SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
As most of you know Nascar is going to be something else. I have now found a way to stop thinking about it for several hours at a time, it's called going to sleep

Craig will be trying to thread something of a needle. Dad Paul may well be safe, promotion from Main grade to Prem not beyond doubt but looking likely, but the younger Homewood has both John Ferrigno and Gareth Winslade homing in. They are a fair way back, but have lobbed in big scores the last two meetings and will no doubt have every intention of doing so one further time.

Craig could put things beyond all doubt by making the A final himself, therefore going up through the 'achievements method' (as it gets used for the last time ever). This would see three people going up, four if Paul H makes the A as well. I suspect the time for mathematics and stealth are over, and all four will be simply trying to do the best they can and hoping it shakes out their way.

The club title is, mathematically, still in play, but FLBT should have enough bodies on hand to get it done. WHO will push hard, and try and secure another win, this time a rare home one.

There are several Minors up for grabs. These get more important every season. How they shake out is very hard to predict, bear in mind some of the current leaders are on the maximum six scores already, so if they attend the last round...

It should be a cracking end to another awesome™ season. The best yet, or was that last season?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I suspect that the Nascar title could well be determined by the performance of others, who really add spice to things by dint of the fact they have nothing to lose.

At Gaydon I believe that David and I were on for an intense battle for pole, until I ripped the corner off my best chassis and allowed my head to drop rather than get on with things. I still qualifed second, but if either of us stuff up the heats at Worthing it is unlikely that would be the case.

Roy will want, if he comes, to show he is still top dog in Nascar, Robin has been trying to beat him all year, Gareth is still getting quicker and Darren may be there and we saw what level he is at already. To say nothing of Andy W, who will be feeling more relaxed that David and myself I would think. He produced fastest lap in class on Sunday, will be relaxed and with well prepped cars and in my book starts as favourite to win that A final.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I don't think you could script the Nascar title battle any better than the way it is set up right now! An absolute monster scrap is in the making! I feel privileged to be a part of it and perhaps I've already influenced the battle somewhat by keeping Deane out of the A Final back at Yelling. I'll be running my LL-T again (with a better tyre choice) so things are going to be really intense for those 4 places in the A Final. And factor in Robin who will be gunning for gold after his cruel loss back in January and Darren who will probably demonstrate that the Mega G could be the car of class for next year and it is going to be off the charts!

I am still a little confused about the Main Grade/Premier Grade stuff though so if you could help me out with that, it would be great.

As I understand it, the top two from Main Grade get promoted to Premier. Also anyone with 3 automatic A Final appearances goes up, as does anyone with 4 A Final appearances if they had to go through the B Finals. But what about Minor champions? I am currently less than 20 points behind Julian in the Minors so if he doesn't race, I have a pretty good chance of winning that championship. If Jon Cryer races I need to score 31 points to make sure of it though as he has vaulted up the standings on the back of his HO GP 2nd place. So does the Minor Main Grade champ get promoted?

So how does it work to hve 4 Main Graders promoted? Because I can't see the A Final of F1 being Paul, Craig, John and I as much as it would be amazing for it to happen!

Sorry for the loads of questions but hey, I am a rookie!

·
Registered
884 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 26 May 2011, 23:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So how does it work to hve 4 Main Graders promoted? Because I can't see the A Final of F1 being Paul, Craig, John and I as much as it would be amazing for it to happen!

The way I see it Gareth is Deane indicates that 4 could get promoted if both me and Craig make the A final, very unlikely!, we will both get automatic promotion and will be removed from the table immediately leaving whoever is the top 2 after our removal achieving promotion by finishing 1st and 2nd in the table.

I think

cheers
Paul

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The Minors are a seperate issue, I merely strip out anyone with seven scores from the main tables to create the Minor ones.

With Main Grade and Prem grade, anyone who wins promotion does so instantly, as Paul surmised. So if Paul and Craig qualify for the F1 A final by the time the line up to race in it they will do so as Premier Graders. The battle to get to Prem Grade through promotion would then be between John F, Dave H and yourself.

For Paul, 8th place is enough to ensure he takes the title regardless of what others do. With Craig, in his shoes I would just go flat out and see what happens. He could try and go for 5th place so that he not only gets promoted but does so by finishing second in Main. 5th place would put him on 414, which would not be enough if John F takes second. There are countless permutations if Craig is lower, some of which bring you and David H in to the mix!

As you can imagine I will be printing off copies of the tables for the championships in play, and bringing them with me on June 19th, because the trophies are handed out at the end of the day and I hope to get them all into the right hands...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 26 May 2011, 23:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But what about Minor champions? I am currently less than 20 points behind Julian in the Minors so if he doesn't race, I have a pretty good chance of winning that championship.

You'll beat me because I've already raced 6 times in F1 this season.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 27 May 2011, 08:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You'll beat me because I've already raced 6 times in F1 this season.

Not if I have an absolute fail of a meeting and only get into the G and F Finals.

Thanks for the explanations Paul and Deane. This is going to be great!

I have to say I am surprised at how few typos there are in my posts while shed faced....which I was last night!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Running through the scenarios for Nascar it is clear that both Dave and I have to go for the win, but that Andy may as well do the same as things are too tight to play safe until (perhaps) the dieing second of the season.

Dave is the man in form, but even if he takes another win Andy can finish second and still get the job done. Third for Andy will see David take it, with both on 1050 but David winning on countback to race wins.

You can more or less swap my name for David in the above scenario, except I only have the one win. Therefore a win for me with Andy third would see Andy victor on the countback to second places.

Second place and lower places will only be good enough for David and myself if the guys like Gareth, Robin etc push Andy down the order.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I was just trying to think who else will be running in Nascar. Paul W and Darren will be and I suspect Mike D will be too.

Darren should have solved some of his body issues so I think he and Robin are going to be a real problem for you guys trying to get into the A Final. Mike's no slouch either. I suppose I have to include myself somewhere around there too based on past records although I am less confident about this round due to the sheer number of quality drivers that will be there.

I lent Paul a set of lower tyres for the B Final on Sunday and I believe he did see an improvement with them. If he spends the month practising and tinkering we could see a big improvement from him too.

Either way, whoever wins it will really deserve it.

I'm going to plump for Andy for the title and Dave for the win simply because of what I have seen from them in recent meetings and because Andy has more winning permutations. Andy won't let mechanical issues happen two meets in a row. Of course if Deane discovers another T chassis that he really likes then he could put another performance like Sunday in and then he'll win. Argh! Too much to think about.

On second thoughts: the driver who will win the title is the one who bribes me, Robin and the others to kamikaze their rivals!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Another thought but this one is unlikely due to how good the title protagonists are but what would happen if we had an all WHO drivers A Final? Or say WHO drivers auto qualified for the top three spots. Presumably you would all then drop this score as your worst round so who gets the title?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to finish in the top 5 to increase my total, Dave in the top 7, I think. Andy has no such considerations. It's not a slam dunk though because the field has depth and several drivers who can go for it without a care in the world.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
OK, screw the pen and paper, that rather smacks of Whiteboard syndrome, I have set up a spreadsheet into which the scores can be calculated for those in battles.

There are seven battles.

Nascar and Main Grade have been well covered. There is also Main Grade minor, where Gareth needs 30 points to have a chance to win, and Jon 130. Pro Mod minor has Craig and his Dad in the pound seats but Jon could snatch that.

Nascar Minor will go to Roy if he does not come, or does another class (second one is fine by me!!!). If he does run in Nascar it becomes a straight fight between Robin and Gareth. That is good since those two have something to go for now, and they might tighten up and give the Major title contenders and easier time. Note I say might!

Mod minor there will only be one if Craig runs in the class. If he does then Dave Rouse should win, especially as it looks as if the SCHORC bus won't be coming down, which means no Tony. Finally the minor version of the E-Cup will almost certainly go to Robin.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Good work Deane! That is a brilliant summary. I had no idea I was in with a shout of the Nascar Minor. I need Roy to turn up and race for definite although in a heads up fight with Robin, I'd put my money on him.

Are we likely to see Roy?

So I'm in a battle for (potentially) three championships. And as you all know, I do love my championships. I cannot wait for the 19th now! I'm a keeno as Darren put!

I even created my own karting championship for my friends called the MoFo League a few years back. Regular monthly races at kart tracks around the country doing arrive and drive events. Pace lap out of the pits, reverse grid from the previous event, two 15 minute races per session and a point for fastest lap. We had a results spreadsheet and race reports after too. EAHORC in go karts basically! Great fun but expensive.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The last time I spoke to Roy he was coming.

I think deep down everyone cares about points. I remember when I first started racing there was lots of talk about 'fair' and 'level playing field' and a general idea that the points did not really matter. I never really bought that, and used to feel guilty because thet mattered to me

Assuming that deep down my way was the way most people feel, over the years I have tried to extract as much potential for drama as possible from the formats I use. It makes no sense to me to limit people to two chassis, two classes and to do so year after year, but the question then becomes how to provide more than that within the framework of 20 race meetings (10 AM and 10 PM). Obvioulsy the chassis boredom thing takes care of itself since EAHORC has always been about as much variety as practicable.

When we started having the split classes in the afternoons, I way say around 2007, it created confusion and in some quarters anger. I stuck with it because I had put a lot of thought into it and had a long term plan in mind. I would imagine the EAHORC guys don't give it a second thought today, but at a stroke it added extra championships. The Minors add several more, but for some reason I keep forgetting to 'sell' them to newcomers.

Finally having two grades in F1 adds plenty of drama, as does the Club Championship. There is no trophy for that, I have put forward the idea that they get together and buy something really impressive that the winning club keep for a year, as happens in other inter-club battles in other hobbies.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I will be there providing I can 'pressgang', Roy and possibly some others into travelling down in the SCHORC bus, it would be a fitting end to the Tyco cup, as there are just three that can win it if they all turn up and one that will if they don't.

It would give me the oportunity to say my goodbyes properly to you all, as I depart from regular 'National Racing'.

Although I will be making the occasional 'cameo' appearance at some local rounds, using the OW club cars and whatever class is available in the afternoon!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts