SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Harold Logan is 78 years old today.
Harold was one of the pioneers who pushed the concept of slot car racing from a track he built with his friends in a neighbours garage, to the pages of the then conservative and car-loving Los Angeles Times newspaper, creating widespread interest in the new hobby around the Los Angeles area.

Recently, Harold found these pictures, the very ones used in the newspaper story. I am posting them here for you to enjoy as part of a time when people were a bit kinder and gentler than what modern kulture has produced today.

You can see the beautiful routed track with full decor, then the Lotus 24 built by Harold with suspension using flexible nylon axles. The power comes from a train motor, the wheels and tires are hand made and the body is fiberglass.

Harold worked for Mickey Thompson on the land speed record vehicle Challenger, the first to beat John Cobb's 1947 record with the Napier-Railton, then on the Kurtis 500 entered at the Los Angeles Times Grand prix by Thompson. He also took pictures for the LA Times and attended every local race as a track marshal.
Regards,

Doc Pea

G

·
Philippe, those are really great pictures I could have done with those for the book.

Happy Birthday Harold, My dad is 81 today I have just come home from his birthday gathering

Best wishes.

Jeff.

·
Jim Moyes
5,076 Posts
Wonderful pictures, Doc.

Love the track, nice little touch of the D-type all crumpled by the tree on the hairpin.

Does Harold still pick up a controller from time to time?

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crashed D-type is of course a Strombecker car. Harold did not touch a controller since 1965. He has many fantastic (but true) stories about racing and the people of that magic era.
Regards,

Doc Pea

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
What a wonderful story!.....Thanks for sharing Dr.P., and many happy returns to Harold.

That layout looks superb and would be a credit to any owner today, let alone 50 years ago. Magnificent.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
715 Posts
You really can't help but notice the peace (haven't said that in a while) and relative satisfaction on this guys face. VERY decent track. It looks as if (if routed as stated) it was routed in sections. Smart.

-Maltese

1 - 12 of 12 Posts