SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the photos of the Campionato Italiano Classic - Il 3° titolo di Melioli on the Italia Slot website and noticed that the cars had red tyres!!!

Picture courtesy of Italia Slot

I hope that we are not returning to the era of coloured tyres.... it was, in my opinion, the scale realism that was responsible for bringing slot racing out of the doldrums in the early 1990's.....

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
I imagine they are coloured differently so you know they are not cheat tyres and are the tyres you have been issued with for a race.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Some horrible coloured wheels also pictured on the photos....shades of the dreaded You-Steer??

Worst photos are of those blokes heads superimposed onto babies......
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
QUOTE (ironman @ 10 Jun 2011, 19:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I imagine they are coloured differently so you know they are not cheat tyres and are the tyres you have been issued with for a race.

Yep, I think you're right. Parc Ferme not working then?

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Thank Goodness all Scale Proxy Race Rules, (apart from the awful "Thingies") states that all tyres shall be black, and long may it continue.... Will NSR switch to Lexan shells now?....
Sorry guys been there before....the ever increasing "need for speed" and escalating costs killed Slot Racing before, don't let it happen by stealth again..
I can see if it was for a Championship event where tyres were issued by the organisers it makes for easy identification of potential rule breakers, but there are other ways of doing the same thing without making the cars look like jokes.....

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
While I agree with you about colored tires, if you all refuse to realize that slot racing is a dynamic hobby, and many practitioners will always be looking for more speed, then you've got your head stuck in the sand as much as the Thingie-lovers of the 60s...

There's already a very active aftersales market for 1/32 plastic cars, including hollow axles... and to me this is just as crazy as colored tires.

The whole point is finding a balance between realism and the desire for higher performance (and between the fact that it's a hobby, thus individual, yet competitive, thus collective) - and in my opinion, because of this dichotomy, slot racing will always be a cyclical activity.

Don

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Interesting Don.....If by "cyclical" do you mean the hobby has always and will always "progress", (always get faster, more expensive and more non-scale), and will always in the end almost destroy itself as it almost did in the late 60's?...then I agree with you..

Not for me I'm afraid, I'll stick to building my own cars to a specification that suits me, (I like cars that try to look like and run at all different speeds just like their 1:1 counterparts), and not bother to race where these "progressive" things are present.

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Hi Alan,

By cyclical, I was actually referring to the fact that there will always be highs and lows in interest in the hobby, for a number of reasons like the two I mentioned above: the hobby/sport divide and performance.

I don't think there will be a constant search for more performance, among other reasons because we've already seen where this leads! Which is why I find it very curious that there has been a comparable trend in some circles of 1/32 cars - but perhaps that just indicates that in any competitive hobby, people will always be looking for an advantage, one way or another. The trick is to get the right rules and group of people to keep things as balanced as possible - and that ain't easy!

This doesn't just apply to performance either - there's also competition in the Concours arena, leading to such things as photo-etched parts on Vintage cars, way too much detail on a moving car (personal opinion), etc.

Don

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (SSD slotguy @ 10 Jun 2011, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now that's a nice picture!

It's just a web find, but it does demonstrate the point nicely, doesn't it ? Oh, and the Kumho tyres that make that red smoke look like this when they're standing still...

So, there are obvious similarities to the OP's picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts