it) 😅

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GDSLOT: My first attempt at modelling the Corkscrew was using 2 x R4 radius bends dropping 120mm. Every car could negotiate it, but it sure didn’t resemble the Corkscrew – not dramatic enough. I’m resigned to having a recognisable Corkscrew and having to compromise on which cars can manage it.

Kevan: I’ve tried a few cars going uphill. Same as going down, some go up no problem and some don’t.

Speaking of opposites, the 2 track pieces can be taken apart and put back together to make a mirror version of the Corkscrew. This video (3:11) shows the track joining system of the Corkscrew.

Speaking of versatility, the R3 piece of the Corkscrew is basically a banked curve with a 60 degree sweep and a 25 degree banking angle. If you make 3 of them you’ve got a 180 degree banked corner, like this:

Sky Art Fashion accessory Drawing Font

·
Registered
26 Posts
GDSLOT: My first attempt at modelling the Corkscrew was using 2 x R4 radius bends dropping 120mm. Every car could negotiate it, but it sure didn’t resemble the Corkscrew – not dramatic enough. I’m resigned to having a recognisable Corkscrew and having to compromise on which cars can manage it.

Kevan: I’ve tried a few cars going uphill. Same as going down, some go up no problem and some don’t.

Speaking of opposites, the 2 track pieces can be taken apart and put back together to make a mirror version of the Corkscrew. This video (3:11) shows the track joining system of the Corkscrew.

Speaking of versatility, the R3 piece of the Corkscrew is basically a banked curve with a 60 degree sweep and a 25 degree banking angle. If you make 3 of them you’ve got a 180 degree banked corner, like this:

View attachment 309254
Just an awesome piece. Thank you for doing this. I wish they were available as a standard piece. Love the integrated borders which is what is wrong about standard Scalextric R2 and R3 banked turns, no borders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts