SlotForum banner

The End of American Muscle Cars

3K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  Steve-E-D 
#1 ·
I pulled up behind one of these yesterday. ‘Nuff said.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#5 ·
  • VERDICT from Car and Driver.
  • The Mustang Mach-E excels at being an electric SUV, but it isn't as exciting as America's first pony car.

Reactions: Sloter
#8 ·
No excitement about this stuff like there was back in 64-70. I confess to being 72 years old and could care less about a car that doesn't run rough and put out emissions. I also realize it is the wave of the future, probably just not mine and my car buddies.

Ever heard a factory Chevelle LS6 idling? A GTX 440 sixpack? That was common stuff for us older gearheads back then. These cars hit you on every level.

#14 ·
Ford is cashing in on an iconic name for sales hype. The Mach-E is not a Mustang. They should really electrify an actual Mustang.

Dodge is vowing to electrify their Challenger platform and set the bar for Electric American Muscle.

I love the sound of a large bore V8 with the secondaries wide open, it is truly magical. After being a Tesla Model S owner for a few years, I know that the future is electric. I still can't get enough of mashing my foot down and launching like a slot car.

#15 ·
Annnnnnnnnn, the Mach E is approximately $50K (usd).

For that you can buy a used Mustang GT and a Crown Victoria to fetch the kids. For less than half of that...

I wonder if they will break even on all that through energy savings before the horrible-to-recycle batteries fail?

#16 ·
If you take the, most acknowledge, definition of a muscle car as a standard production sedan that is then fitted with a tuned big block engine not electric car can meet that description and in most versions the Mustang never really meet that definition either. Pony car yes but Muscle ??

#21 ·
Yep, 1974 to 2004, 30 long years...

Although it was a Pinto (not a whole lot unlike the first falcon based mustang), it did have the 302 V8 as an option.

#27 · (Edited)
Meet you at the Spring Turkey Rod run?! It's only 3000 miles.

Just so the Tesla folks can feel really good inside, that's about three hundred gallons of high test! (for my car, your Pontiac with a Q-jet may do a little better)

I am pretty sure the only electrics there are golf carts.

#29 ·
Electric cars are here for now. They’re a political solution to an engineering problem which is already giving the governments which promote them insoluble problems.

But we’re not going to go back.

Just as was the case 130 years ago, there are many more practical ways to build and power cars than with a battery. Also less polluting (or downright toxic). Same goes for wind farms and solar panels.

But we are where we are. The current thinking is for everyone to be within 15 minutes by bike or bus from everything that they need in life. That way nobody will need a car. But they will need a life worth living and that ain’t it.

It’s as if they’ve never seen The Hunger Games…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.