SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I present my first slot car build of 2021. Car #16 Lamborghini Huracan Forza Motorsport Daytona 24hr 2017.

Sideways white kit, paint is, as usual Tamiya gloss black from an a rattle can, decals are MTR, pretty much the same spec as the Black Bull version that I built last year.

Just for info I used Microscale Microsol on some of the decals without any problems, I did not find it necessary to use Microset. Milan recommends that decal softener should not be necessary.

I am quite pleased with how this one turned out.

Also, I noticed this morning on Facebook some pictures of the Sideways Ford GT built by one of the members of the SP Collectible club. Chris tells us they should be available in April.

Take care, stay safe

Andrew

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
9,862 Posts
Very nice. I like the way the inserts sit in the wheels - they tend to be sticking out too much so you must have taken care of them.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hello everyone,

I present my first slot car build of 2021. Car #16 Lamborghini Huracan Forza Motorsport Daytona 24hr 2017.
Sideways white kit, paint is, as usual Tamiya gloss black from an a rattle can, decals are MTR, pretty much the same spec as the Black Bull version that I built last year.
Just for info I used Microscale Microsol on some of the decals without any problems, I did not find it necessary to use Microset. Milan recommends that decal softener should not be necessary.
I am quite pleased with how this one turned out.

Also, I noticed this morning on Facebook some pictures of the Sideways Ford GT built by one of the members of the SP Collectible club. Chris tells us they should be available in April.

Take care, stay safe

Andrew
Awesome job! Forza the very first racing video game that capted my atention since its release something like 15 years ago, I guess its only counter part nowdays are the GT(PS) and the Grid(Cpu) games.

The Huracan is a great base model to do racing liveries!

Congrats mate

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Superb work. Superb 👍

I've been looking at a couple of Milan's Huracan liveries after accidentally picking up another Sideways kit so I have a couple of questions if you'd be so kind?

Did you actually use the large white decals??😬 Or paint the white bits? The idea of trying to get A-pillars smooth with nicely fitting decals seems madness to me and my skill levels!

And, bonus question, if you did use those big looking waterslides, got any tips??😁

Reactions: longdog

·
Registered
375 Posts
Superb work. Superb

I've been looking at a couple of Milan's Huracan liveries after accidentally picking up another Sideways kit so I have a couple of questions if you'd be so kind?

Did you actually use the large white decals?? Or paint the white bits? The idea of trying to get A-pillars smooth with nicely fitting decals seems madness to me and my skill levels!

And, bonus question, if you did use those big looking waterslides, got any tips??
Hi Wankel,

Yes, I used all the decals that are on Milan's sheet including the white bits, I painted the shell all over gloss black, no other painting on the outside of the shell.

I cut the individual decals from the sheet with small scissors, when practical, right up to the edge of the colour, I use an illuminated magnifying lamp when doing this. For the awkward inside bits I use a scalpel with a brand new blade everytime.

Make sure there is not dust/fluff on the shell where the decal has to sit. Wet the surface of the body with water so that the decal will slide easily. Soak the decal in water for a few seconds then place it on a paper towel, let it rest for about 1 min. It should now slide off the backing easily. Try to slide the decal off the backing as near as possible to the correct position onto the wet shell. Now gently tease it into the correct position, I use mostly some stainless pointed tweezers for this. If at any point the decal does not want to slide use a small paint brush to get some more water underneath the decal. Eventually the decal will arrive at where you want it. Dip a cotton bud in the water and roll the cotton end on the end of your finger to squeeze out most of the water and smooth the surface of the cotton and tame any loose hairs. Starting at the middle of the decal, gently roll the damp cotton bud from the centre outwards, squeezing any excess water out. You can use the dry end of the cotton bud to soak up the residue. With a good following wind that's it, you can sit back, have a coffee or maybe something stronger and admire your work. Of course if the decal moves while you are trying to plant it you will probably have to wet under it again with your small paint brush and position it again. I am sure there are many other ways to apply decals, this is the way I do it ..................... I think my results are OK for an old pensioner. Sometimes, I will only apply 3 or 4 decals in a day .......... patience see, the results are much more important than how long it takes.

Like most things in life the more you practice the easier and better the results.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

Take care.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Damn! Really? You used those big slabs o' transfers?

Kudos. 🙏

·
ParrotGod
9,862 Posts
Sometimes, I will only apply 3 or 4 decals in a day .......... patience see, the results are much more important than how long it takes.
I cannot do that! Once I start applying decals I cannot stop until all the decals are on the body.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Beautiful work there, very impressive indeed! By the way, I have just noticed that you live not a million miles away from my daughter and her family, they live just outside of St. Sozt, between Souillac and Martel. Are there any clubs around your way?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautiful work there, very impressive indeed! By the way, I have just noticed that you live not a million miles away from my daughter and her family, they live just outside of St. Sozt, between Souillac and Martel. Are there any clubs around your way?
Hi Longdog, the Slotcar club I go to when I am able ( damned COVID 19 ) is called V12 and is based in Capdenac near Figeac. That's the only one I know of in our area about 60 Km from us and about the same from St. Sozy, I presume you meant St. Sozy.

If we're ever allowed to have a normal life again, perhaps, I'll see you there .............. Keep in touch.

Take care everyone

Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts