SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sunday June 27 2004 at Phoenix. The above race meeting,sponsored by Gaugemaster Controls will take place at Phoenix to bring together the home/newbie/club racer in a friendly competition. The event will be sponsored by Gaugemaster Controls who will award prizes for the top three Juniors and Seniors. In addition Phoenix will present the following trophies...

Top 3 Senior racers
Top 3 Junior racers
Top Youngster (youngsters are minimum age group at 5,6,7 years of age)
Top visiting senior racer
Top visiting Junior racer
Top visiting youngster racer
Top Dads `n` Lads team (best two scores added)
Top SF member (and the Venturi car still waiting to be won!)
Fastest lap set by a visiting racer (No Phoenix racer)

The competition will comprise running 6 heats for all drivers of ten laps duration for qualifying. Every driver will be placed in a group final for overall position i.e. the top 6 qualifiers are the Group A final and so on. Only Fly box standard cars of the normal mabuchi type motor are allowed (no newer rectangular motors). The car may be tuned and prepared/glued in components are fine but in no other way may it be altered. The car must run clean and dry tyres and only be trued, not ground down. No stickty tape etc. Any braids may be used and any controller.

The meeting will begin with open practise/racing on saturday afternoon. In the evening `Night racing` will take place on the Phoenix circuit,for fun. This will be for any Fly car with headlights (retro fitted lights are fine as is any make of lights. however it is strongly recomended to fit lights that permanmently glow). The Phoenix circuit has street lighting around the circuit and red glow lamps at ceiling level for safety. There will also be a BBQ ,a beer tent and possibly some other form of entertainment on the night! The race fee for Saturday practise/racing and BBQ is £5 per head to include your food. The race fee for Sunday is £6 a head but a family will pay no more than £10 maximum,even if it`s a Dad or Mum with four kids who want to race on Sunday. (Book in for both days at £10 per individual or £20 for a family for both days).

This meeting will produce close racing as the cars are almost the same. Magnet racing produces a level playing field and minimises the advantage of the Phoenix racers, trophies are there for visiting racers to compete for seperately. It aims to produce good,close racing in a super atmosphere with a high degree of social contact and fun for all. I hope to see you there. We can take 100 racers for this event so I will be asking racers to book in with me during May. Further details to follow including trade presence etc etc etc.

Cheers Guy! Hope you can make it and I`m having a go myself this time!! Should be a laugh then
Aaron I`ve got a tent that you can use!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
fair enough, but if we have to run untweaked tyres then that means that your guys have to do the same!!! no lighter fluid or sticky tape to be used by them either!!!!

book 5 places for wrexham, that should cover it depending on who's going, will ask on monday or sunday depending

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Inte, just to be clear. Tyres are only cleaned with lighter fluid or sanding and not soaked. The lighter fluid has to be wiped off which means the tyres are dry. Using tape can leave a residue on the track and the above cleaning method doesn`t. There is always club supplied lighter fluid by the sander in the club.

Good man for booking in, we`ll need names in May but that`s a start matey so thanks for the support. I`ll get to race in this one so I`m looking forward to it. Also nite racing at ours is great fun too

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Jonny 2 things, tyre cleaning sounds like a complete load of poo! you either allow it or not simple as mate not meaning to sound harsh.

other thing, most probably wont be there on saturday, and I think £5 for entry is enough to be honest, if you get 100 people thats £500, so you cant really complain!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 31 Mar 2004, 17:57)Inte, just to be clear. Tyres are only cleaned with lighter fluid or sanding and not soaked. The lighter fluid has to be wiped off which means the tyres are dry.
Inte, I though Jonny is allowing tyre cleaning - well that's my interpretation of the quote anyway

Mark.

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Whatever the tyre cleaning rules, it sounds like a good time to me! (How about "Tyres may be trued. They may only be cleaned with lighter fluid. They must be run dry" ?) Any "excessive" truing - i.e. grinding down to be like rubber bands could be covered by there being a requirement for some of the original tread to be visible. I think I'm right in saying that all Fly cars have some sort of tread or 'wear bar' pattern on the tyres. One thing - please may we glue the motor in? Saves on stripped contrates and that sort of malarkey.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it already. Nice one Jon!

Mooster

·
Registered
420 Posts
ok - sounds like another fun thing jonny! But since I know that you really like it to be a fun thing for all... I was a bit surprised that the prices are given to top this and top that - only. This does put an seriously competitive edge to it - that is ok - but some catering for the less competitive ones might be a good idea (might have a chance myself then).

- how about a price that is being drawn - among those that racers that actually participate but do not qualify among the top in anything? That would at least give those 'not-so-good' racers that do it for fun a little 'something' for their enthusiasm... - not only thinking about me here....

