Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
redstar
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,this slot car set is interesting because it was made around 1952-3, 4-5 years before scalextric & vip made their first sets.of course it is a single lane roadway not 2 lane racing set.still it was the the first production slot car set made.but very little is known about it.the car is made of bakelite not plastic.the chassis is brass & it has 2 plastic pin guides,1 in front & 1 in back.the front pin has 2 metal contacts ,1 on either side to pick up the electrical current on the insides of the slot channel of the track.the track itself is tin with a cardboard back.the control is a simple push button on & off.the inside of the box mentions using their transformer made from 1949-1953.bub was known mostly for their train sets.it was a very old german company.i believe there are about 4 sets known to exist.thanks,bernard

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Bernard,
Technically, you are correct.
KBN (Karl Bub, Nurnberg) was one of the oldest toy companies in the world, producing tinplate and lead-cast toys since the late 19th century.
The Bub set was never a popular toy in the 1950's, because it lacked the "racing" factor in slot car racing...

Here is an example of an older Karl Bub toy produced in 1913:

bing_3.jpg

This one, you have to wind up with a key!

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Great stuff Bernard - somehow I missed this when you first put it up! The cars look very similar to some of the others that appeared in the 30s and 50s, like the Marx electric set...

Given the Bakelite, maybe the whole key to mass produced tabletop racing sets was having access to practical plastics - and realizing that kids wanted to race, not drive!

Don

·
Registered
402 Posts
HI

Yes, it is interesting the back and forth between racing sets and sets with cars that went around a track. I remember (early 50s) getting a Marx windup set with two racers that went around a trough plastic track set in a figure 8. So although you could not control them, you could "race" them. My brother got the oval with a bunch of windups (cars and trucks if memory serves) that was more of a highway set up.

Somehow what is a clear distinction now, wasn't then.

Great stuff Bernard!!

all my very best,

Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts