SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have built many layouts. always learning from the previous.

I now have two layouts, one permanent and the other portable, both of which there are build threads on here.

As one of the kids is already gone and the other just about to, soon, I will not have to share the loft!! It will all be mine!!

I could leave the everything as it is or could take the chance to see if I could build one layout that could be both portable and permanent (a bit like Woodingboys).

So here we go:

The Planning Stage.

I want to use the existing portable boards as they are built and wired.

I have two board formations I want to explore and so have had a quick stab at creating layouts.

The first configuration has the boards on two rows of three which will give me a table 6ft, 10in x 12ft or 2m x 3.65m.

The second configuration has all the boards in a row which will give me a table 4ft x 20ft, 5 inches or 1.22m x 6.25m.

Both configurations fill a specific space with the loft room leaving me enough space to still have a sofa, TV, etc and to fit in some new display cabinets and my workbench.

The idea is to have a fast, flowing track with a technical bit or bits as it seems I am racing DTM, BTCC and touring cars nowadays, It will also suit F1 and karts.

And I want to have enough space to incorporate my buildings and other scenery that is already in use on my permanent layout.

Track Plans.

A couple of the layouts were based on Fishydelishy's Bourne Raceway (so thanks Fishy) and the last two are based on my portable track.

These are what I have come up with so far:

No 1

No 2

No 3

No 4

No 5

No 6

Your comments, ideas would be appreciated.

·
Circuit Owner
5,906 Posts
I really like number 5 - that sequence of tight composite curves before the main straight are VERY nice and would make the track much more interesting as well as being a great test of how well you set up your cars (assuming you will run without magnets).

I like the pit lane with a physical gap to the main straight in track 6 but the track itself would get very boring very quickly I feel - not enough of a challenge.

If you could get the separated pit lane in track 6 combined with the sensuous curves in track 5 that would be a winning combination in my book.

No need for the out to in curved lane changer - you have plenty of lane changing opportunities and the out to in lane changer is always a bit hit and miss, especially at speed.

I think I would like to steal your design for my own man cave when I get it sorted out

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi

Thought I'd give some feedback based upon my experience with The Bourne Raceway.

If I had as much room as you I'd redesign my track as below:

1) The first turn is one of the best challenges, the subtle change in radius in the middle presents a real challenge to get the speed and slide just right, too fast you'll crash, get it right and you can a lot of speed around the bend. I'd sneak the pit exit into the middle of the corner.

2) Don't have a lane changer under the bridge, that will guarantee crashes.

3) The RH CLC before the back straight gets very little use, I'd get rid and then open the corner out for more speed into the back straight.

4) The hairpin is too tight using 4 R1s, that is the most common crash spot. I'd open that out with a R2, R1, R1, R2 combo.

5) The kink before the bridge straight changes from 1/2 R2 to a R4 to allow more speed.

6) Keep the In/Out RH CLC at the end of the bridge straight its the most important lane changer for overtaking. Also keep the bridge straight, its a great place to floor it up hill and go for a pass.

7) Keep a whole straight before the pit entry, cars tail slide out of the 202.5 degree bend before it.

The fastest lane is the inside lane down the main straight. The two main overtake manoeuvres are change at the XLC after turn one just before going under the bridge, then switch back at the XLC before the hairpin, or if you don't make it then use KERS up the bridge straight for full speed and cut in front on the CLC at the end of the bridge straight. Also you can race down the back straight following someone close, hit the CLC to go to the inside of the hairpin, judge it right and you can cut down the inside then full throttle over the bridge and switch back on that CLC.

Hope that makes sense!

Oh forgot to say, we don't like Out/In CLCs so only use In/Outs. The RH at the end of the bridge straight is used for overtaking as I said early, but also to get into the right lane for the pits. The following LH is CLC is really useful to go around someone slowing for the pit entry, especially if they have run out of fuel!!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, some useful stuff which I will have to digest later.

In the meantime:

Hows this Mr Modifier?

No 5a

And then I stumbled across another layout idea which inspired me to come up with these two, which I did before I saw Fishydelishy's input and I will look into further later.

Not too worried about XLC and CLC placement at the moment as these I can easily tweak when I test. It's the flow and continued racing interest I really want to nail.

No 7

and No 8

·
Prof I T
11,098 Posts
Hi
I like the #5 & #6 hybrid idea very much,space between the main track and pitlane is desirable.😎

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I realise it would be a huge step to not use your existing boards but going down the J-Trak route would give you portability, variation and expansion potential. Now that I have these features available to me I find track design much less stressful as it doesn't have to be just one layout forever. The first three layouts are made from the same six modules, the last image is a J-trak version of your portable track.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
You've got a lot of good options already Steve, so I would suggest you set them up and do plenty of laps on them with a variety of cars to see what works best for you. I'd like to selflessly volunteer to help you out, should you require a second opinion... all in the name of furthering the project of course.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now had time to go through FishyDelishy's points.

So have come up with these variations:

No 5b - I really liked Fishy's first curve so I've included it, which then allowed me to reshape the pits.

No 8a

and No 8b

I am really liking how these latest versions have turned out. I will probably keep going with just these.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the offers of help.

Once the kids have all flown the loft and got shot of the sofa, I will then have the space to set up the boards and start the testing phase.

Hopefully next month, for testing in September.

The first testing will be using the boards in the long thin set up, using layout No. 5b or whatever letter I have got to by then. This is because there will be less to do to get it up and running.

Keep the ideas coming.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
I really like 5b. I'm thinking about lifting my loft track and starting again as I'm a bit bored of it and I think next time I'd make a much slower more technical layout with the long narrow space I've got, which is about 1m x 6m from memory so roughly the same size and shape.

The other two... 8a & 8b, I can count 8 lane changers without including the pit in & outs and I think that's way too many for a track that size. Accommodating all those is forcing the track to be less interesting than it could be, personally I'd take at least 3-4 of them out. Starting at the powerbase I'd suggest to retain the first flowing left hander, the right hand kinks and heading over the bridge and with another flowing right hander at the top left corner going into to the back straight, then aim to make the rest of the lap a little more complex with added curves and kinks in the same style as the long thin circuit. Maybe a really tight left hander at the front left into the start/finish straight like at Laguna Seca, with the pit in just before it?

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
5b is nice but I would get bored in no time: it is a oval at the end of the day.
8a instead has much more variety: each corner present a unique challenge, it has changes in direction and proper straights where you can punch it!
Plus 8a has equal length lanes: in 5b if all are reasonable ok in driving in the inner lane there is no way you can overtake someone else with similar car/skill on the outside lane.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, after some further deliberation I have started preparing for layout plan 5b.

Here is the pit exit.

A closer look to show how I've done it.

I used a R/H IN to OUT CLC, the outer lane of an R4 curve and the inner lane of an R2 curve.

I'm rather pleased with it!!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
How about making this change ........... ?

·
Prof I T
11,098 Posts
Hi
Some nice neat cutting and splicing there Steve 👏I love to see digital tracks that have cut up track sections to get what you want,proper out the box thinking 😎

The pics Greg has added are by far the best Scalextric l/c there is,its not so much as just a lane change but a genuine overtake section,the one I had in my plastic layout was worth 0.5 second a lap compared to just taking the usual path from either lane.👍

Something you should be easily be able to do with the skills you have shown so far 😉

1 - 20 of 154 Posts