SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

I tried to resist so very hard, I really did. Others told me it would not be long but I ignored them to my own detriment. It was all going so very well until I visited Nuro and saw his!

Ok, what the hell am I going on about? Well my friends I speak of the rather expensive but throughly sexy Fly Team box set.

I love Vipers! There said it. I may have even dreamed about them at times but shhh! don't tell anyone ok? When the new Vipers finally arrived there was no one happier than me but there was no way I was going to buy three cars exactly the same in an expensive box. That would be stupid after all wouldn't it? I mean I can sort of justify having twenty odd Vipers in different liveries but three the same with just different numbers and wing mirrors, nah, this wasn't for me Guv!

When I arrived in France to shoot 'La Course GT' the first thing I did was to check out Doug's cars. Nothing strange there we all do the same I guess? After a short while I spotted a box set in a corner and had a look, it was the Corvette one and very nice indeed. I cooed at the outer sleeve, shivered at the touch of the box and melted upon seeing the sumptuous models gently encased within. Mmmmmm!

Cue the opening of Safari and doing a quick search of the usual suspects for my slot purchases.
Damn, found one in stock, this is not good. Before I knew it had already called and given my flexible friend's details over once again.

This is what arrived a couple of days later;

Onto another Viper and this time the Valencia one that I have been racing a lot recently. It has already been said a number of times how fast this car is so I won't harp on about it, suffice to say it took my overall track record last night with a time of 5.0235 seconds. The car is box stock except for PPR Supertires.

Fastest times before this were;

Slot.it Porsche 5.0405 (Reverse in line motor mount, Racing magnet & PPR Tires)
Fly Viper 6.0270 (Original Chassis, PPR Tires)
Scalextric McLaren F1 6.2000 (Box stock except for PPR Tires)

Yes, this is of course a magnet time, but was by no means easy to achieve. Just look at what has happened to the car in gaining this time. The first picture shows some chassis damage from front on crashes, a few more of these and I think the splitter will in fact split. The second a slight scar due to exiting the loft hatch and making friends with the ladder on the way down. One of the wing mirrors is also missing and three of the four splitter vanes are lost amongst the scenery. I have lost count of the number of times the rear wing has been refixed, I do however know that it is no longer straight. Don't get me wrong, I am not moaning about the damage to the car or build quality, I have given it a very hard time and some of the crashes have been spectacular to say the least!

The car really has run wonderfully until last night when I slid it round a R1 bend (this is with PPR silicons so quite a feat in itself!). This was the result from a rather too heavy finger from myself at the corner exit and entrance. Must remeber to slide without magnets and not with!

This car will beat five seconds, I just need that perfect lap and a new rear axle!

I could not post such a topic without reminding us all of some of the great earlier liveries of this champion of slot cars (IMHO of course). So here is the rest of my collection for your delictation and viewing pleasure, enjoy!

Julian.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
You've edited that other post then!

Only 20 Slik, you're slipping!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there!

I'm no collector either
Except I have 22 (two are missing from the above photos) of the same car and four copies for racing. Oh and a complete Ninco McLaren collection.

But I'm not a collector, no Sir, not me!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I too loved the new Viper, well worth the wait (and a great article from Slik above btw
)

BUT -

It was STILL lacking that little something, so.............

It boasts an Overdrive kit with extra brakelights. one pair of 5*2 rectangular rear LEDs and two additional sets of Le Mans yellow front 3mm LEDS.

You HAVE to make a slight rewire to the drawing when doing the lights this way.

Connect the 2 white LEDs to one of the white cables for the front and the 4 yellow ones together on the other white cable.
It should go without saying that all connections for front lights should be in parallel.
Connecting as per the supplied drawing will result in the white lights not getting enough power to light up because those yellow ones are really greedy

Enjoy!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there!

Swiss those pictures rock my boat big time baby!

I was talking recently with someone about putting all six lights in the front but I know I would make a mess of the mains. Could you take a pic or two of the inside and let me know how you did it please? The main lights look quite fragile and need a very steady hand I believe.

That's three times I have had to pause typing and have another look at the pictures, make that four now
, the second photo is my fave and deserves to be turned into a SF wallpaper.

Aaron, credit where credit is due, it is a very good car, nay, superb car and as Swiss says above, was well worth the wait. Did you ever get a reaction to my video from Fly?

McLaren, it runs rather well without the magnet, far better than the original. Take a look at the Zwaans video in the appropriate section of this very forum to see it in action sans magnet.

