SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi gents id like to make public the fact that i will not be fronting EARLY BIRDS next
year.
Iv decided to hang up my controler after many decads of the hobby.
Over the last couple of years there have been issues, some personal, some
local and national that have brought about this change of heart, each item
not in its self large enough to bring about the change but a case of the sum of the
parts has now become greater than the whole.
Iv had a good run over the years, racing with,and knowing the pioneers of rail,
compeating in the "golden" 60,s, like many i missed the "dark ages" of the
70,s with the green shoots of the 80,/90,s came the Porsche and Slot-it challange
the 00ties saw the resurrection of scale racing, so not a bad run for my money.
Iv spoken to the guys at Wolves regarding EARLY BIRDS, they say they will reveiw
the meeting and decide if or how it will move forward and will post to that effect in
the future.
I wiil of cource look in on SF to see who is doing what to whom and have a smile.
In closing i would like to thank all that supported EB.s you made it what it was,
it has be a privilege knowing and racing with you.
Good luck all.
Mac P

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Mac I would like to say thanks for putting uk retro racing back on the tracks your events have been a pleasure to compete in and I will be sorry to see you retire I will trully miss our little battles over the years .However I hope you will still stay in contact with all your freinds who've had the pleasure of racing with you over the years .

·
re member
4,189 Posts
Mac, I dont know you but I know of you.
I raise my controller to you in salute...a very solid innings,well done, sir.

regards and best wishes

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi Mac. I have only ever spoken to you on the phone and was hoping to meet up with you some time. I would just like to say a 'Big Thank you' for all the help you have given me over the last couple of years.

I do hope you find happiness in what ever / whichever way your life will take you. Thanks again. Mike Presto Park, Norfolk.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Mac..

I am so sorry to hear you are giving up slot car racing after all these years.

Although I have only met you a few times, I found you very friendly, helpfull, very knowledgeable and a great asset to the Wolves club and to all slot car enthusiasts.
I am sure your years of experience and advice will be sadly missed by everyone.

Good luck, and all the best in whatever you do in your retirement.

All the best.. Martin De'Ath.

·
Philip Insull
1,793 Posts
Mac,
My friend you know my feelings from our chats, but I'd publicly like to say thank you for all your help and support over the years mon ami; it won't be the same without you. You know you will always be welcome at Wolves or at Chez Insull and the coffee will always be ready for you
- hopefully I'll still get to see more of you than most through our other shared interest of model boating. (When you finish your ship I still need that duplicate brass mast making for the KGV - you might even shame me into getting it finished). As with most I hope this isn't a farewell to Mac the racer rather a break for a while and that one day you'll find the enthusiasm for slot racing returns, If there is anything I can do to help rekindle the flame just ask and I'll do my best.
Cheers
Phil
For all you E-B supporters I have briefly spoken to Malcolm and the intention is that Wolves club will continue the great event that Mac has so firmly established and we will publish the details and dates for 2012 as soon as they are finalised and we thank you in advance for your continued support.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Blinkin' hell Mac! That was a surprise!

Although we have only met on this one occasion at Early Birds this year, I class you as a good freind who gave me some great tips over the weekend. I really appreciate that you let a testosterone filled 16 year old 'lad' race at your event. I hope to be coming back in 2012, with a little more success!

It would be great if you could come to the 2012 event, even in spectator form.

Can you drop me your email address on a PM please?
Regards
Jon Grainger

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Mac

Little did I realise that when I first met you at a swapmeet when you were launching your PreAdd range of bodyshells all those years ago and we chatted about grand prix cars, scratchbuilding, life and the universe within minutes of meeting that we would become such good friends.

I am sad to hear that you have decided to unplug your controller and retire after such a long time in the hobby but what a great time you have had and you will now have the time to enjoy your other hobby and interests.

Thanks very much for dreaming up Earlybirds in the first place and thereby kick-starting the current retro scene in the UK and thanks for staging the event over the years, it really is the special meeting that my year revolves around.

I hope that we will bump into each other in the future, maybe either at Goodwood or Donington or who knows maybe at a slot race somewhere sometime…

Please don't disappear altogether.

David

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,653 Posts
Hello Mac,

Sad to hear you leaving the slot car scene. We have not met, I discovered you via the Pre-Add bodies and have subsequently followed your considerable contributions to this forum. It is obvious that you have helped a great many other slotters with organising events and providing advice and therefore will be a great loss to the community.
On a personal note I thank you for bringing the Lancia D50 (in its Lancia form) to the 1:32 world.

Kind regards, Leo Capaldi

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Mac.
You leave a great legacy with Early Birds. I am sure Malcolm and all the Wolves guys will look after it well.
I hope your future hobbies bring you as much enjoyment and satisfaction as Slot Racing/Modelling has done over the (many!) years you have been invollved with the hobby.
Best Wishes for the future,
Kind Regards Bill.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for your kind words and best wishes, very much appreciated.
I hope you all have as much fun as i have had in the past.
Now where did i put that ship.???
Very best regards
Mac P

·
Dave Capelen
2,796 Posts
Hi Mac

Sorry to hear you're moving away from the slot cars and going to be taking it a bit easier...!

Or maybe not, if that reference to ships is anything to go by, maybe just a change of tack....

Cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Hi Mac my old buddy
sorry to hear you are hanging up your controller
we have had a good laugh many times over the years that we have raced each other
some of your great comments from your days at North staffs
I was first into that corner and then i ran out of talent
oo! no wonder i can't get through that part of the track it's kinky

all the best you old git
oh! you used to call me the young git now you are retiring does it make me the new old git

Robbo

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Missed this post before as I'm no longer a regular on SF but a quick word to thank Mac for everything you've done for slotracing mate and my own slotracing personally. We wouldn't have such a strong (and globally envied) UK scale racing scene without your Pre-Adds and that idea a few years back to "let's a have race at Wolverhampton for these formula cars of the 30s and 50s".

Coop

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Guys,

Spot on Coops, just what I , and many others, wanted to say, but couldn't quite put it into words !!??.

Mac,

you are a "one-off", you "old Hednesfordian" you, I was up there on us bikes, at the old "res" before it became a stock car haven.

You know where I mean !!.

Years before our paths crossed again in model car racing,

Very Best Regards old friend, Chris A.

·
Kitbasher
4,376 Posts
Just a quick note to add my thanks to Mac.

Early Birds got me firmly back into racing and more importantly building slot cars.

Enjoy the break Mac, you deserve it and hurry back when you get bored with boats

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Best of luck for the future mac and thanks for all your help in the past. I know exactly how you feel about Slot Racing as I have also been looking towards other hobbies recently...

Hope to see you soon.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Hi Mac and all,

I hope you re think your retirement from the slot hobby!!!!

Personally, when I first met you it was a Friday evening about 10 years ago and thought who is this old geezer giving us young blokes a real, real good run for our money. Soon I was told your pedigree and since then had a real good honest friendship (and I hope it will continue) on and off the track.

With regards to being one of the Wolves guys I appreciate the hassle you have had to cope with over the years from awkward entrants questions and total oneupmanship approach you have had to take at some points.

You are correct that small points of arguements and situations do mount up and take their toll eventually, ( I've been close to jacking it in from time to time) but I do hope you make some contribution to the club you have helped establish as one of the best in the country, if not the world. It does say something when guys travel from Greece, Cyprus, Italy, USA, Isle of Man plus most of the UK travel to entry a model car event based on the enthusiasum shown in the SF posts made by your good self.

We now (to finish) have difficulty fitting all the classic events into the annual calender, its partly down to you and other's and long may it continue

All the best Mate

Ian J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts