SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts

Herewith advance details of the World Proxy Can-Am Series being organised by Phil Kalbfell, Chris Briggs and Graham Windle, so that you can all get building for the biggest proxy race series ever - The Greatest Show on Earth!

The series will be conducted during 2005 on wooden routed tracks in Australia, America and the United Kingdom.

The first round of the World Proxy Can-Am series will be held in Tasmania, Australia on April 19th. The cars need to arrive by April 12th.

Dates for the US races are still to be confirmed but will be during June and July. The UK rounds will take place during the summer, with the Pendle round confirmed for the weekend of 13th and 14th August.

Keep checking the official World Proxy Can-Am Series website for updates and more details.

Introduction:

In 1966 the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) along with the CASC (Canadian Automobile Sports Club) founded the Can-Am series for Group 7 sports cars. With sponsorship from Johnson Wax, the Can-Am was the best paying racing series in the world. The series only lasted nine seasons (1966-1974) but while they raced, the cars were the pinnacle of motor sport technology. The Can-Am pushed the limits of engineering. Advances were made in aerodynamics, turbo-charging and the use of exotic materials such as fibreglass, aluminium and titanium. That was until the fuel crisis, the rule-makers and the increasing cost of technology ended it all. The 2005 World Proxy Can-Am Series aims to replicate the spirit of the Can-Am series in 1/32nd scale, with races being held in North America, Australia, the United Kingdom and possibly Europe.

Car Specifications:

- The body must be an accurate 1/32nd scale representation of any car that raced in the Can-Am series from 1966 to 1974, although cars which raced in the USRRC championship- which preceded the Can-Am series - are also eligible. Any colour scheme may be used but should be realistic. Bodies must be either 'hard' plastic, resin, fibreglass, or styrene (minimum thickness 30 thou.). Please check with the organisers if you wish to use a body made from other materials. Appendages such as on the real car (e.g. spoilers, wings and diaplanes) may be Lexan or other lightweight material.

- Body must be mounted securely but can "float". If using pins to mount the body, the pins must have heads and must not protrude more than 1.2mm outside the body.

- All bodies must display at least 3 race numbers; one on each side and one on the front.

- All bodies must contain an interior tray of plastic or styrene, a minimum 10 thou. thick, comprising a three dimensional driver with head, shoulders, arms and a steering wheel. (Vacuum-formed windshields and interiors are permitted).

- The body must fully enclose the chassis, tyres and other running gear, including the guide and braid, when viewed from above. Maximum width is 63.5mm (2.5"), however the width may exceed 63.5mm (2.5") if substantiated by credible evidence.

- Maximum width, measured from the outside edges of the contact patch of the tyres, must not exceed 63.5mm (2.5"), regardless of the scale dimensions of the real car.

- Minimum ground clearance is 1/16", including under the gear.

- In the spirit of the real Can-Am series, chassis can be any design and made from any material but no laser or EDM-cut components, other than the guide-tongue and axle pillow-blocks, may be used. The chassis MUST BE SOMETHING THAT CAN BE BUILT IN THE HOME WORKSHOP. Production or conversions of production chassis will be allowed. The centre of the guide pivot shall be no more than 100mm in front of the centreline of the rear axle. Only one guide flag or guide pin may be used.

- Axle ball bearings or ballraces are NOT permitted.

- Any motor can be used, however cobalt magnets are not permitted. Note that there is a limit on the amount of power that can be put to the ground and the cars must be easy to drive for all drivers. In last year's WPRS, Plafit Fox motors were right on the limit for power! The motor must be the same for each track; no changing to a 'hotter' motor for the faster tracks. The motor may be replaced at any time with another of identical specifications.

- Wheels and tyres must be to scale, conforming to the real car. Wheel width must match original specs of prototype, but in any case cannot exceed 14.28mm (.5625") measured between rim beads. Wheels must contain decorative inserts. Minimum inside hub diameter is 9.5mm (and must be fitted with suitable wheel insert).*

- Minimum front tyre diameter is 18mm (.700"), minimum width 7mm (.276"). Minimum rear tyre diameter is 19mm (.748"), maximum tread width 14mm (.550"). All tyres must be black. 'Piranha', 'Tuna' and other "fish" type sponge tyres work well on our tracks.*

*The AVS Shadow or similar 'small wheel' cars will be exempted but wheels and tyres must be scale size.

Handicapping:

To give an incentive to contestants wishing to enter narrow cars with narrow tyres, e.g. Lotus 19/23 or Brabham BT8, the "Marconi" handicap system will be used:-

- From the maximum allowed width, measured from the outside edges of the contact patch of the tyres, with 63.5mm (2.5") representing 100% of the allowable width, 1 point for every percentage point under the maximum allowed width will be added to the score of any car UNDER this width. Each percentage point represents 1.27mm (.050"). There will be no sub-fraction of this basic number.

- From the maximum allowed tyre contact patch width of 14mm (.550"), representing 100% of allowable width, 1 point will be added for every .25mm (.010") UNDER the maximum contact patch width. There will be no sub-fraction under this basic number.

The points will be added after all the rounds to determine the overall winner.

NOTE 1: All full-size racing tyres have curved sidewalls representing up to 20% of the total tire width. Any car entered with straight sidewall tires exceeding the 14mm (.55") width limit will be subject to a deduction of 10% of its overall scoring.

NOTE 2: Any car found to exceed the maximum allowed width of 63.5mm (2.5") will have DOUBLE the number of points per the formula described above DEDUCTED.

Confused? This may sound complicated but it means that if your car is 56mm wide, you would gain 6 points. If this car had 10mm wide tyres, it would gain a further 16 points. This formula has been tried in the Marconi races and proven to be a fair and successful 'equaliser'.

Click here for a list of suitable bodies.

=

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh, this sounds like fun...

Have they already got the tracks they want to run?
Any chance of being a host to one of the races? I would love to host one if the race goes to the USA...

LMK--Dickie

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Just to let you know how great I think this all is, Russell. I just have to try and focus in on what I'm actually going to enter.
But thanks, thanks and thanks again. This IS going to be GREAT!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Late decision but I am in, car will be sent as soon as it is ready.

Will this do?

Pic courtesy of Maxi Models

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Nice looking Mc Eagle. Send it on down ! the only car hear is getting sorted on all the tracks simply because it was here early.

Phil

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Finaly I made a start on the car last night ,hopefully it will be running by monday .Its basicaly the same set up as I used for the uk 2003 merc but with a different motor so I think it should be ok .Pics soon

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Heres the starting point ,it wont be the same when finished though
Table Wood Computer keyboard Peripheral Tool
The chassis is a parma international 32 which will be heavily moded and the motor is one of my modified scx units which runs about 30.000rpm.
Body is by betta and is a shadow dn 6c

Attachments

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Almost ready to go in the post on monday its had a couple of test runs and handles well although it seems to be lacking in sheer top end speed Ive been able to match last years car round my track and I know it will re-gear to suit our faster tracks when it comes back

Chassis is a modified parma international 32 the pics below show whats been done

Ive added a centre hinge and torsion bars body movement is taken care of by loose tubes

Instead of my usual anti deck rail Ive just increased the thickness of the centre hinge for simplicity and speed of construction

Just a few details to add now and its off to Aus ,Unless the UK post office havent got there act together in which case it will arrive 4 weeks late.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Graham: Put a Fox into my shortened Inter 32 and it is right up with the best cars that have arrived so far. Now if I can find that Lola 310 body that I think I have somewhere I may even run it in the series with the McLaren that is still to be finished!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Graham

What body is that? Looks more like a "thingie" than a Shadow! Is it legal?

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 20 of 30 Posts