SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
QUOTE (Hobby @ 12 Aug 2014, 13:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a point about modern spring steel laser cut chassis. We have had them around in 'Classic' racing for some time now. I think the first volume offering was the 'Monoposto' Chassis designed by Ralph Parker and made and sold by Andy Brown-Searle This was soon followed by Ralph's 'Can Am' GT chassis from the same outlet.
Both of these were first available well over 10years ago!
Good point.
Banning laser cut chassis would prohibit a lot of the cars out there - is that good for attracting competitors to meetings?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
QUOTE (tedm @ 12 Aug 2014, 22:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are you actually saying? That historic type slot cars must be slow? I've seen plenty of full-size historic racing and slow it ain't.... What is Hi-tech anyway?;to some people,an anglewinder is Hi-tech;alloy wheels are Hi-tech. You could say any car that is not completely "off the shelf" or uses any replacement parts is Hi-tech.I don't have a answer to this one-I've got a feeling there isn't a fully satisfactory answer, anyway..........
TED.......
The discussion seems to center at least as much around whether vintage slot racing parts and techniques should be mandatory.
There is a place for racing cars with just that, but it meetings like the Netley Classic seem to be full niece looking models of cars from the 1960s, many made from modern parts. Is there a problem in having races for both?
Slot cars with alloy wheels were around from the 1940s (maybe earlier?) and anglewinders were around in the 60s as were a few chassis cut from spring steel sheet - in slot car terms that's pretty genuinely vintage!
There is lots of encouragement for hand built stuff in retro racing. Quite a few of the racers are none too keen on "off the shelf" stuff. (and of course some modern "off the shelf" stuff is certainly high tech)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Interesting thoughts about concours
I like to see the extra detailing and other work added by the builder, and really good scratch built stuff. Yes there is some niece looking RTR stuff out there, but getting a RTR item out of the packet and on the track without mucking it up isn't going to get my concours vote.

If well made chassis are to to be judged, maybe that should be a separate award?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
QUOTE (tedm @ 14 Aug 2014, 13:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As for banning metal chassis .......
Was anybody was talking about banning metal chassis? Some people seemed to be encouraging the scratch building of metal chassis.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but don't metal chassis form a large part of the field at most of these events?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.