//peter

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
OK we are off to a good start.

Inte I meant tyre cleaning, we are all doing the same,please keep it simple. The price? Did you read it carefully?I doubt mate. I am charging a fiver for an afternoon and an evenings racing including your BBQ, most will not come on the Sunday only so a race fee of £6 is the normal Phoenix race fee for a day`s racing. So in all you get a weekend for £11 (say £10 max if you book into both days). I reckon that`s good value nowadays and is less than the price of an average Chinese takeaway! I did my bit for charity last weekend and personaly invested £1,200 into that (and Paul Leyser around £600) and I give good value for money.

Peter my Swedish mate, not sure I should be talking to you after the football result. I think you meant prize instead of price draw. I hear you and we will have a raffle prize draw. Don`t give up before you start matey, this will be CLOSE racing, trust me. the trophies are biased towards the visitor if you check carefully so the Phoenix lads can`t run away with everything.

Mooster, thanks mate, yes let`s adopt those tyre rules as they make sense so no grinding down guys! Glueing in motors and axle bearings and axles etc, comes under normal car prep, so no probs. What I mean by box standard is no modifying the car in any way. If unsure guys, best to ask.

John, no weight you will not need it on the Phoenix circuit. Box standard cars guys for very close racing

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joking aside...yes it does. You can camp or caravan for free and park safely for the weekend for free. I draw the line at tucking you in at night but if you speak nicely to the Mrs. she`ll bring a bacon banjo to you in the morning...Yeah right!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE I was a bit surprised that the prices are given to top this and top that - only.

Well, it is a race after all... Why don't we give a prize to Coultard because he's such a nice guy, even though he probably won't win a race, qualify on the front row, or set a fastest lap this year...

Just a little niggle with me. I am accused of being too competitive. I am repeatedly told "it's just little plastic toys...". Screw them, with lap timers running, I will do all I can (within the rules and acceptable racing behaviour) to win. As should everybody. Prizes for 'the bloke who tried the hardest' should be the prize for 'the guy who wasn't good enough to win'. Sorry, but if you don't want a competition, turn off the lap counters.

Sorry, highjacked another post with my insane rantings... try no to do it again.

Lotus

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 1 Apr 2004, 00:38)Joking aside...yes it does. You can camp or caravan for free and park safely for the weekend for free. I draw the line at tucking you in at night but if you speak nicely to the Mrs. she`ll bring a bacon banjo to you in the morning...Yeah right!
Great stuff. Appreciate that jonny! I'd draw the line at you tucking me in at night too

Just send your Retriever in to wake me up and I'll go get the bacon sarnie from wherever your better half is cooking them.
We got a new, larger companion for our 2 Yorkies the other week. Yep you guessed it a golden retriever - she's about 15 week old now and mental! Intelligent yes, but MENTAL!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It`s not a problem for me Lotus because what you are saying is true, we are racing, not collecting or spotting or...

However, here is something that I believe came out of this first meeting where we got to know some of the SF members a little better. Peter has a cracking sense of humour and I could plainly see his smiling face when I read his post. He`s a really nice guy and I believe I do understand him better for having met him.

Peter, I have a special prize for ....the Worst Swedish driver that lives in Portsmouth, has a really nice girl friend, spent the Phoenix GT meeting in a bad Hotel, runs on a carerra home circuit , doesn`t really like magnet cars or competing too seriously and his national side recently beat England in a football friendly! Sounds as though you may win something this time Peter!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks jonny... you are a star.... I will certainly try to live up to your description next time as well

@lotus

well - race is a race is a race is a race?

It can be that a race only accepts racers that are qualified as racers. The rest of us can then be awed by looking at the elite and enjoy their driving skill. On the other hand - if it is to be a family weekend with some racing included it might not always be obviously elite only. There is a difference between different kind of races. Yes it is perfectly ok I think to have some races focusing mostly on the fun aspect. And it would under those circumstances be not 'only' ok - but also quite sensible - to have some prize for 'some who are just not good enough'...... or whatever. So you have to forgive me if I was under the impression that this particular 'race' was inviting newcomers to participate and was not 100% intending to give the 'elite' (only?) yet another racing weekend.

//peter

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This event is aiming to set as level a playing field as possible and encourage everyone to believe they have a chance in a competive but friendly meeting. As ever I will add in additional racing, perhaps on a seperate circuit for more fun type racing. Remember too the Saturday element is provided for fun, just as it was on Sunday only this time I`m going to turn the lights out

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
the event sounds good jonnyS! not sure if I can make it yet.

But what are the best Fly's to race, out of the box? I have a number, but they have been significantly tuned and modified, so I will have to get a new 1 if I can come

Cheers

Dave

1 - 20 of 60 Posts