SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Hi, here is the first set & cars made by SRM around 1959. The set has 2 cars ,a ferrari & a vanwall, both are 1/40 scale. They use a romford terrier 7-pole motor. The wheels are steel unlike the later SRM cars.the controllers are round & push button on & off. I got this set from Roger Greenslade. I think this may be the only known first-series SRM set to exist.

Thanks,
Bernard

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Bernard
You may be right ,but I suspect that now you have put it out there some smart a$*se will come along and say they have got one
What I do know is that SRM havn,t got one ,in fact they havn,t even got any of the cars in runnable condition
They have a Vanwall and a ferrari but with no motors ,which I found somewhat strange as the cars were later furnished with a motor that was unique to SRM an open frame 3 pole ,this was shortly before they became obsolete and were replaced by the better known lotus ,BRM ferrari and cooper models ,again with their own open frame motor

cheers tony

·
Administrator
9,778 Posts
I hope you're right Tony, I'd love to see some more of these sets. It was surprisingly easy for me to find one of the later sets (with the Michael Turner illustration on the box cover), and I had thought these would be around, but they aren't!

In any case, a great set Bernard, and a good example of how "artisanal" some of the early English sets were, before they really went into mass production.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
I reckon you`re right Bernard.
What an awesome set...I`d love those little cars.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Administrator
9,778 Posts
Here's the later SRM set box illustration, which I happened to have in stock; no pictures of the cars tho.
Don

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Puts my box to shame Don!

The scale of SRM cars was spot on & I think that their Minis are head & shoulders above any produced since.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Actually there was a Vanwall and a Ferrari too, I think.

And I do of course mean Sir Holbert Waring who still runs SRM out of this lovely old building in Harrow, but I have a hard time remembering his name. The inside of the building is like a time capsule, it's amazing, there are even old red fire buckets inside with water in them.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi Tom
sir holburt certainly had bot the dino and the vanwall on his window sill but I had the impression they were both motorless
however you have been there more recently than me

cheers tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts