SlotForum banner
101 - 120 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
D-Type just about finished apart from glue and numerals needing time to dry. Naturally, the red numerals look weird because Dr Sodt ensured that they broke up when I pulled them out of the water. Ne'er mind. At least the rest of the car hasn't broken up - yet
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Toy
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Tire Wheel Car Cloud Vehicle

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,844 Posts
85.7mm...that's the wheelbase I need for my chassis. I thought the Betta bodyshell one had wheelbase that wouldn't comfortably fit this 1939 D type and that's because the '39 had a shorter WB. Thankfully the chassis I've printed is dead easy to take 1mm off.
Bodyshell is currently primed sans inevitable fingerprint, silver coat tomorrow.
I'll fit the zorst pipes afterwards.
Yours looks good Trisha.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Thanks, Kevan. I've enjoyed putting this D-Type together so much that I wouldn't be averse to doing another but, with a more powerful motor. I also hope that all you other chaps will start building your cars soon, and chart your progress in this thread.

All contributions are always fun, interesting and welcome, so my grateful thanks to everyone.

Below, Auto-Unions from the prototype through A-to-D Types.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Art paint Motor vehicle Vehicle Paint

·
Registered
988 Posts
After seeing these pictures I thought I have something that looks like that. Had a look around and found this it's only a test print so it's rough but I think it's the same. From memory I think it is one of NIMROD'S 3D files of a series of prewar gran prix car's he did a couple of years ago , must get back to them again, great era of racing.
Cheers,
John.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring Gas
Wood Tool Composite material Plastic Hardwood

Attachments

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,844 Posts
After seeing these pictures I thought I have something that looks like that. Had a look around and found this it's only a test print so it's rough but I think it's the same. From memory I think it is one of NIMROD'S 3D files of a series of prewar gran prix car's he did a couple of years ago , must get back to them again, great era of racing.
Cheers,
John. View attachment 313898 View attachment 313899
Yeah that's a C-type

Reactions: rastas

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Yes, indeed there is, Paul. Just thought I'd mention it here, though, because of its D-Type 'pedigree.' I also hope the pics inspire others to build, or think about building, their own slot versions.

It's also most encouraging that so many people continue to take interest in cars that raced some 80 years ago.

And thanks to everyone who's contributed, and taken interest in, the subject of this thread.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
a post from several years ago, with my now 17 year old Matchbox build several posts down. Thought people might like to see it again. Built with mostly vintage components:
MRRC steering front end, with linkage to steering wheel to get Tazio's arms furiously working
Tradeship u-joint rear axle to duplicate original's swing arm and radius rod suspension. Tradeship bevel brass gears.
Unique's finned brake drum turned aluminum wheels with Strombecker wire inserts. The Matchbox brake backing plates were incorporated behind them.
Tires by Strombecker and Hubley
Lots of headaches with this one. Upon hearing my outbursts once during the build, my wife came down the stairs and said "you're not having fun anymore!"

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I lazily mooched awf to the Mess after the midday trough today for maiden laps with the D-Type, but quickly noticed a distinct lack of reluctance to perform. In fact it didn't go at all. Forensic-style investigation eventually revealed that one errant strand of copper braid had emigrated across to the other braid thus thwarting the potential for for'ard motion.

Ah well, I've always thought that emigrating is overrated, and this lends credence to the theory.
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,844 Posts
The two wires on the motor tabs look like they're touching the can which will do wonders for electrical short cuts

Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Bernd Rosemeyer in the C-Type at a pitstop which in 1936 usually took a couple of minutes. Under prevailing regs only two mechanics were allowed to work on each car.

It would be interesting to discover how long two of Red Bull's mechanics today would take to jack up a car, knock the wheels off with a hammer, knock fresh wheels on with a hammer, pour fuel and oil in, and listen to the driver talking about other potential probs.

Oh, and for good measure in the case of Merdedes, having to listen to Neubauer shouting and screaming at you to work faster.
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

101 - 120 of 268 Posts