SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,065 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 12 Mar 2004, 07:02 AM)Howmet, JohnP?
Doh!

The first slot car magazine I ever bought was the October 1963 Model Roads and Racing. Still have it. "For the average enthusiast 2/6" it said at the foot of the cover page. And that was me really an "average enthusiast" (not 2/6).

But in fact my introduction to slot racing was a little earlier than that - in 1961. As part of our run up to the Christmas festivities my Mum would take me to Gamages, a large London department store - gone now sadly. Each year they would have a large model railway display EXCEPT that this one time it had a scenic Scalextric layout in with it too. Even at that tender age I loved motor racing and seeing this display was a complete WOW! Yes please Santa! Christmas morning arrived - yes a big box. Just as I had hoped. Ripped off the paper... - %$£"!"^ Triang train set! Ah well, that was a blast anyway.

So it was a year later, Christmas '62, that I got my first Scalextric: a GP3 set with red and green Coopers and figure of eight rubber track. Great! Played with it non-stop until my Dad gave me an ultimatum that evening. He wanted to watch the Morcambe and Wise Christmas Special and the cars were interfering with the telly!

I never did anything serious competition wise, or wanted too. It was just great fun building the cars and racing with my mates - mainly on each other's layouts but also with trips to commercial set-ups like my "local" Beatties in Southgate.

Well I'm even boring myself now. So, to cut a long story short, other interests took precedence as slot racing was forgotten to the joys of S&D&R&R (as Ian Dury once sang). Now I'm sure you'd rather hear about that

Oh and Mrs h. Our thoughts are with you... and Russell's knitwear. I'm sure howmet will be in a safe and secure environment very soon now.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Thanks David, I look forward to seeing more of your cars.

This is all that remains of my '70s Betta shells

Both were painted with Humbrol enamel, as is clearly evident from the Renault! The Wolf by comparison has faired well. It used Humbrol metallic paint which seemed to stick better than the gloss.

As you may have gathered from some of my other posts I really like the character of these Betta shells having recently made up these:

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Fabulous David - I'll be gazing at those for hours! These cars have a very special meaning for me as it was around this time that my own interest in slot racing was rekindled. I suspect this was largely down to James Hunt and the considerable attention he was receiving from the British media at that time. It wasn't just the usual Autosport and Motoring News taking note either: I remember cutting some pictures of JH's Hesketh for reference from one of my wife's magazines - quite possibly destroying a very valuable knitting pattern in the process! Oops!

Graham, thanks for your story too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.