SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Phil Smith
2,703 Posts
QUOTE Interesting topic, one I have thought about a lot recently, the drive home from Early Birds '14 kicked it all off.

I personally think these 'off the peg' chassis are both very good, and potentially, bad.

Firstly, they do allow a wider range of chassis to fit the cars, as do the other popular offerings from PP and the like. However the sudden performance gain and influx of BRSCA style steel chassis means that now everyone can have access to potentially a race winning car. This on the whole is good. If the whole field uses these 'new' style chassis, then the competition level will still very high and performance closer than previous.

However, the other side of the coin is that the fabulous Scratchbuilt chassis that we have all admired over the years, could become obsolete, or at the very least, rarer, because rather than spend hours painstakingly drawing, cutting, filing and assembling a chassis, we can by an off the peg chassis, and have a complete running car in less than an hour.

This won't put off the true craftsmen, but perhaps our friends who give it a go (and I include myself in this) with varying levels of success, could be put off. If a meeting has 20 entrants, let's say five craftsmen (Mick Kerr springs to mind), 5 Penelope Pitlane/PCS and more conventional chassis'd runners, leaving half the field to battle it out with the latest Beardog or Mack chassis. This on the whole will lower also the standard of concours, as the majority tend to prefer a beautiful car with a scratch made chassis, over a beautiful car with a purchased chassis.

Also the CSCRA/Wolves, has always had a very competitive atmosphere, but at the same time, a real laugh. If we become to fixed on running stock chassis which we can all buy, it could potentially lower the enjoyment factor.

Jon, that's exactley what I would have said.

Surely a simple ban on laser cut steel chassis would be easy to write into the rules?

·
Phil Smith
2,703 Posts
QUOTE Surely a simple ban on laser cut steel chassis would be easy to write into the rules?

Can I take that back, after reading the postings here I've changed my mind, I don't like them but banning them would be silly.
You can't stop the march of tecnology, things can't be un-invented, we have them so we will have to live with them.
This is my last comment on the subject.

·
Phil Smith
2,703 Posts
QUOTE What was odd about the Mustangs ?

These are the Mustangs that were entered.

The yellow one looks to be a standard (Pioneer?) car, but the red one looks like the arches have been cut and flares added, I think this is what David is refering to.

doesn't look to bad to me, but probably needs to be kept in check.

·
Phil Smith
2,703 Posts
I think this has been a very good discussion, it certainly has changed my mind and I now think there is no problem with these chassis, in fact they may be good for this type of racing, attracting more and new participants.
Just wish you could drill holes in them! (the chassis not the drivers!)

It's now been ten years since I started VECRA, which morphed into CSCRA, and I think all of the aims I had for it when I started have been accomplished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.