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
It runs very similar to other Fly front motor cars without the magnet, albeit faster because of the motor.
Needs weight at the back to suit your style and Ortmann tyres make it alot more responsive to drive. It is better than the original two viper releases for sure and hopefully the new chassis will fit on the older cars because it rocks!

Slik, the first light conversion on this car was done by Overdrive themselves.
I did mine slightly different but both methods were tough.
I will post a mix of pics from both cars later for sure.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Ok, as promised, the 'how to' pics.

Overdrive did one and also a lit version of the red livery (forget the number) but only have pics of the red one so here is an Overdrive/Swissracer mix of pics to show how it is done.

Firstly Overdrive put alot more work into the back of theirs...

Mine - faster to do-

Used two 3mm red LEDs (brake lights) and two 2*5 rectangle LEDs (rear lights)

Overdrive - looks better I suspect -

Use four 2*5 rectangle LEDs glued and shaped to match the rear lens.

The front was harder.

Overdrive managed to do it and still retain the light brackets ability to snap onto the chassis (If you have opened one you will know what I mean) but I have NO idea how he did it

I went for the cut and glue to the body option, which also helps as I want to set this up as a non mag racer. This means having the chassis and body colliding as little as possible in as few places as possible so...

You can see the light bracket I refer to below, as an overhead shot where the bracket is the black strip holding the two central yellow lights and the two outer white flood lights.

The hardest part is keeping the LEDs, wire and cables away from both the guide and the front wheels...

Hope this inspires a few more lit Vipers! they deserve it and for sure this way will outshine (excuse the pun
) any Fly make for it in the future.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
199 Posts
How do you get this beast to drive properly without magnet

I´ve got the lighted Oreca and took it to the club yesterday...... Put some PM-sillies on it, added some weight (5 gr.) and it ran like a dog!
First it hopped and the usual thing happened: the driveshaft popped out! Glueing it 5! times didn´t cure this problem
Look at the wheels: guess what, the were not round
Even the axle was not straight
Thats just not good enough!
Well, I guess I just have to put more money into Slot-it´s bank! But Fly, beware, one of these days I just may have bought my last car from you!!!!!(which is a shame, ´cause I really like the cars you put out, but the control is just too lousy!)
If it should ever see the track again, where would you recommend to put the lead?

Danny

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
First I use Ortmanns for the rear wheels and Pink Kar slim racing tyres (RV004?) for the front.
I clean and true the rear wheels (replace with Slot.It or BWA if the are too bad) and then glue and true the rear tyres.

Weight for a front engine car should not go up front, the motor will cover that.

I use varying weights just in front of the rear wheels, under the rear axle and ALWAYS - as low as possible and as little as you can to get the car running without slowing it.

Try to get the chassis and body to have as little contact as possible and with no areas where the body can catch, a little play is good, too much is as bad as non at all.

As for weight, play around with it. Every driver has different preferences and driving style, combined with different track style and layout not to mention Rules!

OH! I also would ditch the guide for a Ninco sprung one or Slot.It replacement.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Danny, I have several Fly front motor cars and they handle great with out mags on my Sport track. I usually put about 7 grams of lead just below or just in front of the rear axle to balance the car. This seems to work quite well with the standard tires installed on my track, in fact these are some of my favorite cars to drive. Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
what a fantastic, motivating, post, with great pictures. I purchised this car, lighted , and was a little disappointed to see the whole front of the car covered with light openings, but only two filled with working lights. I guess price is the issue, but they should have used the headlight openings insted of the parking/driving light area. I have passed on a couple of Fly's latest because the price is so high here in the U.S. Finally coughed up the dough for this viper, because I heard they had stopped making them, but hadn't heard they had only switched some details. I was always waiting for a roadster, hopefully with lights. So I am pleased with the car i bought , but don't understand the lighting choice. Your modifications seem to have covered all of that. With my very small skills , it will be quite challenging to get the same results. At least I see it can be done. If I can do it without crying out in frustration, like a little girlie man, remains to be seen.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (beach cruiser)If I can do it without crying out in frustration, like a little girlie man, remains to be seen.

You and me both mate

Swiss really is the leader as far as slot light conversions go in my book

Enjoy the forum beach cruiser and post some pics of some of your others cars, we love pictures here!

Don't forget to have a look at the resourses and other sections too, there is some very inspiring articles.

Cheers,

Julian.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts